Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
euglossa

moving along

euglossa
13 years ago

I took off last week to go help my sister paint her living room. After I booked the trip it turned out she needed out-patient neck surgery and couldn't do any painting, so her husband and I and my nephews got the job done. It looks great, she's thrilled and I am inspired.

While I was gone temperatures plummeted here and two blizzards passed through, so nothing was done on my house. I was happy with that. It's moving along now and I can take daily progress pictures.

Yesterday the roof shingles came off and a tyvek roof wrap was put on. It will stay that way until the new framing is done and sheathed and then the shingles will go on.

The trusses have arrived for the bedroom, I can see what the ceiling vault will look like.

It is snowing again today, which warmed things up quite a bit. I believe they might dig footings for the carport and arbor and perhaps take down the above the ceiling portion of the chimney. I really can't wait for the skylight to get taken out and the new dormer framed. Then I can start planning the new weaving/sewing space with more than a guesstimate of dimensions.

It will be nearly dark when I get home, so I will probably have to wait till morning to see what progress is made.

Ellen

Comments (7)

• User
    13 years ago

Ellen, so very good to hear that you are back among us and on the job! It is always good to visit with family and to help complete projects there too.

When you upload your photos, be sure to post the link.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I can't wait to see what has been done Ellen. Hard to believe they can pour concrete when it's that cold isn't it? Better them than me. Brrr.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

snow? blizzards? eeeeeeeeeck! I do say I thought we'd have snow this past week. I think I smelled it in the air! was down to the low 30's a night or maybe 2. I pert near froze!

Now you have some updated painting experience - it should come in handy down the road on your new space.

• User
    13 years ago

Steph, it's been a long time since I've heard, "I pert near froze!" And you know how to spell it too. Reminds me of my younger days in the country. Very special times.

In packing, I found my Ralph Lauren brushes and glaze for doing a Candlelight finish on some paint, and THAT is now in the car. Would you believe all my acrylic paints are in there too? I'm really really anticipating that garage as a studio. And unless DH catches me doing it, there will be TWO body bags on the roof of the car. Softer stuff that can be squeezed tight with heavy ratchet straps. I'm getting too old to pick up all that heavy stuff, but will find a way to do it.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Ellen, I hope it stops snowing soon for you. I remember you did not want to take too much off so the house would be exposed. We are getting our share of the snow too. Over a foot in the last couple of days. Must be hard for you to have to wait when you are so close to making forward moves instead of backwards. Sending patience and energy for you.

• euglossa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The weather warmed up to rain late last week, the snow lingers in patches, lots of mud now. There were a couple good days this week, while I was away in california on business, where the weather was even nicer: Sun! It's been so foggy here.

The new electrical service was done yesterday and the power back on and the heat back by the time I got back from the airport. Very good timing for that.

And the bedroom is mostly up. Walls and trusses anyway. There's a big hole where the door will go. They haven't made the cutouts for the windows, but it's great to see the space. The shell should be completed by tomorrow.

ah, the joys of a small space.. it all goes very quickly

The window delivery is expected today.

Ellen

The weather looks to be really good next week and the carport should go up quickly.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

That is Wonderful Ellen. So glad you had power when you got home. So good to hear about your progress.

Chris

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs