Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livvyandbella

kitchen remodel soon..

livvyandbella
12 years ago

We will begin a kitchen remodel in January. The cabinets are Vintage Lace. The counters will be sapphire blue granite. I don't have a window over the sink, and would like to put some kind of a design over the sink. Has anyone done that in their kitchen? I would love suggestions.

Comments (15)

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

Tile would be the obvious material to work with behind a sink. There are a lot of options, from specific scenes rendered in tile to individual artisan tiles scattered on a neutral field to mosaics or other trim options. Below is a picture of our stove (I know, it's not a sink) with the tile work I did. A cheap tile saw made quick work of cutting the narrow strips of black and keystone tile in the center. My work is pretty crude, but you get the idea. We have a resident tile expert here who will no doubt help if you should decide to go this way.

We love pictures! Please share your progress with before, during, and after pics so we can all join in the fun!

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have a small kitchen, and I don't want it to look too busy. I so miss not having a window over the sink. I think I would like some sort of a picture there..maybe. Just not sure.
    I will share pictures when the process begins.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

At one house we had I hung a mirror where window should have been.. Was nice because it happened to reflect my husband sitting in his chair across the room. We would visit when I was doing the dishes and I did not feel like he was talking to my back.

Another thought. Depending on your decore. An old pained window with mirror cut for the glass where the smaller pains normally would be so it resembles a window but is reflective. Picture is kind of what I am talking about. Any window will do. This one has stained glass around the edges. I was thinking all mirror. This is a nice one though. All depends on the window you might come across.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror in old window frame.

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lovely! Nice idea also.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

livvyandbella, welcome, I'm looking forward to your remodel and pictures. Vintage lace and sapphire blue sound beautiful!

I've linked the Backsplash slideshow in the Finished Kitchens blog (from the Kitchen forum). Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash adventures

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Here are a couple I've seen recently:

{{!gwi}}

I don't like how dark the whole effect is here, but if the wall sculpture had been painted a lighter color (and if they had the lights below the cabs instead of above)...

and this one from a thread in the kitchens forum. I like the way the mirror makes it look like maybe it's a passthrough to another room:

{{!gwi}}

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I thought of you when I found this kitchen. Posting a link so it doesn't use their bandwidth.

If that doesn't work, here is a link to a page with lots of pictures, and it is the one titled West Chester Ohio

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Marti I am not looking to re do our kitchen but I really enjoyed looking at the before and afters you linked to.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Me too. I wish they had shown before pictures if they had them. I love before and after pictures - makes me feel like I really can make some of the changes I see.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Marti I think most are before and after pictures. Look really close. This is what I am seeing anyway. Some of the pictures are repeats as you scroll way down. Some are same kitchens different angles. Beautiful kitchens.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

You're right. I forgot which website it was.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

good ideas in place of a window over the sink. I'd probably put a desert scene - or pics of my dogs!

I like the window in my new place - I look out to the Superstition mountains (in the distance).

• carpecattus
    12 years ago

You might want to check out www.houzz.com. They have thousands of professional photos, organized by categories like kitchens, living rooms, bathrooms, etc., all posted by architects, builders and interior designers. They also allow you to create "idea books" so you can save your favorite photos. It's become one of my favorite sites while working on plans for our "dream" home which we hope to build in a few years.

We remodeled our small kitchen two years ago. After the remodel was done, every night for a week, before heading up for bed, I would just stand in the kitchen with a huge smile on my face, basking in the glow of my new recessed halogen lighting and the sparkle of the "Blue Night" granite countertops! Bliss! Good luck with your remodel!

• User
    12 years ago

Carpecattus, Houzz is always a good source. I go there before I look at HGTV's website.

And Marti, I liked that first kitchen you linked to with the nice glass doored cabinets above the sink. I'd have a hard time doing without a window above the sink, but something like that helps make up for it.

Carpe, I understand how it is when you love a newly completed project. In our case, it is my new master bath...still in love after a year....and I hope in another year to have a kitchen redo that will find me cooking all day and rearranging pots and pans all night. :)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz