Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Soy Candle Business

Posted by deanreedy (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 18, 07 at 9:28

I have been approached to sell Soy Candles on consignment at a business, which will be built in the summer.

I have never made soy candles in my life and would like some recommendations or hints if possible. I have found a supplier (Enchanted Lites Candle Company), which seems to have a good reputation and actually is the closest to my home.

Some additional questions I have are:
1) What recipe for ingredients do you use?
2) How large of batches(in double boiler) do you make?
3) Any labeling ideas?
4) I want to make 5 different scents to start, which would you recommend?
5) I am looking at making 15 oz size and any other size you would recommend?
6) What size wick would or should one use?

Any hints to start would be great!

thanks,

Dean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Soy Candle Business

Dean, first off.. you found the best company out there. LOL (But I'm partial.)
I think you should call up Bruce at EL, and give him a chat.
Bruce will help you out alot.
Do you already make candles?

o

No, I have never made a Candle in my life, but if seems time to start.

o

Well to be quite honest. It takes longer than a few months to work out a quality consumer safe product.
However, the best place to start is with a kit. It takes some of the guess work out for you, gets you familar with the process, and gives you building blocks to work with.

Check the link out below. Moonglow carries EL waxes, and some of their fragrance oils.

Otherwise like I said Call up Enchanted Lites and ask for Bruce. He might be able to put a kit together with stuff they carry right there.

Here is a link that might be useful: MoonGlow Kits~Enchanted Lites Wax Supplier

o

Hi Dean,

I don't know how old this post is, but I thought I would tell you about the company where I buy my supplies. It is not only a soy candle company, but a health company and we offer a way to make money on many ways, not just your own efforts. If you would like to know more about it, check out this link and fill out the form when you get to the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soy Candle Therapy

o

I am not in business, but friend of mine is. So I can make 1 or 2 suggestions.
1)In addition to a 15 ounce candle, you might want to offer a 4 ounce "Try Me" size. Many consumers do not want 15 ounces of something they are not yet sure they like.
2)For scent, generally 1 ounce scent per pound of wax will work, though you will need to test each scent individually.
3)The size of wick varies with the diameter of the jar. There are many companies who sell supplies, and have an on-line guide to determining the right wick. (I know that CandleScience and PeakCandle do.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here