Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
silly soap scenting question

Posted by gavia_immer (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 06 at 8:54

I am assuming there is a good reason for not using vanilla flavoring (the cooking kind) as a vanilla scent in soap, but could someone enighten me as to why, or can it be used?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: silly soap scenting question

I wasn't aware that you couldn't. I have used other food flavorings like mint, etc., in melt and pour recipes with no problem. Using it in cold process soap could pose a problem- the alcohol in the flavorings could react with the lye, but I am just guessing.
Susan

o

Thanks Susan. I'll try it in some melt and pour.

o

My thought was like Susan the alcohol in it, and I'm not sure if the scent would hold up long term in a soap.

o
Found this on a Q/A soap page.

This has a specific answer.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll to the bottom question

o
and another opinion

Here's another opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanilla Extract use

o

So the use of extracts in CP soap is basically out. I figured that. However, in M&P it seems to be okay. I have also used cinnamon oil and clove oil in M&P soap, along with vanilla. The fragrance seems to last a long time, or at least as long as most fragrance oils do. It does require more extract to achieve a good fragrance than it does fragrance oil. The mint is especially hard to achieve a good fragrance with, I think, but the cinnamon oil and also ground cinnamon seem to produce a strong fragrance.
Susan

o

i would not use extract. it isn't for b&b the scent probably will not last and may go rancid. i would use products specifically for soap making.

be really careful with cinnamon oil, it can cause rashes and/or burns.

o

Cinnamon can be an irratant to some women on the tender parts:)

Alcohol is sometimes used in melt and pour for connecting layers of different colours etc. As for the strength of vanilla extract, I don't know. Using EOs is a good bet for a good outcome. For vanilla and cinnamon, about 1/2 of an ounce per pound of oils with no adverse effect or irratation.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here