Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dragonfly Soap w/photo

Posted by Jill_NC (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 15, 03 at 16:39

This is a Milkway Mold that I picked up, when I first started soaping, on clearance at WSS. I had grand plans of painting on the design...but that didn't work...at all. Then I thought I'd just pour different colored soap into the various parts of the design--besides not being able to find non-migrating dyes that would work---it seemed like a real PITA. Then I remembered seeing soaps done over at FineArtMolds.Com and how they were done resembling a cameo. I thought maybe that'd work okay.

Pouring the hot, opaque base was tougher than I thought. I used a pipette and that helped some...but I figured I could just scrape out the overpour. In theory it may have worked, but not in "real" life. Then I figured the warmth of the overpour would melt the little specs of white base that were left---that didn't happen either. Then there are a couple of bubbles that you can see at the bottom of the design in the white part. The overpour was clear base colored w/blue mica powder. I was glad to see that the mica clouded up the clear because I didn't want to be able to see through it. I'd thought about adding a chunk of white, but decided against it--glad I did.

Anyway--that's how it came out. Not bad for the first try and something I might try again - but not while trying to cook DS's mac 'n cheese lunch while he's trying to get into the garbage! LOL! And y'all will be happy to hear that I finally got this bar to smell good!

Jill

ps...if you have any other ideas on how to pour this soap bar--please share! This is THE LAST "fancy" mold I'm ever buying! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: link to dragonfly soap photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dragonfly Soap w/photo

Jill,
That came out GREAT! the flaws WE soapmakers see are usually UNNOTICABLE to everyone else!
Ya did a good job girl!

Hazel

o

I think it looks just fine, Jill. The "flaws" you mentioned aren't flaws, it's called character and uniqueness. You are way too hard on yourself!

Honestly, I would be THRILLED to get such a beautiful bar of soap, so if you don't like, I'll gladly give you my address. *nudge nudge* ;o)

Andrea

o

(blushing) -- thx girls! I was pretty pleased with the way they came out (made 2). Learned some stuff too! At least I didn't add to the scrap pile.

Andrea--I hear, from a little birdy, that you have LOTS of soap to make (or at least the supplies to do it)!

Is there any other way I could *make* this bar of soap w/out doing the cameo thing?

J

o

Jill, it's beautiful!! Yes, you are too hard on yourself.
What scent did you use? Sandra

o

Sandra--I was gifted a scent called "Butterfly Kisses" and I used that.

o

I love it! I had my eye on that mold too but I didn't get it. I'll have to place another order now!

o

LOL...yes, I have plenty of base now, thanks to our "little birdy"! You'll be glad to know that my poor car is 100 pounds lighter now. =)

So if not the cameo look, what're you looking for? Dark dragonfly on light background? Try your tie-dye design...I bet that would look pretty cool. Additives maybe?

Sorry, I'm terribly uncreative so not much help there.
Andrea

o

Jill -
You just need to make more of them to work the bugs out of the process.

o

I can't see anything wrong with it - I think it looks mahvelous dahling, just mahvelous!!!

o

Flaws, what flaws? They look absolutely perfect to me. I fall prey to that self-depreciating behavior too. We need therapy. LOL! Seriously - Great job!

Magi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here