Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roof35

After 29 years (Pic heavy, I hope!)

roof35
11 years ago

Greetings!

I found this site, after I've done some remodeling. We bought our dream home, 29 years ago. It's a 1100 sq ft bi-level, which being blue collar workers, it's still our home.

Wish I would've looked into this site, b/4 we started remodeling, could've picked up some ideas. However, all in all our remodeling project came out pretty decent, not fancy like I see a lot kitchens are.

We did our own designing, and most of the work. Started back in May of this year, finally wrapped up the finishing touches in the stairway going to lower lever (which, I have no pictures). Not an easy task no longer being spring chickens! I did not do the wiring, but laid all the lights out, also did not do the granite. Everything else you see, I did with the help of my lovely bride of 29 years.

The only thing saved from the kitchen, was the microwave.

Our kitchen w/eating area b/4. We had a total of about 4' of counter! What's on the one wall was it, and there's a range & the sink on the 11' wall.

Looking into the kitchen b/4, the refridgerator area.

The b/4 dining area, which we never had a table.

Removing the wall between dining & eat in kitchen.

The area in dining, where we pulled 3 additional electric lines into the attic.

Kitchen after moving plumbing, putting a smaller window for over the sink, lights are in, added ceiling fan, textured kitchen/dining/hall & foyer in a knock down texture.

One of those unexpected surprises. The chimney had leaked, never showed up on the wall, but rotted the floor. Ripped out more drywall, fixed crown on chimney.

Cabinets going up.

Details of molding.

Granite in, along with Blanco sink. Cabinets in, appliances going in.

Dining area where wires were pulled up.

Area where chimney had leaked.

Comments (12)

• roof35
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Decided to take a couple of pictures of the foyer. Sorry, no b/4 photos. The carpet was installed by a life long friend who is a Master Carpet installer.

I did all the trim, but did have to borrow a compound saw, since my sliding compound miter would not cut the returns for the handrails.

This post was edited by Roof35 on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 19:20

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Wow you created a lovely space. Kitchen lay out looks really good. We have the same 11 foot run of sink stove counter as your before. Except we have cabs around the other side so lots of counter to work on. IF I would get the mannequin I have been doing mosaic on OFF the peninsula. LOL She has been lounging there since October. Almost done with her.

Love your soft gray wall color and all the added light. Your house looks warm and inviting. Loving all the pictures.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I think it looks great. I am really impressed that you did so much yourselves and in a relatively short time.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

what a great update you did! It makes so much difference.

the cabinets are beautiful - as is the granite, the floors etcc. So much more space too. Great move in opening up to the DR area. Ya just gotta love working in it now - even just walking into it!

• roof35
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the kind comments.

Was a struggle and lots of elbow grease to complete. Our goal was to be done by the end of Sept. Looking back, I guess I'm surprised we got done this year at all!

The job I work, we're allowed to build "comp" time to take off. I took off 6 weeks of comp, 3 weeks of vacation to help put the biggest dent in it.

Looking forward to next year, when we can take a real vacation. Don't think I'd attempt to tackle such a project again. It did help since I spent 10+ years working for a remodeler in my earlier days.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

You did a really nice job. The cabinet color is very pretty. Opening up the rooms really expanded your working space and is great for entertaining.
    Don't you love having a nice big sink now?
    I love the wall paint color, it looks very similar to the Benjamin Moore November Rain that I have.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

I hope your wife knows how lucky she is- everything that gets done around here is because I learn how to do it myself.
    You have done a beautiful, meticulous job and deserve a turkey dinner every night until the end of the year!
    With pie!

• roof35
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone.

Eatrealfood... The color is a BM grey, believe it's called Collingwood. It carries into the living room behind the curio, then I painted it a BM green, believe it's called Windchime.

At times, depending on the lighting, it looks all the same color.

• User
    11 years ago

GREAT job! You've refreshed the whole house with the work on the entry, the kitchen and the dining. First impressions have a big impact.

Doing it yourself gives you big bragging rights. I bet your neighbors are cringing if they have any similar projects waiting for inspiration.

If there was previous damage from the leaking fireplace, you removed all signs of it. Those pot lights give a nice well lighted look to the space. Very professional too.

Congratulations. And welcome to the forum. Hope to see more of you.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

You did a beautiful job with all of your choices and with executing your vision, too. You are a talented craftsman!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Ha no wonder I liked that paint :) I used Wind Chime(Aura465) in a bed room and Aura Urban Nature in another bedroom. Benjamin Moore Aura has some really nice greens.

• marymarymaryk
    11 years ago

What a transformation! I love the kitchen cabinets. It is amazing how much larger the kitchen looks.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler