Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
insurance

Posted by kjdunc (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 9, 09 at 15:19

I am just considering selling my lotions and oils at a local market(renting a table kind of thing). My mom is in insurance and insists that I need to get product liability insurance. Any comments on this? Is it really necessary at my level?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: insurance

Some markets require proof of insurance-- usually they mean general liability ("slip and fall" insurance) in case someone injures themselves at your booth. This can be added on to your homeowner's insurance as a rider for virtually nothing.

Product liability ("eat it and die" insurance) is an entirely different type of insurance, averaging between $400 & $1000/yr US. Larger shows usually require proof of this. (and if you wholesale, you definitely want to have it as a standard "good business" practice). It would cover injury to a person due to having used your product. How much you need it is really up to how much risk you're willing to assume with your product-- personally, I would want to assume zero because I don't know (1) if a person will be sensitive or allergic to an ingredient I've used, (2) how bad that reaction might be (minor discomfort or life-threatening) or (3) how litiginous said person might be.

That said, how much of a "business" is this market going to be? Will you make up the cost of the insurance? (you do have to renew it every year.) There is no question that small business have a huge struggle with these "administrative" costs and sometimes we end up taking the risks & hope nothing happens until we can afford to do everything "right".

Unfortunately, this is all your call. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here