Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

New storage invention for small spaces

texasgal47
11 years ago

The Happy Handyman in my neighborhood newspaper recommended a new invention called Cabidor. It's like a small enclosed cabinet (70"H x 16"W x 3.5"D)that easily attaches to regular door hinges. It could be used as a medicine cabinet, for office supplies, food & spice items etc. Cost is around $200. There are no holes or drilling, and the unit can taken when someone moves to a new residence. This reminds me of the elfa door storage system available from The Container Store. Elfa is usually used where the items will be hidden from view, for doors on closets. This article can go on the back of a door that backs up to a wall. By the way, I use three elfa units in my 1500 sq. ft. home and found those units saved the day for me in my pantry and on two closet doors in my master bathroom. If anyone purchases the Cabidor system, please post your feedback here.

Comments (6)

• User
    11 years ago

Hey, Gal!

That sounds very interesting. Will be checking it out, although I'm ridding myself of most doors this could be used with. However, I have one in my Teahouse that could benefit from it being mounted out there.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

What a cool product! But it is only half the width of the door, which means it is only about 15 inches wide.

I am in the process of designing a shelf unit to make and put in the space behind a door. It is going to be a full 29 inches wide.

The advantage of the Cabidor is that it closes and hides the stuff. My shelf items will be visible. And mine will not be portable.

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Graywings, it sounds like you want something like the elfa system. Why reinvent the wheel? Google containerstore.com + elfa door & wall rack systems. The system is made of epoxy coated steel, comes in white and platinum (silver), and has wire baskets of two different heights, two depths, and two widths(13.50" & 17.25"). The only tool you use is an allen wrench which is provided. No hammer, nails, hooks, wires, or screws are used The larger baskets can hold large heavy soda bottles or canned goods with no problem. Read the reviews on the website for that product. The baskets remove easily and be rearranged whenever your needs change. Nothing ever weakens, breaks, or falls off. This is one quality product that is sheer genius.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I looked at the Cabidor and it has some advantages and disadvantages.

It doesn't hang over the door and jam the top and put excess weight on the hinges that are screwed into the door. Those over-the-door storage units can permanently wreck the way a door hangs.

HOWEVER ... it replaces the existing hinge pins with its own pins/hanging hardware. Hinges are rated for a certain door weight, and it would be easy to load the Cabidor with enough stuff to pull cheap or badly installed hinges loose.

It takes up the space behind the door, and I can visualize someone slamming the door open hard and leaving a Cabidor-sized dent in the drywall behind the door.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I have pulled up this old thread to show the shelves I made and installed behind my laundry room door. I made a case with some 1x4s, which gives you a shelf that is 3.5 inches deep.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

That product looks like a solution in search of a problem. I mean, I get it. I do. But it seems like an awful lot of trouble and cost to get a small amount of storage that looks strange and might not allow the door to open all the way. That lady in the demo should just put her wrapping paper in a tub and slide it under the bed.

And I'm not sure who the target customer is. I would think most homeowners would either do something permanent like Graywings did, or get one of the cheaper over-the-door units. So that leaves renters, and I can't imagine the average renter wanting to spend this kind of money or go to the trouble to swap out hinges (if the landlord were to allow).

Odd.