Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Week Eight White Dove remodel

User
9 years ago

Okay, I got an email today that the windows we await will not be delivered until Dec 30.

However, this Thursday the contractor and the window guy will be here to measure and cut for the hurricane protection panels to go over the window frames. Other than being dark inside except for the doors, which are glass, we can at least begin the demo for the interior. Geez, I wish it could be otherwise, but it is what it is.

Perhaps the demo will not begin until Monday, allowing me time to shrink our footprint inside the house, and line up the light fixtures, get the cabinetmaker to come measure for the final clearances/tolerances. We will be without a kitchen over the Christmas holidays, and probably with the flooring only partially done.

I think i'm going to freak out if somebody installs the new flooring I've nursed in my Teahouse with air conditioning for two years, and then somebody spills paint on the new floors the minute they get installed. I cannot wait to have breathing room in my Teahouse again....and have a real power supply, and maybe bring my beloved washer/dryer back online.....sigh....eating out is fine, but not doing laundry out.

So on Thursday, I'll get you a shot of the studs surroundng the window frames which will secure the hurricane panels.

I finished sanding the barn door, my old cypress louvered door, and have it standing in the spot where it will go. Even DH admires its appearance.

Comments (11)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Shot taken yesterday. Nice sunny day.
    {{gwi:2137737}}

I took some pics today, but they are not on my cell phone for some reason. Perhaps the battery being low caused a glitch?
    Anyway, I used a tack cloth on my cypress louvered door to see how it would look standing free of sanding dust. Must get some pics of it so you can get a glimpse of what I see in it.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

oh, it's gonna be so beautiful when the glass gets in

I love the nice wide, deep new steps for the 2 of you! I've had to use a set of not so deep and rather steep stairs here for a bit. So glad they no longer work. The other 3 stairs are good tho.

Will be interesting to see these hurricane frames - I have no clue what they'd look like.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Steph. I was concerned that the hurricane shutters whould have studs protruding which could injure anyone who gets against the wall, but that won't be an issue. I cannot show them now, but will do so later. This was the first day of Week Eight with anything happening besides the sanding of stucco overspray, which was a messy boo-boo to correct.

Here you have the cypress louvered door that I had sanded for three full days, it is over 65 years old now. 2 1/4 inches thick. Salvaged from our river house destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in August 2005. I'm thinking about sealing it with a product called GIT-ROT, which I used for sealing damaged/rotted wood on a boat. It restores structural integrity by making the rot back into good wood. It is epoxy and thus 2 part, but I want to find out if it is a matte finish. Don't want high gloss on this door.
    I show it from the kitchen side and then from the sitting room side. It will be surface mounted as a barn door would be. Mostly it will be left open and visible from the kitchen side.
    {{gwi:2137738}}
    {{gwi:2137739}}

And then the exterior showing the work done this morning, the two 36 inch exterior doors mounted with temporary door knobs, the wood framing around windows and doors. And I think they added the final few boards to close up the deck flooring. The interior window/door moldings will go on after the sheetrock is installed. Yes, sheetrock 5/8" thick and not plaster for this section of the house.
    {{gwi:2137740}}
    {{gwi:2137741}}

The open area beneath the deck will require about 5 4x8 sheets of square treated wood lattice, built by local handicapped group, to shield that area from dogs, and also to put hardware cloth behind it to keep out the danged squirrels etc. Perhaps that will be next week.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steph, thanks again for your comment. I have a new picture or two, one of the sanded louvered cypress door to mount with barn door hardware between the kitchen and the new sitting room. I want it to look aged, which it is, over 60 almost 70 years old now. I spent more time scraping and sanding the other side. However, this one seems to look better to me.
    {{gwi:2137739}}

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Week Eight is complete now, and it is raining. The finishing crew went home around noon, after cutting and mounting the hurricane panels over the windows, and cutting the ones for the doors, then storing the door panels in the Teahouse. I must take a picture of it as it is now, and post here. But after the rain stops, okay?

They told me to get ready for them to open up the walls beginning Monday, Week Nine. So I have two days to move my kitchen to the sun porch, the bed dismantled and stored in the Teahouse, that huge mattress moved into the closet, and everything ready to be confined to quarters for the next few weeks. I guess it will be after New Year when we have flooring down in some of the rooms. Hopefully the front bedroom, the living room, and access to the small bathroom. A new power line must be run soon, but only after the electrician wires in the new small water heater beneath the sink, the new outlets after the drywall is installed, you get the picture. The cabinetmaker must come and finalize measurements for the cabinets so they fit like we plan. And everyone knows that an old house has no straight walls nor square corners....so we'll see.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Been following your journey and can't wait either. Also want to see that beautiful cypress louvered door mounted. What a great idea.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Schoolhouse. I saved the two cypress doors from 2005, should have cleaned them before now, but had more pressing things going on.

And, with the rain today, the finishing crew put up the plywood hurricane panels and all fit nicely. The picture shows the glass doors without them, but they are already stored in the workshop so we can go in/out of the addition.

This weekend, I take down the bed, clear out the bedroom, move the kitchen into the sun porch where we have 3 wire electrical, and cover up electronics. Maybe the demo part will be over when the windows arrive on Dec 30. I'd like to look out my windows on New Year's Day for sure.

{{gwi:2137742}}

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

It's coming along great! Are you using the old door inside or out? I'm afraid if you put a finish on it, it might spoil the lovely patina it has now. Of course, if it's structurally compromised, the Git-Rot will strengthen it up. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the project!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Jay. You are just the one I want to ask about this. I wanted to put simply a SEALER and nothing else on the door, which will be used inside. Surface mounted. It is structurally sound, although some of the joins seem a little separated....but it is solid not wobbly. Some of the wood is chewed up from paint seeping into the nail holes of past screen replacements. I took out I don't know how many copper tacks with big heads on them, took out the screen, and of course, the strip of molding around it was about 1/4 x 1/8 however long, old style, not the flat kind nor was it a spline because this is old. And that doesn't look too too bad, I was careful with it. Then I sanded, and leveled off the signs of paint but left it in all those holes and cracks.....

This one of the pair of cypress doors will be mounted inside. Perhaps I will wind up oiling it but not changing the color. I can try it first on the second of the pair, which will be used outdoors, mounted on heavy hinges, and it will be able to swing 90 degrees at least on the tall post beside the outdoor shower. If I'm using it, I'll swing it to shield the view from next door. And if I'm not using it, I'll turn it to block any view of the workshop, which DH painted white, and which now glares into the sitting room area. At least, it used to glare into the bedroom, which irritates me, and swinging the door should do the trick.

I think about something I read not long ago. "The problem is the solution." Have you heard that? My take on it is, I would not have discovered the other old cypress door had more than one use if I did not have the glare problem. In thinking what could be pretty, AND useful AND inexpensive AND not look weird, I realized the door could solve my privacy problem along with the glare problem....all it will take is a set of door hinges.

So now I will be doing a less rigorous sanding job on the second cypress door.

On a different issue but still the work done by me after all the crews left. I dismantled the bed today, the nice cherry queen bed, storage drawers beneath. I decided to try doing the queen foam mattress myself yesterday. I got this heavy duty box strapping tape. I huffed and puffed to drag the queen mattress off the bed. It had no handles. When I get a new one, believe me, NO HANDLES IS A DEAL BREAKER. But when one end hit the floor, I grabbed the other end and flopped it over more or less getting the top and bottom together. Then I grabbed the tape, and went all the way around at that first paired edge, making sure I went well past the join spot. Then I went to the other side and pulled those two ends together and taped them same way. And then, mind over matter, I got my leverage beneath one end and stood it up as it scooted on the floor, and I squeezed it into the closet door, pushed it beneath a hanging rod, and slammed the door!

When the finishing crew comes tomorrow, if they begin knocking down the stucco preparatory to coming into the living quarters, I'll have the headboard, drawers, and bottom frame of the bed ready for them to take out to the Teahouse for storage....once they make a big hole in the wall. Now to make sure I don't lose the screws I took out of the bed frame. :)

I'll put pics below. Also, I'll include one pic at the last about the ceiling fixture I chose.
    {{gwi:2137743}}
    {{gwi:2137744}}

{{gwi:2137745}}
    {{gwi:2137746}}

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

My goodness Barb You finish the season with hosta and then bak to the winter month( as it is in your area) with renovating. You have way more energy then I do and you are so lucky you have DH behind all of this. I have been trying to get a bump out for my bedroom for years and just get the look lol. I told him in spring I was going to start it myself . I use to do all these things before I remarried but haven't quite got the confidence to start this anymore by myself. Spring may be another story and get into the groove again!
    You are doing a wonderful job and found this quite by accident. Going to be just lovely when done. I see your light and I just bought a lamp that would totally match yours .
    Working through Christmas has to be a blast too! Take care and will keep up to your progress and anxious to see the end results .
    Faye

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Omg Faye, your light is adorable. Yes indeed I have some Week Nine pics , it is awesome what space is there when walls are not blocking the view. We did our bumpout in 2010 very simple, but the roofline pitch had to change to keep closet and tub ceilings high .. to keep cost down, we avoided removing window framing, cut them to floor put high Windows in closet and French doors to give light to the bedroom. Taking out most of back wall of bedroom to pair it with the window wall of sitting room restores light to the room.

Plus I will be able to lie in bed and see the HOSTA garden. And sit with a book and see my garden. And at the range or kitchen sink. Even from the dining table, or seated at the kitchen bar. Or from the outdoor shower.

My little house from the street looks so mild mannered, but like it goes around back and changes into SUPER COTTAGE....

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company