Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flgargoyle

Winter weather

flgargoyle
14 years ago

As much fun as the Fall Weather thread has been, it's getting a little out of date! I'm still stuck here in FL, where the changes of the seasons are pretty subtle. So how 'bout some winter pictures? That's right- I want to see snow, and lots of it! Maybe a few Christmas pictures for good measure. Believe it or not, I can't wait to see the first snowfall at our place in SC after we move there. My mother always has the same question when she moves to a new house- "How does it look in the snow?" I guess I have her same love for the white stuff.

Comments (117)

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Aw, what a nice compliment, Chris, thank you! I think that one wall in darker, and the rest in lighter tones would be beautiful. I've always loved that look in rooms. If you want to send me an email with your name and address, I'd be happy to send you a 'sample'. When we took down our partial wall, I saved a big piece of the painted paper from the gyp-rock in case I had to take it to the paint store to match. (That was before I found the paint chip with the info on it.) I'd be happy to cut a piece off for you and pop it in the mail. :o)

flgargoyle, I am sorry to hear your yard plants are suffering. I am a plant lover and have felt so badly for those in the South that have been dealing with the freezing temps.

I hear you on the evergreens, Chris. We live in an area that has lots of spruce and pine, so we get that green in the winter, but it is pretty black/white/gray otherwise. I think that the lack of colour outside in the (very long) winter is why I like so much colour inside!

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

OH Missy I would love that. Thank you. I will email you through GW.

Chris

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

No problem, Chris. :O)

So, we started with two half walls this morning ({{!gwi}}), and my DH decided today was the day. Soon there were

in my ceiling.

Half walls were gone.

was up, and insulation put back.

It was a good day (even though I had to go to the dump peeeeeyewwwwww) My

is just SO not happy to have my kitty sitting almost on top of him.

I think it will look so different once the ceiling is all the same colour/texture, as well as the floor. The kitchen is almost secondary at this point.

~Missy

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

So, kitchen being secondary - maybe not. I found an older pic of one the old corner cabs. eww

Did I mention that I can't wait for my new kitchen? lol

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Missy, excitement is in the air! I'm excited for you. Maybe you should start a thread for your kitchen so we won't have to wade through this on to find out the latest, pleeeeze! lol
    I saw your post on the kitchen forum and you got some good tips, questions and advice.

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

yes I'd like to see you start your own thread too coz this one is getting really long! :) when did you start the kitchen missy? and where are you cooking your meals in the mean time?

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

we had 43c (110F) here yesterday and today. The bad news is our main a/c overheated and broke down and it could be two weeks before it's fixed because all the a/c places are so busy right now :( ... the good news is it's only going to be around 38c/100f tomorrow :/

someone send me some cool relief - Im dying here hehe

• idie2live
    14 years ago

When I was young we only ha 2 small window a/c units, one in my room and one in the kids room. During the hottest part of the day we stayed closed up in those rooms - the rest of the house would be miserably hot!
    It was 67 here yesterday, so we seem to be through with the extreme cold for now - I'll send it your way, enjoy!

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Hi Loretta, Thanks for the encouragement. The excitement for me comes and goes as the project proceeds at an uneven pace depending on DH's time limitations. :o) It is exciting to see each stage come and go. I keep telling DH it's one step at a time. Eventually all the steps will be done.

trance, that sounds awfully hot. I feel badly for you. I love hot places, but that might be more than I could deal with. I guess we all just deal with things as we get used to them. I'd happily send you some snow and cold Northern winds if I could.

We started the kitchen in mid Nov I think lol I didn't really pay attention to the date. I am cooking in the 'old' kitchen still. The stove and fridge and sink etc are still all working. We don't have any overhead lighting (boy those construction lights are BRIGHT and HOT!! I'll see if I can dig out a pic of the 'current' kitchen.

I will try to get up my nerve to start a thread for pics and info. I just wish there was a way to delete threads once you're done with them. I don't know if I want my stuff hanging out here for ever. lol

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

I found another pic from further back. The pile of cardboard in the near foreground (with stuff on it) is the hardwood for the floors.

• idie2live
    14 years ago

You are making good progress. You are going to stay with the same layout, right? On that picture with the walls torn out, is that the new window?
    Its easy to delete the pics you post on Gardenweb. All you have to do is delete them or move them (to another folder and they dissappear from the post).

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Living with construction is hard, but it is going to be soooo nice. Are you going to take out the fur down? (the framed in section above the cabinet - everyone seems to have a different name for it)

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Hiya,

Loretta, the window in the pics is the old one. The new one will be more than twice as big. Yes, we're keeping basically the same layout. :o)

marti8a, if you mean the bulkhead (I've never heard the term 'fur down' - I'll have to google it) over the window, no, it has to stay. It is part of the external construction of the house. That wall of cabs (sink run) is in a bump out, and the roof itself is part of that bulkhead. If you mean above the cupboards, there is nothing built in there. It's currently just empty space. I think the pic is a bit of an optical illusion because of all the diff paint colours. I can sure see why you'd think there was one there. I never noticed till you mentioned it. :o) I've linked a before pic that might make it a bit more clear.

Chris, I finally mailed your paint chip today, sorry I'm so slow. It will likely take at least a week (maybe two) to get there. Our mail system is pretty slow.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

EEEEKKK Missy looks scary having all of that opened up. I know it needs to be done to get the proper support for that new window you are adding. Your new kitchen is going to be wonderful.Still looks scary.

The painting on my end is on hold until after this week. I will be working quite a bit and Joe said not to even think about painting. Even the one small wall. Hehehehe I bought everything I need to have ready when my city work is done. Ya never know I might finish it up early this week.

Finally I have stage one of my bathroom counter completed. Still need to do the edge trim and the front edge of the counter. Then start in on the back splash.

First two pictures.

Snowed here today again and over night. Only about three inches and it is fairly warm and melting pretty fast. Streets might be an ice slick in the morning.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom counter progress.

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Great job Chris! I love that design. It must be nice to have talent -wish I had some :(.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Missy, your kitchen sure is clean for being under construction! I'm afraid I'm not that clean when we are in the middle of a project.

Chris your counter looks great. I really like those colors.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Chris, your counter is going to be incredible! What good ideas you have. It's great that you can take ideas through to completion.

Loretta, I sure wouldn't say you haven't any talent. Have you looked at the door you just updated? Also, the bits of your house that I've seen are lovely. Not everyone needs exactly the same talent - what a boring world that would be!

mati8a, our place isn't really all that spotless lol The only bits that are reasonably clean are those needed for food prep and consumption. The rest of the place is well - *ahem* - dust (and other funky) bunnies are multiplying faster than real bunnies!

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Thanks Loretta Marti and Missy. I am working on the front edge today. Had to get away from it for a little bit. That glue smell gets pretty strong. Hope to have the front edge and top edge on by tonight. I would love to grout tomorrow. Not sure if my fingers are up to it. Pretty tender right now.

Chris

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Chris, if you keep smelling that glue you won't care how your fingers feel! I guess we're too old (eh, mature) to enjoy getting high, huh?

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Does anyone else out there quilt? I have been putting this off, due to the kitchen renos, but the due date for my friend who's having twin girls is creeping up. I decided that I better get these done before the wee ones make their way into this world. I got the top of one done today.

I had to somewhat clean out my sewing room before I could start - a good portion of my kitchen was in there, and my sewing machine and material was pretty buried ugh. I moved most of it into our bedroom and some elsewhere in the house. Would you believe it that I can't find my ironing board??? I looked everywhere for it, but it seems to have wandered off lol. (You can tell how often I iron eh? hahaha)

(click thumbnails for full-sized pics)

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Several of the ladies sew, and I know Chris quilts. Your quilt is beautiful. I know your friend will appreciate such a thoughtful gift.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

OH So pretty Missy. Your friend will love them and the girls will treasure them when they are grown. You have done a beautiful job.

I am laughing at your kitchen in your sewing room. I am too tried to get back up for pictures. Tomorrow I will show you MY kitchen in my sewing room too. Well upper cabinets so far. And two from the laundry room too.

This kitchen upgrade suddenly happened. Was looking at cabinets on Craigs list then one thing led to another and the guy will be here at 9 tomorrow morning to start rebuilding refacing our cabinets. He will start on the uppers. yippiee no more contact type paper and cardboard.

I think he came Thursday to measure and make up a quote. Then called Friday with amount. We got half the money for him today and he is starting tomorrow. EEEEKKKKK And we had to drive 100 miles round trip to the bank and I had to work at the city and I had to fix dinner and unload cabinets. Oh and get boxes. I am excited and stunned ,happy ,tired.

I still have to work some at the office tomorrow and Monday night is the council meeting again. If I can get all my work done and ready for the meeting this weekend I might take Monday off. Lots of it I can do from home.

So will be back when I can. Might be busy for a few days.

Chris

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

O Chris, that's so exciting! Wow, you don't waste any time, do you. lol good for you! I hope you do start a new thread so we can see your progress. :o)

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Finally, we got some snow!
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

WOW that is quite a bit too. Seeing snow from many places. We are having heavy rains tonight???? Joe was going to go ride his snowmobile tomorrow. Might not happen now.

Stay warm Loretta Great picture. Love it when the snow flakes show up in night shots.

Today I grouted the master bath counter. Still a bit of clean up to do . Hands are screaming at me so will wait until tomorrow.

I am going to call my Mom. Today is 28 years since I found her.

Chris

• idie2live
    14 years ago

My nephew lives outside of Hilton Head, Sc and they also got snow!
    Oh, Chris, thats so nice about you and your Mom! I hope you have a nice 'phone visit'. Happy 'Anniversary"!
    Grout on, sister! Grout on.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Missy, I love your quilt. What a lucky baby. I like to quilt too but haven't been able to do much lately.

We got some snow too, about a foot when it was done, which was a lot for us.

I put a lot of pictures on my blog if anyone wants to see them.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Thank you Marti8a for your quilt kudos.

I looked at your blog. O my goodness, you have a lot of snow. I'm so sorry you lost your trees!!! I just posted on another forum that it's helpful to shake tree branches if they're not used to snow, but that wouldn't work on trees that large. :o( The smaller trees/bushes would likely benefit from a good shake.

quote ...
    Hi, please forgive me if I'm out of line (newbie). I've never posted here before but I've lost trees to snow so wanted to say something.

Although they can look beautiful, if you have trees/bushes with leaves and they get weighed down with snow the branches can break very easily. When we get snow here out of season I always go outside with a broom (or something) and shake the branches until I knock all the snow off. Trees that have lost their leaves and are used to snow don't suffer, but when they've leafed out and we get a late snowfall, it's awful when the branches break off.
    Again, I am just trying to help. :o)
    ~Missy

Chris, happy 'anniversary'. I hope you have a wonderful phone conversation. :o)

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

49 of the 50 states have snow on the ground right now! North FL got up to 1/2" yesterday. It was 45 and rainy here- about 25 degrees below normal for this time of year.

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Marti8a, that a lot of snow! I can't remember the last time we've had more than a couple of inches. Down here we still get excited when its below freezing , lol
    Flagargoyle, when you build your new house, you will be seeing some of the 'white stuff' every year. The temps are quite a bit cooler in that area.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

LOL Had to share. Winter day I grouted the top of the mosaic trunk today. I did it in white so it does not show much in the picture. Well silly little Abby had to get into the act while I was trying to take a picture of the grout. Since she is better looking then the grout this is the picture you all are getting. Hehehehehe

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Abstract Kitty Table Dancing.

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm looking forward to snow! I absolutely love it- always have. I have a friend who lives very close to our property, and he always sends me snow pictures- I can't wait! The best thing is- they shut everything down, so I don't have to worry about driving in it, Snow day- Yay!

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Oh, that table dancing kitty is too cute! lol thanks for sharing. :o) (Your grout looks just fine from here)

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Chris, you need a video of Abby dancing so you can put her on youtube. She could be famous! lol

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

LOL I think she was chasing dust bits in the sun. It does look like she is dancing. She is such a riot. The only video I have of her is her nursing her own toe. So cute. Oh and her pink mouse attack.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

I thought I'd post this pic of the hoar frost here, too, as I know not everyone reads my 'trepidation' thread. :o)

We've had a lot of fog here this winter (unusual for us) and the frosts have been spectacular.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Oh that's gorgeous!

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Thanks, marti8a. Sometimes winter isn't so bad. :)
    We're off tomorrow for a wedding this weekend.

Hope everyone here has a good one! Don't work too hard, and stay safe. :o)
    See you in a few days.

• ronbre
    14 years ago

i've enjoyed catching up reading on what everyone has been doing during this winter weather..i kinda feel like a slug as I haven't really gotten a lot done here.

someone asked earlier about the deer that are in our yard..2 years ago mama brought her fawn here in the summertime..and our cat Mitzi took him down when he was really really little..about the size of a chiuaua dog.

well then that year they slept together in the hemlock grove behind our house..and would feed at our feeders..well this winter they are so tame they'll nearly eat out of our hands..usually it is just the two of them..Bambi (boy) is getting to where he is beginning to develop his manliness..but he is very tame..comes to about 10' from me when i put out corn and bread for him..mama is a tiny bit more warey..stays about 15 feet or so away..

this past week we have had 30's for our highs..so we have had some melting and it looks like spring is close by..i'm very excited about spring...winters are so long in Michigan

bre

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Woo hoo, I finally finished painting my Missy Green and have most of the things put back.

Missy scrolling through to get to post here I came across your post of: Jan 18,19:08. Your green popped out at me and seeing it on my wall and computer screen at the same time feels so weird. I just knew it was the perfect color when I saw it in your house. I really love it. Thank you so much for sending me the chip for the color match. I never would have chosen it from the store chip color you showed. DH likes the color too. That is a bonus.

I wish there was a way to get this wall and the kitchen green to show together. They are open to each other but the walls are too far apart. Will give it a go later.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite green paint.

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Chris, that color is beautiful. I think I love every shade of green there is, lol

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Hiya, I'm sorry I've been missing - I am home. :o) I feel pretty yukky (I think the hotel recirc air messed up my lungs), and I've been trying to get the quilts done.
    I haven't read all the threads yet, but will do so in the next few days hopefully and post there. Looks like lots of people have been posting - nice to see. :o)

bre, thanks for the info on your deer. It's neat that they are so tame. Do you ever worry about hunters?

Chris, thanks for the update on your paint, and the pic. :o) It looks GREAT!! It looks lighter than what's on my walls. Perhaps you have more light there ... I am so glad that you're happy with the colour! It's always a bonus when DH likes it too! lol

I haven't gone through all our pics yet, but here's one that I took on the way to the wedding this weekend (picture on the fly so not great quality, sorry). The trip was great - roads dry and mostly clear (thankfully). Had to stop while one small avalanche was cleared, as well as where they were doing some avalanche control by blasting (what an awesome sound that was).

~Missy

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

OH How Beautiful Your mountains look so much more rugged than ours do. So glad you had a nice trip and are safely home. Sorry about your lung deal going on. I know the feeling from hotel air.

The paint does look lighter here but I think it is an illusion as it matches the chip pretty darn close for a computer paint match, And when I look at your walls on my computer screen in front of my wall it looks the same. LOL

Can't wait to see the little quilts finished. They are so cute. Still wanting to do my one big quilt. Some day. Might be sewing on it in the heat of summer at the rate I am going now. Or heaven forbid NEXT winter.

Glad you are back. no winter news from here today.

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Now we think we have small houses. This little house is right next door. I had to do a careful crop job to remove our house and shop from the picture. And the second picture is the old grainry in town here. All in winter. Took these pictures yesterday on our walk about town.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter pictures

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Finally getting to painting the cabinet in the master bath I did the mosaic tile top on. The picture is a bit fuzzy and it needs a second coat. I can get that done later this evening. So a nice winter day. You all can slap me for this but I sure do hope we have some more winter to come as I am not even close to getting my winter projects done.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting cabinet.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Wow, that is a tiny house, Chris! :o)

Yes, we may need to slap you for wishing more winter!!!!! I am SO ready for spring. It's been very pleasant here the last few days. Today is supposed to get to 10 C (50 F) today which should go a long way to melting the snow that's still kicking around. The sun has been shining and I'm still LOVING my new window. :o) :o)

I finished off the baby quilts - will try to post pics later.

Chris, your 'new' cabinets look great! What kind of 'one big quilt' are you planning? Biggest one I ever did was my first - for our king sized bed. 2304 2" squares (36 squares that are made up of 8 2" sq x 8 2"sq). I have only made single size ones since lol

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

OH WOw missy. Fantastic quilt. So MANY pieces.

I am hoping to make up a scrappy kind of quilt. Large squares with ragged edges. Emagineer gave me a link for them. I will look it up for you when we get home. I am sort of in a rush to get ready to go to town. Woo Hoo Shop till you drop day. Hehehehe

Can't wait to see your baby quilt pictures. The Mom is going to be thrilled I am sure. Babies too later. OH ugh I can not imagine twins. EEEEKKKK

Catch you all later I am on my way down this mountain.

Chris

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

O Chris, scrappy quilts are SO cute! I haven't ever made one, but I've seen them. I was very tempted to make these latest ones 'scrappy'. They just seem so comfy and cozy and homey! Hope you had fun 'shopping till you dropped' lol

Here's some pics of the baby quilts - sorry for the picture quality. I haven't anywhere to lay them out properly for pics - the background is kinda wrinkled ugh.

click for full-sized images

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Now, now girls - no slapping allowed, lol. But pulling hair is ok!

Missy, I just love your quilts! They are adorable. It looks like so much work (and love) went into them. And that blue quilt is amazing. I cannot imagine working with all of those little squares.
    Chris, I know you had a great time shopping!

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

OH Missy the little quilts are just as cute and sweet as can be. They will be adored for the girls and Mom.

When I get the kitchen stuff out of the sewing room I will be able to start in on sewing them. Going to have to dig for that link later.

And right now the living room is streaming sunshine so pretty on my Missy green wall. It just glows. Loving it.

Shopping day was really long. We just got home and I am exhausted. So many places to stop in. Not only shopping but stop in newspaper office for reporting city information and county court house for more city stuff. They home and unload the pile of stuff. Put groceries away.

Did you all know you can buy a frozen turkey and the butcher will cut it in half for you. Got a real good turkey deal but had to buy the large size. Cut in half we now have two 10 pound half birds to cook later. Works for me. They will also do hams for us this way. And all wrapped up extra special for the freezer for free. Woo Hoo.

I MUST get some coffee into me.

Behave yourselves you all.

Chris

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville