Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting soaps

Posted by silver2 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 28, 04 at 18:25

Hi,
Anyone else paint their soaps. I just got a pawprint mold and "as usual" over poured. Thinking it would be easier just to paint the color on.
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting soaps

I tried painting once and it was a disaster. I don't know if it was the paint I was using or what but YUK when I was done.

I would like to learn how to for a couple of the soaps I do, they would look good painted.

I was doing a special order and I kept overpouring these birds that I thought were going to be the death of me, they would have worked out so much better if I had painted.

Let me know how it goes
Michelle

o

Thought I would drop in a line. I have never painted soap, but from reading the trade forums, I gather it is easy. However, most painted soap (from what I gather) is decorative. Once you use it, the artistic features are lost. In other words, looks nice, but not real functional if you want to keep it looking nice. I, too, had a dickens of a time with overpours. I have one mold that I overpour, and she sells well done that way (it is a naked lady on a beach) but it is a real pain, even doing it with just two colors like we do. However, my swirled and blended soaps sell well because they look pretty and they are not hard to do.
Susan

o

What kind of paint do you use if you want to paint soap. The ones I got are beautiful, but the paint makes the soap hard that you can't use it anymore.

o

Painting soap isn't difficult once you get the hang of it. The paints I use look like tole paints, but you can also use acrylics. Yes, they do harden. When you finish the picture you clear coat it as you would a painting. Only the top of the soap is painted and clear coated. You use the bar from the bottom. The art/paint will stay on the bar until the bar is used up. The best way to practice is to run to the dollar store and buy a few bars of cheap soap to practice on. Dry brushing works the best and is the easiest. Using stencils and dry brushing gives a really nice effect. The more you work the paint the more of a mess you will make. If you make mistakes let the paint dry completely and then start painting again.

It takes a bit of practice but it's worth it. Hand painted soaps are awesome. They can not be duplicated and they are a piece of art that is useable. :)

I hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here