Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
??Suspension Base Supplier??

Posted by CraftyGirl75 (heath1124a@aol.com) on
Mon, Feb 24, 03 at 11:39

Does anyone know a supplier of a good suspension base? I used to be able to get it locally but not anymore.

TIA
Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ??Suspension Base Supplier??

Does WSS have it? I know they did have a selection of bases....

Hazel

o

First place I looked Hazel. Can't seem to find it on there website anywhere. At least the description doesn't specifically say "suspension base".

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Heather

o

it's still on WSS under "specially MP soap" at the bottom of the page. (if wss is for wholesale supplies that is) :)

o

it is, & i think that's where I saw it.....

Hazel

o

Should have been more specific - I was looking for opaque - WSS only sells clear. But I ordered it anyway - figure I'll just add an ouce or two of regular opaque to it. Can't seem to find suspension opaque anywhere anyway.

Thanks guys
Heather

o

I've never seen opaque suspension. usually suspendables are more desireable in clear I guess. But you could probably add titanium dioxide to the clear to make white. don't know what process you'd do to get that opaque look or whether that's really even recommended to add to M&P soap or not. :)

o

Yes, titanium dixiode will make the clear base opaque, but why whould you need to suspend in an opaque bar? Unless your making big batches & cutting bars?
I almost routinely add clear to my white base. It seems to take color & scent better if it's cut with some clear.
Also, you can get a better range of colors....try plain opaque base, opaque with about 1/3 clear, then about 1/2, then clear with about 1/4 opaque....you get a whole range of different shades, using the same number of drops in each mix.
I generally stick with 2/3 opaque to 1/3 clear/bar. (If I'm pouring 6 bars I'll do 4 bars worth of opaque & 2 bars worth of clear.)

At least that's what works well for me.....

Hazel

(All that was said to say, yes, mix the clear suspension with the opaque & see what happens. But you'll have to play with it to see how much you have to use to still get the suspension effect & still be opaque.)

o

Locally - Michaels craft store used to sell opaque suspension base. Now they only sell clear. I like opaque suspension for oatmeal bars. I'm not a huge fan of clear soap. I bought the MW foot mold and some ground pumice. I am making foot shaped foot scrub soaps to sell to a couple girls who run a pedicure party business. They want to give a themed soap to their hostesses as a gift for having the party. The pumice looks much better in the opaque base.

Thanks for the tips.

Heather

o

I actually did that exact same thing (foot shaped molds with ground pumice supsended) and I thought it looked really cute in a clear suspension but I tinted with green mica for that extra sparkle (the scent was peppermint)

o

Snowfie-

That's a good idea. Might try it and see how I like it. Thanks for the idea.

Heather

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here