Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerlady6

Plum Cottage Living

FlowerLady6
14 years ago

Merry Christmas! Hope everyone is having a great day.

Our little cottage is a little over 700 sq. ft. It is a challenge to make things work, especially if you have too much of any one thing, which we do and that is books.

We have been curbside shopping for our whole married life (40 years) and if we see something that might work for us we load it up. One of these days, I'll have to go around and take pictures of different things we've found, that we are living with.

Our living room is roughly 16 1/2' x 9 1/2'. I am sitting at one end to take the long view picture. You can see the little library/office/my craft space to the left through the arch. This space is about 6'x8', pictured below.

{{gwi:660866}}

{{!gwi}}

The bookcase,desk unit at the back left of picture, the bookcase on top of handmade piece on the right, were both found pieces. We will get rid of the bookcase on the right eventually, but for now it works.

{{!gwi}}

I had gotten out Christmas issues of magazines to look at, and put this 2005 issue of Cottagle Living in the end of this little table. I thought it was great when I saw what it said in the picture. I know our 'style' isn't for everyone, but it works for us.

{{!gwi}}

Last week DH found this little table in a curbside pile. It's finish needed to be refurbished and it needed a glass top. It is hand made and when I first saw it I loved it. It goes so well with our little cottage. DH used a finish reviver formula on it and cut a glass top for it.

{{!gwi}}

Here is the top.

{{!gwi}}

A side view.

{{!gwi}}

Thanks for viewing our humble little cottage.

FlowerLady

Comments (16)

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

Merry Christmas, FlowerLady!
    Your DH has a good eye; I love that table. Your house looks very charming and cozy. Hope you are staying warm and dry today. We still have snow from last weekend.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Aw FlowerLady it looks so inviting and cozy. Loving your new table. Wonderful find.

Hope you are enjoying your day.

I have been grouting. Woo hoo.

Chris

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Color crazy ~ Staying warm and dry we certainly are. It is 82 right now and the sun is shining. We had rain earlier in the morning and partly cloudy skies with strong breezes. It does not feel like Christmas day.

DH did not even see this when he first stopped to check out this curbside pile, it was laying on it's side behind stuff.

Thank you for your kind words about our little cottage.

Chris ~ I know how much you and Sandy both liked this table. It sure is a great little piece. It sounds like you are having some creative fun this Christmas day. I look forward to seeing your project when you are done.

Have a nice evening and a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

• idie2live
    14 years ago

FlowerLady, I love the office space you have. It's amazing what you have done with 6'x8' of space. The little table is lovely.
    Loretta

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Wow. Thanks for sharing the lovely photos of your home. You have really made it your own with found treasures. I love the use of vibrant color in a small space.

• flgargoyle
    14 years ago

What a great cottage- Looks like 'home' to me! That's an interesting table- the top looks like 'tramp art'. I wonder if it is a marriage of two different pieces?

• emagineer
    14 years ago

Flower, you are so great for sharing pics. I want to sit with you and have coffee in your little cottage. So well done and warm, welcoming.

Yup, love that table and want to grab it for me. Interesting thought that it may be two pieces married together. But the wood appears to be the same, which would question such. What a perfect fit for your home.

I was looking at an issue of Small Home Decorating in the store (too cheap to buy one). All the rooms seemed too large for what we here are living in. Or, like model homes, they don't really lend themselves to living in. Kowing how our group works with their spaces is the real life.

Your home reminds me of the English cottage in The Holiday. It was full of books and life. I love that place and would give anything to pull it off. You definitely have...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

What a delightful little house, flowerlady!

emagineer, I know just what you mean. The last issue kept talking about "tiny" houses of 2598 sf!

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

I love your office Flowerlady. Your dh comes across the neatest stuff! At least this one wasn't heavy. Hard to believe someone would just throw that out, but I'm glad he found it and brought it back to life.

What's the story behind the wood piece above the window in your office?

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

flowerlady I just love your office/craft area! It looks like it's straight out of a magazine. It's just gorgeous. I love the way you've picked up these things and given them new life, it's amazing what people get rid of and that table is so cute with those magazines racks on the side, it's pretty clever isnt it?

These are the first photos I've seen of your house and it really does look so cozy and warm. A house where you really would want to sit down and stay a while, enjoy the coffee and soak up the coziness and comfort.

• User
    13 years ago

Flowerlady, have you changed out your photo albums totally?
    This is the second of your threads which shows all photos missing. Is it just my computer or what?

With our continuing interest in bungalow and cottage design and furnishing, your home is a standout example.

If you would please consider reposting, maybe at the CONVERSATION SIDE with your house featured in the new thread title. We want to keep track of these good examples.

Ciao, lady.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

ML I am not Flower Lady. I might be able to answer the picture question. I know awhile ago Flowerlady had to change webhosting sites. This would break all the links to the pictures she posted prior to the change over. And there is no way to go back and change the links on GW so the pictures will not show up any longer.

Hope this helps to explain it.

Chris

• User
    13 years ago

I thought something like that, Chris. If she could make a new thread on Conversations side, such as Idie2live suggested, we'd have a way to keep up with her lovely cottage. Thanks for responding with that history.

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ML ~ Chris is right, we lost our web host that we had for years because he died suddenly, so I had to find someone else, so any pictures I have had in posts from 2006 until the beginning of this year are gone. One of these days I'll get some more pictures together to post in here. I do show lots of pictures, inside and out, on my blog.

I've really been loving our little place more and more and I am thankful for it. I know lots of people wouldn't care to live in a place this small, or like it because it lacks marble/granite counters, stainless steel appliances, etc., etc. It is home to us and for us. We've lived here 37 years now. It is still a work in progress.

Chris ~ Thanks for explaining the situation. I appreciate it.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Here is a link that might be useful: FlowerLady's Musings

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Do enjoy Flowerlady's blog posted above. Visit her often, she is one of SH matriarcs. How's that for making you feel old Flower?

Many of the photos are on her blog and she has some other favorite sites which are a joy to visit. I remember when she had to find a new host, it was a long trial.

• User
    13 years ago

I've enjoyed so much the photos of Plum Cottage inside and out, and love having FlowerLady as an inspiration source for myself and others too. Glad to have an alternate route to viewing her images of Plum Cottage.

To keep up with your Musings, I might have to subscribe to the RSS feed of your blog. I am very bad at keeping track of links otherwise.

I put the blogs I enjoy onto a second home page of my browser, using MyYahoo. It works like a charm.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths