Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning up

Posted by Krinic1985 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 12 at 22:37

I currently use boiling bags to avoid having to clean up, because I don't know the best supplies to use. I don't want my pots to be ruined by chemicals. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning up

Krinic1985,

This is a mixed forum, what chemicals are you worried about?
What are you making, and what method are you doing if you're making soap?

o

I make candles for now but plan on making soaps too.. I don't have too many things to cook in and the things I do have I don't want my other scents and waxes to stick even after I clean. So I use boiling bags. I am not sure what else is best to do. Any suggestions?

o

Krinic1985,

I'm a soap guy, I do not make candles, so I'm unfamiliar with the ingredients needed for such a craft.

Maybe post with a title pertaining to candles, and maybe a chandler will drop by and help ya?

It's been pretty slow 'round here.

o

For soaps, you need to use a stainless steal bowl for the lye bath. For the batter, to which you mix in the lye bath, you can use hard plastic or stainless steal. You will NOT be able to use plastic, it will melt. For cleaning, you either leave gloves on and wipe out while still soft, toss the paper towels and then wash the dish, or just leave sit (this is what I do) and then scoop out the hardened soap the next day and wash the dishes.
You must use silicone, plastic, or stainless steel utensils, including the spatulas. Any other metal will corrode and the glass will etch and then break when you least expect it too.

It has been many years since I did candles, but I never had a problem cleaning when the wax was warm. You just wipe out your pots when the wax is warm by taking a paper towel and removing the excess. If that means heating it back up a bit, that's what you do. The wax and the FO's will not harm your pots, but these should be dedicated wax pots. You can get a cheap one at the good will or a yard sale to save money, or order a melt pot from a candle supply place. Those are nice when money isn't an issue, because they sometimes have a handle, and almost always have a pour spout. In fact, brambleberry.com (a soap supply place)just began carrying one and I think it was 22$ if I recall correctly.

Hope this helps!

o

I reread what I wrote and it appears I left out the word "bag" after I wrote you won't be able to use plastic, referring to soap making. You won't be able to use plastic bags is what I should have said.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here