Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craftlady07_gw

I'm new! Pics of my 1928 bungalow

craftlady07
13 years ago

Hi everyone!! I've been reading some past posts on this forum regarding bungalows and I decided I should throw my pictures out there in case anyone is interested.

Little background on me: DH and I have been married for 3.5 years and bought our first house 3 years ago. We live in Eastern PA, about 1 hr north of Philly. I've been on the GW forums for nearly 3 years as well, mostly the cottage garden forum and more recently the kitchen forum.

We're completely gutting and renovating our kitchen including removing a load bearing wall that separated the existing kitchen and the 5' wide sun porch to make a larger eat-in kitchen.

I can't remember the square footage, I think it's about 1200 +/-. The house was built in the 1920's (the RE listing said 1928) by the father of the woman we bought it from (I actually went to school with her grandson and my grandmother lives across the street 3 doors up in the house that my grandfather built, next door to the house she grew up in). I know it wasn't a "kit" house and they were not a wealthy family at all but I beleive the house has some of the characteristics of an Arts and Crafts Bungalow.

In my backyard is a cement factory/quarry and that's where over half the town worked back then. Other then the thick stained moulding the house doesn't have a ton of A&C characteristics, no fireplaces, built-ins or niches. The owners weren't the best at keeping up the property, just cutting the grass and trimming the hedges really. DH and I have mostly just been working on the landscaping the past few years but now we're starting to tackle some of the bigger projects (the kitchen is #1, and we're DIY-ing everything except the cabinets. More on that project below).

There are from the real estate listing

Back of the house. The old sun porch is the area to the right on this picture with the wall of windows. we had to remove the windows to raise them up about 1 foot so we can build the banquette seating so we put in casement style windows that still have the same width as what was there.

And the only good shot I have of the original floors that we stained and finished to match the existing stain on the trim.

The thick wood trim is around all of the doors/windows/baseboard on the whole first floor.

I LOVE it!

Upstairs we have 3 small bedrooms (like 7'x10' with sloped ceilings) and a loft type area. It's sort of hard to explain and I don't have any pictures. We use it as attic storage mostly.

Downstairs the living room is on the left and our bedroom is on the right when looking at the front of the house. the living room is something like 10'x12' and the bedroom is about the same. we have 1 small bathroom and there's also what could be a 5th bedroom downstairs but we use it as a computer room and hopefully some day a nursery. The kitchen will now be about 12' x 20' and the biggest room in the house. We have an unfinished basement that is all storage and the oil burner/water heater and laundry room.

In trying to stay true to the house style (within reason) I want to have a built in banquette area for the kitchen table, the cabinets will all be beaded inset, stained cinammon. All of the trim removed from the kitchen will be replaced and stained to match the wood in the rest of the house. We're doing a locally quarried slate floor (black like school chalkboards) and granite counters to keep with the natural materials,

Since the kitchen project involved new windows, and the replacement windows that were used on this house 10+years ago were not sealed properly, we're probably going to be replacing all of the windows in the house with new construction windows over the course of the next few months (after the kitchen is done) and also insulating from the outside and adding new sheathing and house wrap. DH wants to use paintable fiber cement siding so I'm going to have to come up with a color scheme in the coming months. I would love to do the shingle look on the gable ends on the sides of the house and in the little hut type areas (not sure what they're called?...the bumpouts on the 2nd floor in the front and back)and I'd love to do a wide trim around the windows in a different color then the siding. So I'm not sure if I should do the shingle look in a 3rd color, or have it match the rest of the siding or the trim. I've got some time to think about that I suppose.

Well I think those are the highlights of my house. Thoughts, suggestions, comments are always welcome :)

Thanks for looking!

Comments (15)

• makeithome
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful! I love bungalows and very much wanted one myself. They are my all-time favorite style of house. Ended up falling in love with a Cape, which I said I would never own because I hated double-dog-house dormers. *roll eyes* Go figure :)

Please keep us updated... take lots of pictures! Having just moved into our small home two months ago, I am dying to see pictures of other people's spaces. Good luck on the kitchen reno! I wish we had the money to do the same. Our kitchen is a bit of a freak show, and I can't wait to tackle it... but it will be years before a full redo of ours.

Thanks for sharing your home and congrats!

• kimkitchy
    13 years ago

Hi! You have a very nice home. The interior looks a lot like our 1913 bungalow. The "little hut type things" are called dormers :-). I think shingles would look very appropriate on your gable ends and dormers. We decided to put cedar shingles in our gables and when we tore off the alumnimum siding guess what was up there originally? Shingles! Who knows what is under your current siding! Wide trim around the windows would be appropriate as well. Sounds like your kitchen is going to be fantastic. Would love to see pictures when you are finished. It is nice that you are trying to stay fairly true to the period and bones of your vintage home. Our upstairs sounds similar to yours, but we only have one dormer. From what you describe, I bet your upstairs has tons of potential. We've been renovating ours into a master suite.

I also visit the old houses forum. I like it and get lots of good information there. There are often posts about exterior paint schemes for period homes over there too. But beware that forum is not always for everyone - we have some preservationist purists over there (and on some topics I'd be one). Most everyone is helpful, but I can tell we've "driven off" some new owners of old houses. Anyhow, welcome, and it was great looking at your home and hearing about your plans! -Kim

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for your nice responses!
    Kim, to be perfectly honest I've been a bit scared to post on the old houses forum for that very reason :) I absolutely love period and historic houses (my absolute favorites are 19th century farmhouses or saltboxes) But this house was in our price range and I'm VERY familiar with the neighborhood and couldn't pass it up. I love the history of this house and this neighborhood and if it had all the markings of a real A&C bungalow I'd do everything I could to save them. As it stands, DH convinced me it would be easier to redo the moulding we had to remove in the kitchen so I caved. It will still look the rest of the house :)

I'll definitely post pictures as soon as the kitchen is done and once the other rooms are back to their original state (right now the kitchen is currently in every other room downstairs, haha!) I'll post pictures of them as well. We have some plans to build in some dresser/bookshelves in the bedroom downstairs and also add a bathroom upstairs and paint and replace carpets up there. We also tore up the carpet in the bedroom downstairs but haven't refinished them yet. As these projects move forward I'll update on them as well.

Right now it's just DH, myself and our 5 month old puppy. If we have kids I can picture them (when they're old enough) having the upstairs as their rooms, bathroom and study and play area in the loft and we'll keep our bedroom down here.

We've also toyed around with the idea of finishing the basement, but that would take some rearranging and long term planning.

One note: when we removed the siding to replace the windows in the side of the house in the kitchen we did find old clappered (sp?) boards and shingles up top. they were all a gray color. I'm not sure I want to do gray, but it's something to think about. My nana can't remember what color the house was as they resided and closed off some of the loft upstairs into a 3rd bedroom in the 40s when 2 of the daughters (one was the owner we bought the house from) got married in the house in the same year.

At that time all 3 daughters/husbands and their parents and some of their kids all lived in the house at the same time. I think there were 10 people living here at one time and have NO idea how they did it!!

But I figured if they can do it with that many people, we can certainly have a few kids here! :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Craftlady- Your home is so pretty and I love the historic details and your floors! The banquette in the kitchen is a wonderful idea :)

Don't worry about the older homes forum. Most of them are very nice. Right now, I have my plan over there, which includes taking down walls! (LOL) Just ignore the negative comments and focus on the positive ones.

• User
    13 years ago

Welcome to the Smaller Homes hangout.
    Before I forget it, what you have front and back are two identical DOG HOUSE DORMERS. I read that in a book about identifying features on a house. It is a really wide dormer, and might have given you more space upstairs if it had been a shed-roofed dormer. You might find one day that it would pay to change that present dormer and make it longer to gain more bedroom space.

Glad you are coming to hang out with us. Your house is quite lovely outside, including the color and the way you keep your yard shows you like a beautiful landscape. And man alive, those FLOORS AND WOODWORK!!! When will we get a peek at the kitchen? Is it almost done?

You and your DH have a romantic Honeymoon Cottage to live in. Have you thought about NAMING it? :)

Happy New Year.

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! Thanks for the information on the dormer, that gives me something else to research. We had toyed around with the idea of razing the 2nd floor altogether and completely redesigning it but nixed that idea (for now anyway).
    The kitchen is down to the studs right now, I hope to have a working kichen by the end of January :) I posted a thread on the kitchen forum with pictures of all my ideas and linked it below if you're interested.

I have also changed the landscaping to more of a cottage garden. I love continuous color all season and various textures so I'll work on adding some of those pictures as well.

I have considered naming the house but haven't really come up with anything yet. I'll have to give it some more thought :)

I'll see what other pictures I can get off the external hard drive this weekend to give you some other images of the house. I truly enjoy this house and we love giving it our own personal touch!

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Craftlady your house is just darling. I am not seeing your kitchen link. Would also love to see your garden changes.

• User
    13 years ago

is this your Kitchen forum post?

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftlady kitchen ideas?

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

aw crud, Sorry I forgot the link. But ML found it, thanks! :)

We got the old floor up and the joists fixed and new subfloor down this weekend so I didn't have much time on the computer and now I have to help DH re-hook up the electric in the basement so I won't get a chance to get more pics up tonight. But I'll work on it soon.

• Jillian Byers Zaorski
    8 years ago

Your house is so pretty. I also have a 1928 bungalow about the same size and very similar to yours. My living room has the kind of same woodwork and it sounds like you have a similar layout (my bedrooms are on the right side as well). My kitchen is not nearly that big so would love to see pics of yours. You mentioned having to raise windows on the sun porch. How tall is the banquette. I have a sun porch that I am trying to figure out what to do with. It is tiny but I was thinking I might be able to put a window seat and make a reading nook or something like that.

• Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

Welcome Crafty. No idea how I missed this post from December. Sorry. LOVE your house So cute. Also love to see any pictures you are willing to share. Our kitchen is about 12 1/2 by 21 or 22 I forget. It is a great size.

• Wendy
    8 years ago

Here's our little bungalow. It's the house we left for this one. I still wish we would have stayed. I loved that house, with all my heart.

exterior · More Info

• Shades_of_idaho
    8 years ago

OH Wendy Precious. It looks like a well loved bungalow. I hope it is ok for me save your photo. It really gives me ideas on our front porch. If I closed in one side it would look so cute just like yours does. Would also create an air block to the front door. Would not be open to the house except the front door. Your window boxes and pretty plants. So so pretty.

• Wendy
    8 years ago

Thanks, Shades. Of course I don't mind.

I love Craftsman homes. Unfortunately for me, the hubby wanted a newer "nicer" home. I think "nicer" depends on what your definition is, because mine certainly didn't include what we bought.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor