Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for info on making beeswax soap, candles and cosmetics

Posted by NtrlyBuzzed (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 11 at 3:12

Hello,
I will be raising honeybees this next summer and I have found a mentor that is willing to give me all of the beeswax I want at no cost. This will mean nearly 25lbs week.
My 17 year old daughter has expressed an interest in making and selling beeswax soap, candles and personal products as her summer job to earn money for school.

My question is this: having absolutly no experience with making these items, what are the easiest and cheapest methods to reach her goal?
I would also like to know what is the going retail price for such items. We will be selling at very large flea markets and farmers markets, actually anywhere we can find customers.
Thank you for all of your help.
Lorain County Ohio

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for info on making beeswax soap, candles and cosmeti

I suggest you start with a couple of books on the subjects. There is a lot to learn, before you will be ready to sell anything. The Candlemaker's Companion is a good introductory book.

o

NtrlyBuzzed,

I make cold processed soap.

If the beeswax isn't clean, your daughter may not have any time to make the products she is thinking about.
Cleaning beeswax is a time consuming project.
Cold processed soap does not use much beeswax either, (ball park) about 1 to 3 ounces for 70 ounces of oils give or take.

If considering adding honey to a cold processed soap recipe, this will accelerate trace and definately heat up the raw soap. Read as much as possible on any additives you're considering, especially milk and honey to a soap recipe.

I love making items from scratch, this is why I ended up making soap, so, have fun, and good luck!

o

I'm a beekeeper and a soap maker. If you plan on keeping bees you won't be able to take honey and beeswax from them until the 2nd year. If someone is giving you the honey and beeswax you can use it after filtering and processing.

Note: Too much honey will cause your soap to overheat and sometimes it oozes out of the soap, ruining the batch so it is best to use very little.

Beeswax lip balms, creams and candles are great! There is a book on the market called "The Backyard Beekeeper" that has a few basic recipes for cream, lip balm, skin toner, and soap.

Cost will depend on the cost of materials and your time. If you determine how much to charge based on someone elses calculations you may be losing money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here