SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
basilmom_gw

I did it!!

basilmom
21 years ago

Well I just put up my very first batch (CP)...it was easier than I thought but of course, the proof remains to be seen. It was a recipe with shortening, milk, honey and ground oatmeal. Right now, it smells like lye, so I hope that it tones down.

Questions:

1. Was the lye/water supposed to turn bright yellow at first? It eventually mellowed to a light caramel.

2. I used all stainless steel bowls to mix. Will they be safe to use or are they now my designated soap bowls?

3. I used a Rubbermaid container for a mold but I forgot to grease it (not that I even know how)...will it be impossible to remove when it comes time?

4. If this batch isn't too exciting will I be able to rebatch it with some fragrance or oils?

Something funny that happened (actually more annoying) was that I started the whole process at about 11 pm. My daughter was fast asleep upstairs but I had the monitor on so I could hear her "just in case" (but she NEVER wakes at night). At the EXACT moment that I poured the lye in to the water/milk, she fell out of bed! Thank goodness my husband had fallen asleep on the couch, ya know, he was close by for moral support (hah) so I was able to wake him by hollering at him, to go help her. Poor kid was wedged between the bed and the nightstand. Anyway, had my husband not been downstairs, I would have been up a creek I think. Good thing it worked out! He's always there when I need him...even when he's totally confused and half asleep :)

So anyway all seems to be okay with at least the actual process of heating and mixing. It only took about 7 or 8 minutes to trace with that little blender that I actually have a use for now! That didn't seem so bad to me.

Time to get to bed. Maybe now I won't dream about soapmaking...he he

Comments (6)

Sponsored