SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_in_pa

Pillar candle making questions

lisa_in_pa
19 years ago

Hello all,

I have been making pillar candles for years with mixed results. Lately, I have been coming up with candles that I have been really pleased with, but still have a few things to iron out.

First of all, I am using Yaley Medium Zinc Core Wire wicking for pillar candles that are 2"-3" in diameter. I find it works really well with the 2" candles molds (almost the entire candle burns) but with the 3" pillars, it tends to burn straight down the middle. I am reluctant to try a larger wick for fear of having a fire. Any ideas?

Secondly, I have 4 different pillar molds and still have not mastered the art of leveling off the bottoms of my pillars when they are released from the molds. I have tried heating a pie plate and rubbing the bottom of the pillar on it to get a more even bottom, but sometimes this results in revealing the wick, and causing a bump on the bottom where the wick is. I have even gone as far as digging out the wick a little with a knife to avoid this, but I think there must be another way!

Lastly, I hardly ever buy wax. I mostly use leftover wax from candles that didn't burn, and find I have access to an endless supply from friends and family who have candles laying around that didn't burn properly. I recently also found out that my local recycling center gets a lot of wax and is willing to let me have whatever I want. Food for thought...

Thanks for your ideas...

Lisa

Comments (3)

Sponsored