Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

My smaller home plan...

lavender_lass
10 years ago

First, thank you all for sticking with me on my MANY home plan ideas! LOL I've gone small, medium, large, back to smaller, back to large....well, you get the idea :)

Lately, I've been trying to come up with a smaller plan that incorporates some universal/handicap accessible needs. My husband is getting better every day and may not need this in the near future...but I'm sure we'll appreciate it at some point. We don't plan to move, so this is it...might as well make it work as long as possible!

Here's my new plan and the VERY pink and turquoise kitchen that inspired it. If you can get past the details, the overall layout is very similar to our farmhouse kitchen and dining room. There is currently a non-load bearing wall between the two rooms, but we plan to take that down. The resulting space is very much like this. Not large, but with range and fridge on that right wall, it should be large enough. Obviously a better work table/island than shown, but the french door is perfect! {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

This plan is not colored (LOL) but I had to add a few plants! Darn cold weather.... {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

And I just had to post this picture! Too cute and so perfect for Christmas. Just need a little wood stove in the sunroom to help heat that area and master bedroom (see door between the two spaces?) in case the power goes out. {{gwi:1482071}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Thanks for looking and have a very happy holiday! :)

Comments (10)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I love that kitchen! So cute. Where is the sunroom on your plan?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Marti :)

The sunroom would be behind the kitchen. We have a sunroom right now, but it faces the road, so I'm planning to make that the pantry area...the new sunroom would be on the back, with the view. Really more of a second living room with lots of windows, but I hope the furnishings make it feel like a cozy sun porch!

• phoggie
    10 years ago

I am so glad to hear from you and that DH is doing so much better. Aren't you putting your master bedroom on the first floor? No one ever knows when stairs can be a huge problem. I am glad you are done with finals for the semester.....are you taking classes again the next one?
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Phoggie :)

The master would be in the new addition (behind the garage) so we have plenty of room for a closet and master bathroom. They don't have to be huge, but I do need them to be roomy enough to be handicap accessible, just in case.

My new classes don't start until January...so almost 4 weeks off! Yippeeee!!! LOL

There is a second floor to the farmhouse, but it's a bedroom and small unfinished attic. Actually a pretty nice space, all things considered. That's where my nephew plans to live...or so he likes to tease me. Actually, he's a great kid, so I really wouldn't mind :)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Hi LL, so glad to hear your DH is doing better. I think you're so wise to get handicap needs installed. We had them put in our bathrooms and they are great, especially in the shower.

I love that kitchen, looks so homey and comfortable!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Ok I see now. Yes, a sunroom facing your back pasture would be much better than at the road. Are you building the garage too or is it already there?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Ogrose :)

Having the handicap bars are very nice...I don't really need them, but I do feel safer having them. They're just so handy, too...much easier to clean the shower, when you have something to grab on to, especially on that back wall!

I'm glad you like the kitchen. I've always liked the idea of a table in the kitchen, but this way, it does seem to feel more like a dining room, less like a nook. So, still a nice place for the holidays or a bit more formal dinner. Not that we're ever THAT formal on the farm! LOL

Marti- The sunroom and the garage/master bedroom would all be added on. The bathroom and front entry are there, but need to be rebuilt (old additions) and the sunroom will need some roof work. However, the living room, guest bedroom, kitchen/dining area are all in pretty good shape, considering.

I wanted to find a plan we could actually do over time...without winning the lottery! :)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I understand wanting to do it over time, but I'd advise you to do all you can do before moving in. Living with a mess over a long time wears on nerves.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea, Marti! We probably will finish it before we move in, but we can do the remodel in stages.

I finally realized how to move the plan over a little bit, to get most of the main floor in the picture. I'm thinking a screened porch (with hot tub...my husband's only request!) out the door from the master bath.

Anyway, here it is :) {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 14:47

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found this pretty dining room picture, in the Romantic Country magazine...and I just love it!
    {{gwi:1516576}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Maybe if I flip the kitchen and dining area, I could do something similar :) {{gwi:1518501}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 22:01