Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Week Nine Remodel White Dove

User
9 years ago

It was a dark and stormy night....actually it was only threatening to be stormy, but it was dark. It was supposed to be light but not so much. For second or third day, no beam of sunshine cast any shadow.

Sunday I dismantled the queen bed, but left it inside until the crew arrived this morning to begin work on week nine of our remodel.

First off, they took the five or six 4x8 sheets off 2" square treated wood lattice and enclosed beneath the deck. I will take a picture after they leave and post it here.

They installed the gable end vent with screen over it from the inside.

They took out the last remaining bedroom window that was my only eye overlooking the ongoing work. And now they are removing the exterior cement stucco and starting to remove the first of the existing walls to join old to new. The bedroom is the first room to be invaded. That is about 7 feet of the cement plaster wall to be removed, so they can then add the big fat header across the top of the opening, and then can begin to add the wood casing to cover the wound.

So after they go home this afternoon just before dark, I hope I can take a picture or two for the record.

My DH is lying down, he cannot work his power tools since they are using all the circuits, so he is grumbling. However, it will be a while before they need the baseboard (he calls it mopboard) ready.

Boy, they are just on the other side of the wall and the saw sounds really close. The two doxie girls are not happy with the noise. I'll have to do something to relieve their anxieties.

Comments (7)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, they rejected my edit, so guess I start all over. Just the pics. I won't comment again. Only if you ask. I'm numbering the photos.

1.{{gwi:2137650}}

2.{{gwi:2137653}}

3.{{gwi:2137654}}

4.{{gwi:2137656}}

4.{{gwi:2137657}}

5.{{gwi:2137658}}

6.{{gwi:2137659}}

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Today was Christmas Eve, of course, and I was awakened at 7am by the construction crew. They were in demo mode, to take out the second of three walls.

This one was not too much stucco, since there were some lap siding boards in the wall formerly sheltered by the old back porch. Well, the porch was torn off, the new addition attached, and now the old wall came out.

I love it when I'm right, and truly this is going to look pretty good. Here are some photos at different times today.
    {{gwi:2137660}}
    {{gwi:2137661}}
    {{gwi:2137662}}
    {{gwi:2137663}}
    {{gwi:2137664}}

And here is the old breaker box (one of 3 inside the house) suspended in midair. Still powering things around here, and so I'll be able to cook Christmas dinner.
    {{gwi:2137665}}

Happy Holidays, everyone!

• idie2live
    9 years ago

Hi, ML. I've been looking at your post about your remodel. I know you must be super excited to be on the way to finishing your kitchen! I'll just bet you can imagine that beautiful stove in place and cooking your first meal in your dream kitchen. Good luck! Loretta

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

ml - great pics! don't ya just hate it when you type it all out and POOF! it disappears?

idie - so good to see you peeking in here! Hope you had a great Christmas - and will have a great NYs too.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

I love the lattice around the bottom of the deck. Looks really nice. Ties into your large shade screen.

Always so exciting to open those walls up.

I see the little ones really took to the doggie door. Ours loved it when we had one at our house in Weiser. Even the cats loved it but they also hauled mice into the house to play with in the HUGE garden tub. Animals. Our kitties sure do lov thrir little pet door in the window.

Hi Loretta. So good to see you posting. ML you are bring the old gang out of the wood work with your remodel.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Omg, Loretta, so fantastic to see you here. Big Christmas present.
    Did we miss you oh boy. I almost gave up on using that stove. You remembered...God love you!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You might say week nine is at an end for the crews it not for us.

The carpentry crew finished removing the third wall today, and DH and I moved the kitchen contents to the sun porch and living room. The 5 foot wide doorway from living to dining was visqueened and so was the fridge which remained in kitchen. All was well until the electrician arrived then no power until late in the day. We snacked is it.

But as I lie here thinking of the huge difference in the feeling of volume in my kitchen, I realize it seems we must have added a lot more than we did. The old enclosed porch was demolished. It measured 7 x 14. The new part only kitchen is 10 x 15 so 45 more square ft. We blew out front and back walls of the old kitchen 8 x 11 and visually added the dining room to the equation, another 11 x 11.

By adding 45 square feet, and taking out two walls, the existing space is more usable and spacious. Who knew our little cottage was capable of living so large! Wow.

And the same thing goes for bed sitting room with one wall removed. To its original 12 x 12 is added 10 x14.5......and that space changes everything.

I type on my Kindle light off, in bed, thought to share my observation in case someone else was thinking of walls . Might need no addition, but give yourself some elbow room. Gnight