Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnydj_gw

Granny Pods.......

SunnyDJ
11 years ago

I probably should have posted this in the discussion below but didn't want it to get lost......Have any of you seen the new homes for aging parents? I think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.....Of course some of the plans I looked at did get quite expensive but I'm sure it could be kept simple and the cost down.....Check them out and see what you think......I love them and hopefully will be planning to put one in my son's back yard.....

Comments (11)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I have seen them advertised but I have slso seen one at a company that makes sheds! We were upstate New York, looking at possible sheds. One was actually a little house that could be used as a guest house or in law suite.
    I agree that aging in place, if possible, is preferred.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I saw those on tv, but the price... ay yi yi.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

This is something I started looking into seriously a few years ago. It was becoming apparent that my mom would not be able to live alone in her home long-term, so we started looking at the various possibilities for her. Retirement developments (Sun City, et al.) were just too expensive for what she wanted. And the rental communities are even worse. $3,000 a month for an apartment with formica counters and builder shag? Really? Just because you get two meals a day and there's a table at the end of the hall wher you can play bridge? Umm, no.

So we started looking at the idea of building her a little place on our property. I love the whole modern, prefab, small house movement. But the pricing is just crazy, way out of the ballpark for 85% of the country. If I bought my 2,000 square foot, 4/1.5 MCM home on three acres for about 200K, it's tough to imagine spending upwards of 100K for a small granny flat to put out back, KWIM? Especially when it likely would add only a fraction of that cost to the overall value of the property.

We found the most cost-effective solution (at least in our area, with our collective finances) was to buy an existing home, probably 1950-1970 vintage, with a walk-out basement that was either already set up as an apartment, or could easily be renovated into an apartment. We haven't taken that step yet, but at least we've done the homework.

• User
    11 years ago

They also have something called "Katrina Cottages" which can be built in the back yard. But, so many places require rezoning permissions for that.

The way that many folks get around it is to put the unit on skids or on wheels. If you do a storage shed on skids, you can place it closer to the property line than a permanent structure with a foundation. No building permit required, at least here in Mobile.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Dh & I were talking about these granny pods the other day. How do they hook up water and sewer to them?

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

We seriously considered adding a single wide to our property at our last house for my Mom.We would have to get a permit to do so and when Mom passed then the second house had to go too. We were going to just hook it into out existing septic and water and electric. We had the perfect lay out on our property to do this.

We also found the perfect two story house. Each floor 1400 SQ FT a three and one on top and a one and one on the bottom with enough open space to build in another bedroom or two. Was a great place and I was really disappointed Mom decided not to leave her home in AZ. With the house we figured we would use the lower floor for live in help when it was no longer needed for my Mom.

The house was built into a slope so both levels had out side access with out stairs. We were going to put one of those chair elevator on the stairway inside for Mom when needed. We had it all figured out. Loved that place so much.

They make small manufactured homes for about 25 to 35 K. Our friend had one they lived in for a year or so. Was pretty nice.

• Susan
    11 years ago

have a link for those small manufactured homes at the 25-35 price point? that could be just what we need here.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

This is close to what she had. Difference was living room and kitchen were swapped.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

shades - that would be better than the tiny ones I've seen out here. They don't (from my memory and the pic) give room that might be needed for a walker or wheel chair. The one you posted gives the basics needed with more open space.

• User
    11 years ago

I'm quoting from LifEdited newsletter here. It has a website mentioned for Auxiliary Dwelling Units (ADU in the trade now), and it is a great discussion source if you are deeply interested in this topic. I subscribe to the daily edition of this newsletter, but there is a weekly option for it too. It is of interest to small homes folks. Here is the quote. Look for the link in it.

"Not your grandma's ADU
    ADU stands for Accessory Dwelling Unit and they might just be your next edited home. You might know ADUs by their other, quasi-affectionate names such as granny-flats, mother-in-law-apartments and so on. They are dwellings, either attached or detached from a main house, that exist on a lot with another house. Many ADUs are built above garages such as the one pictured above.[note: not included]

ADUs have myriad benefits such as:

-- Creating a secondary rental income.
    -- Increasing the occupancy of a given plot of land.
    -- Creating more communal living, while still providing autonomy and privacy for both homes.
    -- People who may have once needed a large home--e.g. parents whose children have moved out--can move into the ADU and rent out the main home.

ADUs are not lean-tos; they are real homes that require building permits and some investment. A great resource is accessorydwellings.org, which goes into the ins-and-outs of ADU construction, financing, zoning for every state and other issues. SEE AND READ ON

Here is a link that might be useful: AccessoryDwellings.org

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County