Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Week Six of Construction on White Dove

User
9 years ago

We are in the second day of Week Six here. Yesterday some work was accomplished by the stucco guy touching up after the initial spray had dried some.

The roofing man introduced himself to me. He climbed on the roof and managed to not fall off while he measured. The number of squares added up to 22.8, so he ordered 25 squares (4 bundles per square of this) which will be shipped to arrive either Thursday or Friday.

The roofers were on the job around 7:30 this morning, checking which roof vents should be removed permanently, which stay put, and where any additional ones may be expected. Two will be removed permanently. The two turbines will be replaced with new ones, and one of them will be moved away from the other for better venting of attic heat. The new range hood will vent through the roof, and I spotted the location for him. It is the only one not accounted for presently. And, the dishwasher vent will move from one side of the sink to the other. Location identified by the window centered over the sink.

Our roofline has open rafter tails, so there can be no soffit vents. We use vents in the gable ends, and two turbines high on the ridge of the roof itself.

Our chimney flashing is getting replaced, it will be copper, as will the new chimney cap. I've suspected that chimney cap was loose for some time.

They removed about 3/5 of the old roof today. Tomorrow will see the end of that job, and the stickyback underlayment (storm shield it's called) which is up to code for hurricane zone construction. Depends on how the rest of the roof is attached that makes the difference though. It is said to withstand winds of 130 mph.

I had to get a darker color than I had hoped. My first hope was for standing seam metal. The architect, the builder, and DH all were against it for different reasons. The contour of the roof was not simple enough to make a really secure installation with metal.....and I wasn't informed enough to refute that. I think DH just flat did not like the look of the metal. He likes a more traditional look, and so we picked the same style of ultra high definition shingles that he put on his house up in MA. It is a color GAF calls SLATE, with some green blended into a charcoal gray. I was informed that the white and green blend would grow algae on it, discolor badly, and I saw what he meant from the discolored roofs of nearby houses. So, this is gonna be a darker roof, we'll have to deal with heat in the attic with increased insulation.

It is surprising that I am not as sensitive to the construction sounds these days. I feel like a fish living in a bowl though. I don't want to be in the way, so I come into the construction area before and after they leave. Or, when the contractor comes driving up in his big red truck. (He has to be an Alabama fan).

He dropped off the metal shower pan fabricated for the outdoor shower. I have a great design for an exposed outdoor shower, and have a call to the plumber for advice on assembling the parts for him to make it. I'll show you that picture I found later, and then the drawing of my interpretation. It will have shutoff valves and drain valves, never can be too careful about exposed pipes. The pipes shown go down through the deck, and they connect to the hot and cold lines coming through an opening in the house foundation. That is where the supply shut offs and the drain valves are located. Whether it will be galvanized or copper is going to depend on the plumber and his advice

Comments (5)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

wow. it's been 6 wks already? I think you're close to the downward swing of it!
    Sounds/looks to me like most of the 'hard' work is almost done.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I missed the start of construction on your project, so I have some catching up to do. Gotta say though, that manifold sure is purty.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahhh, glad you like it. I have the electrician here today, he is roughing in as he calls it, for the new electrical box, setting the masthead for the power line which comes in from the street. Our old power supply line barely clears the corner of the sun porch roof, which is against code. This time it will be much higher, with a fairly tall masthead. All the (four) old electrical panels inside the house will disappear into one 40 slot breaker box mounted outdoors on the side of the house. Eventually, when we do some work on the driveway, we'll put the service underground from the power pole at the street. We have no need for a wired phone line, although we do have a wired cable service and wifi for internet.

The stucco guy is almost done except he'll be back after the electrician does his work to touch up, and to repair the stucco on the fireplace chimney. The flashing on that and the cap is in the hands of our roofer....who is not here today, since we are awaiting the arrival of the new shingles. DH wanted the high quality UHD architectural shingles, so for those we wait for 25 squares to be delivered by truck from GAF somewhere. We have a GAF factory here in Mobile, but it makes another type of roofing....when I was a kid, it had huge bales of old comic books to process for roofing (Ruberoid was the factory name then), and my brother and his friends would jump their fence and pilfer for comic books. We always had plenty to read! :)

Also, I made contact with the A/C people, the ones I've done business with for a long long time and I trust them, so they will give the contractor their estimate to do the new ductwork for this job. As quickly as they responded I have a feeling the job is not too small to interest them. They did the whole shebang for my MoccasinLanding house in 1990, including total ductwork and heatpump. and the electrical work for 200 amp service. I know they do good work.

Well, my best friend is coming to get the old cabinet handles and knobs, she can use them in her rental house. I will also ask her if she wants the old back door, which is glass with blinds in the middle. It was sized to fit the small doorframe of the old backporch which had been enclosed, and we need 36 inch doors now.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Can't wait for photos. Love the manifold for your shower. Neat piece of work. so shiny too. Very classy.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I am not buying that one, Shades. It is just the basics of what mine will be. Somewhere I have the rest of a similar design, including the supply line shut off, and the valves (h & c) to drain the manifold.

The middle piece is called a "cross" and it is really fine, but I went through a bunch of plumbing pictures before I discovered what it was called so I could shop for one. I saw a fine looking POST with a rain head on it and simple valves, but it was too expensive, had no hand held wand (to wash the dogs) and while it would look great beside a swimming pool, I could not put it on the deck in my shower pan. I placed the big shower pan (almost 4 x 4) in place where it will go, to see if I had enough space to run the water pipes up between the house wall and the lip of the shower pan, with some stand-off space

I got a wall bar with a sliding bracket for holding the handheld shower. The soap dish (which came with it) I think could go on the main shower pipe "neck" which ends in the rain head.

Hope I'm not confusing anyone. I'll try to find the picture with the rest of the shower which shows the supply lines, the shut offs and such. Actually it seems pretty easy to do if I don't need to sauter anything. I could wrap the teflon tape and hope I get the manifold to stand up straight! But that is why we engaged the services of a plumber and got all the proper permits, to keep me from going astray.

Watch for more photos, I took some today, nothing dramatic, you'd have to find a BEFORE photo to notice any subtle differences.

The electrician "roughed in" new power to both new spaces, got the weatherhead mast up, and the new meter box and breaker box, preparatory to the power company doing the new line from the pole at the street. At some point we'll be without power for a while I know. But it will be worth it..