Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bedspread comforter dilema for 4 poster bed

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 18, 09 at 15:59

Photobucket

This was my grandmother's bed which I got when I was 12. When our 2nd dd was born, there just wasn't room for it, and at its age, I didn't want a 4 yo using it daily. Sometimes the slats fall out with too much jostling and the flat parts are birds-eye maple veneer with a few issues.

So my mother has had it for the last 22 years; she wanted it out and I wanted it, so dh went to get it last weekend when he was out that way on a hunting trip.

I didn't want the mattress & box springs my mom had on it, so we bought this set last week. I remember when I was a teenager, I got a comforter and dust ruffle but I never really liked the way it looked because the dust ruffle either had to hang out over the side rails or tuck into them.

I would love to have the comfortor tuck into the side rails and the dust ruffle come out from under the rails, but with the slats, I don't think there is a way to do that.

So if you have, or have seen a similar bed, how was the bedding/bedspread/comforter done?

I'm in a time crunch too. I can't drive today, but hope to get dh to take me to Target or Ross to get a mattress pad and pillows. DD#2 is coming tomorrow and my mom is coming Tuesday. This will be mom's room while she is here for Christmas.

Oh & the bed and small dresser pretty much fill the room so something that doesn't stick out much is ideal.

Please ignore the junk on the bed. That stuff came out of a larger cabinet and I haven't found a place for it yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bedspread comforter dilema for 4 poster bed

When we had a bed like this I used a Hollywood frame under it. This is that metal thing the mattress and box spring sit on. No more slats. This makes it possible to tuck the dust ruffle in behind the rails.

Wonderful bed.

Chris

o

Use a regular dust ruffle and adhere underneath with velcro. You could either make one or cut the mattress cover part off.

I would think a comforter would be pushed inside the side rails. Or a quilt which would be thinner. The mattress is high enough that you may not even have to do this, may just meet the side boards at the right height.

How fun to have your mom sleeping on her bed, which you are going to have looking like new and loved.

o

Beautiful bed. We have found that to save space, you can use an alternative down "bed topper" as a comforter. It does not hang over the edge at all. Then you can put a lightweight bedspread over that.

I am still shopping for a dust ruffle for our new beds. They come in different lengths, so you should be able to find something.

Re the slats, you can replace them with slightly longer ones that would be less likely to fall out. Or as Chris said, replace it with a Hollywood frame. They are not expensive.

o

Pottery Barn is selling a log cabin quilt during the holiday season. It's displayed with no bed skirt and I think it's beautiful. I've had a log cabin quilt for 30 yrs. and now I have the shams to match for a complete set.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Bed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here