Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Tea Infused Water for Scenting Soap?

Posted by christinah (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 15, 07 at 22:48

I'm wondering if I can make a green tea scented soap naturally by mixing the sodium hydroxide with green tea infused water? I know the scent of green tea is very soft, and am wondering if it's going to totally get killed off after I add the lye and the oils?

Anyone have any experience or can give me tips on how to do a green tea scent without the use of a fragrance oil?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Tea Infused Water for Scenting Soap?

I have a feeling that the scent of green tea would be lost once the lye was blended.
The link below says that green tea can be used as a colorant.

Here is a link that might be useful: natural colors

o

What about using lavendar infused water in lavendar soaps then? I've seen this done in recipes, and haven't tried it myself, but was wondering what the point was if the scent gets washed away with the lye? I'm assuming if the lye is so caustic, the healing properties of the lavendar get negated too?

o

I don't do CP, so answering questions about why...won't do you or I any good. LOL

I can't see infusing it hurting any..however...I do know a CP'er that infuses her herbs and flowers into olive oil for her soap..Not the water...so maybe you could warm one of your oils and infuse the green tea or lavender in that???

o

The green tea infusion at best would be very very weak. An FO or a concoction of your own EOs will probably give best results.
You can purchase Lavender EO from soap supply outlets to scent your soap (but you knew that). Lavender should be anchored for best results, there are Lavender FOs as well. For short term shelf life of the lavender will be good without the anchor though.
Note: Cpers who have used a coffee infusion get a dirty rag smell, instead of the fresh brewed aroma they were after.
Recommended to use lavender at 1 oz. per pound of oils. hth

o

Ronniner - when you mean anchored, do you mean I should infuse lavender EO into my oils PLUS adding the EO after trace?

Do you find that mixing lavender EO and FO gives it a longer latsing scent?

o

Yikes! I am having browser probs today, big time!

No, using an anchor means to use another scent (EO) to help keep the fleeting EO around longer. Patchouli and Litsea cubeba are anchors I have used with
success, but also keep in mind that lavender used at 1oz. per pound of oils will have good scent for up to 1 year without an anchor. ; make soap to last
you for a year at a time of usage (and friends) and the scent should not be a problem. :).
Many soapers when starting out don't use nor know about anchors, I am sort of sorry that I have mentioned it in here, but now you are aware. Hope I didn't
confuse you the situation much:(
This is not needed for FOs, for FOs should be designed to having staying power incorporated. A FO without staying power has not been designed well and you
should look elsewhere.

o

There will be no green tea scent left after the soap cures and lavender water will have no scent after the soap cures either. You will need to use an EO or FO to get those scents. Even and EO will not last long. FOs last much longer but are not natural or organic.

Vanilla goes very well with lavender ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here