Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poisonous and cancer causing candles?

Posted by jamier (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 06 at 18:08

I have been considering trying to make some candles but found this and was wondering if anyone had any comments? Is it true? Is soy that much better or is the author overblowing things?
http://quampha.com/index.php?content/view/99/58/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poisonous and cancer causing candles?

I believe that some of it's hooey and some of it's "marketing" ploy.
I make soy candles. But I don't say that my candles are better than a handmade/homemade paraffin candle.
The government has strict regulations on using things in candle burning that have been deemed unsafe for people and the environment.
Also people have been burning candles from oil and beeswax for centuries!
Soy is a new by~product.
Soy is a personal choice. And yes it is true that asthmatics and those with breathing problems can usually handle a soy candle burned in their "air" space. Soy has been said to burn cleaner (if properly fragranced, colored and wicked) than paraffin. But people can make and purchase CARPY candles wether soy or paraffin.
You must trust the person or company you buy from either the finished candle, or the supplies to make candles.

Everyone can put a negative or positive spin on things, and all over the internet you can find information, that supports or negates your or someone elses beliefs.
Don't believe everything you read or hear.

o

I agree with Terri. I think this is all marketing hype. While the original report may indeed contain some type of finding about parafin candles being cancer-causing (so is hair dye, according to "reports"), this is written by someone called "soycandlemaker" which leads me to believe that it is promotional marketing for soy candles. Parafin candles and parafin blends have been used for many, many years. I wonder how many people have died, gotten cancer, or had complications caused by the use of parafin candles? I would venture to guess not many. As for air quality, the air quality in an average home is poor anyway. Not only candles, but air fresheners, smoke, cooking fumes, etc. A person could really get paranoid thinking about it.
Susan

o

Yup..hooey! I make paraffin candles. I've read lots of "things" about it on the web, I especially like the sites that say soy candles burn cleaner with no soot. Common sense tells you that if there is a flame there is gonna be soot. They just don't always tell you it is white soot.

There are good things in both types of wax. I had help when I started from a woman that used paraffin so that's what I use.

o

See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Candle Association - Waxes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here