Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Tiny Home, in Portland (YouTube video)

Posted by nancy_in_mich (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 23:57

Hi everybody!
I have been busy with the holidays and with learning Sketch-Up, a program for home design. I am putting my bathroom remodel into Sketch-Up so that DH can visualize it as well as I can, and so that I can make sure of choices. We still are not sure when we will do the work, but we have started buying the components. It may be a year or two. Depends on the real estate market here.

We actually may have a chance to sell the house we moved out of Thanksgiving weekend 2005! I have an agent looking into the market. If we can get enough from a sale to cover the first mortgage and some of the fees, we think we can get a loan to cover the second mortgage (which is actually the 20% down on the house we now live in). That second mortgage has been cut by more than half. We have also almost paid off the surprise foundation repairs we had to do on the new house in 2011 and just paid off the emergency new roof we did last Christmas. Whew! So, if we get to sell the old house, we won't be able to do the bathroom because we won't have any money left. But it has to be done sometime, or we will find ourselves finishing a shower in the basement one morning.

My way of dealing with uncertainty is to plan. My plans should be available to share soon. I only hope I can figure out how to post screen shots from Sketch Up.

Meanwhile, I found this nifty little house in my mailbox today an I thought you might enjoy the tour. It is a YouTube video, and easy to watch.

Here is a link that might be useful: No, it is not made of paper bags!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Tiny Home, in Portland (YouTube video)

That's interesting. I admire the people who can think of ways to build like that AND enjoy living there. I'd like to go smaller but that clutter would drive me nuts even if it is useful stuff everywhere.

o
RE: Another Tiny Home, in Portland (YouTube video)

Hmm, interesting. I'm all for the tiny house movement, but anyone who's so snotty about building a nice small house (mini-mcmansions!) would have more credibility if she weren't touting those particular constructions. I'm sorry, but stapling rusty tin cans on the outside of your house is just trashy--it's been around a loooong time (not a new brilliant idea) and it's the sort of thing that caused municipalities to come up with all the restrictions that make it so hard to build a tiny house most places. If I were anti-tiny-house, I'd love that video as ammunition for why we should keep the old laws and not allow them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here