Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Check out my floor plan! :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Summerfield did a beautiful plan for me...and I just love it! I'm so happy and wanted to show you all. There are some wonderful people on the GW :)

{{gwi:618183}}

Comments (20)

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

This is Fantastic!!! Thank you Summerfield from me too!!!

Lavender I love it even more now. I can see every little detail. This is going to be a wonderful space. The kitchen and keeping room are wonderful. Well all of it is really great.

It is amazing how you have been able to get all of this to fit so nicely into existing and still be able to get what you want.

Chris

• User
    13 years ago

Oh mymymymy!!!!!
    Lavender, you really hit the jackpot with this drawing. What a great job Summerfield did.

The house just FLOWS. I know you AND your DH will be so happy to begin this project. Make sure you have a rope tied around your waist and the anchor plenty heavy at the other end, or we might have to go looking for you somewhere in outer space!

What a HAPPY NEW YEAR present this plan is.
    Well done!!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chris & ML - I am SO excited! Thank you both for the wonderful comments...I really appreciate that you have stayed with me throughout this process and been so supportive :)

I do need a rope and a really BIG anchor! LOL

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

You know there is one thing I have considered doing here if needed for company. Since the guest bath is across the hall from guest room making it necessary for company to deal with all bath things then streak back across hall in full view of living room to go to their room. I have considered using a tension rod across hall opening at beginning of hall making it a private space. During day time the curtain could be opened.

What made me think of this is it would be easy for you to do the same in opening to hall from your living room so your access to the tub bath is more private from master suite.

I like the open feeling not having the hall closed off but I do think company would be more comfortable having a bit more privacy should they go to bed before us. In two seconds it can all come down and go into the hall closet.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Wow! I love it! Great job with the plan both of you. I don't see the guest room though. When are you starting construction? I'd love to see a picture of the front of your house.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marti8a- Chris has the guest room across from her hall bath. I saw her floor plan...very nice :)

I would have two bedrooms and a small bath upstairs. It could be guest space or office/craft, etc. Thanks, I love the plan, too! This spring, I'm hoping to get a budget from our GC and then we can start working on the farmhouse in stages. It will be a long term project, but since we aren't living in the house...that should make it a lot easier.

Chris- Good idea about the curtain. Tension rods are so handy.

It's -4 still, so I just took a quick picture out the window. The shed is blocking a bit of the house, but hopefully you can still see it. This is the side with the addition from the 1950s...the living room and bedroom. The roof looks a little funny, but it's because my husband and his friends put on some sheet metal to protect it from leaking...we expected all this snow :)

{{gwi:618185}}

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH It looks so pretty. The snow has mostly come out of our trees and bushes. We are cold here too but not -4. I think our low was 8 this morning and that was above. Once you hit zero it starts to get a little chilly for sure.

LOL I see your trail over to the house. I do believe it will be good you do not have to live within the construction. That is a total pain. We have done it both ways and living within the mess gets pretty hard some times. And as major as you are going it will be easier for construction workers not to have to work around you.

Lost track of the snow we have on the flat here. It is up to the hood on the old Chevy Truck. It really is beautiful.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chris- It sounds like you get a lot more snow, than we do. We get plenty, most years :)

Here's a picture of the garden...see all the arches? Mostly for clematis and a few pole beans.

{{gwi:634193}}

Here's a picture of the horse pasture, with the hill behind. The get to go up on the hill, for their summer pasture.

{{gwi:769133}}

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

It is all so pretty. I still need to upload some of my snow pictures. Was busy organizing and purging today. Feels so good to get things sorted out and in place.Sure we all know how in a small house we have to stay organized to some extent. Some day ,and I hope soon, the whole house will all be in order.

As far as I know the next storm is going to miss us other then cold. That is fine too.

Tomorrow is the 13 anniversary of the Flood of 1997. There is a town celebration at the VFW Hall on how every one pulled together and helped each other recover. All this snow we just had is very similar to what happened 13 years ago. Pray it remains cold through January.

Do you get Chinooks there?

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

I added my snow pictures on the conversation side so I do not hijack your thread.

Chris

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chris- Please put them here, too! You're not hijacking my thread...and that way they're not just my pictures :)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

oh my goodness - that is some plan! it all looks wonderful - and well thought out. can't think of anything not on it that I'd want more than you've got on it already!

I like the curtain idea also... handy to have in a closet - just in case. I'm thinking of doing that even between my bdrm and bath since there is no door to the bath. yet. eventually I'll probably have one put in.

I can't think of when it'd really be needed for me - but possibly if my sister came over and I was laid up in bed and she had to use the bathroom... OR someone tall happened to walk up to my door (passing right by the 2 bedroom windows) as I'm getting in/out of the shower...
    I'm not used to shutting curtains at windows in the bdrm to take a shower in the bathroom... so might be good if I just got used to having something up. I could use my shower curtain for now since I still have the glass doors on the shower.

we had curtains at the 'doorways' to rooms while I was growing up. we often lived in homes that had those big arched doorways between rooms like the LR and the DR. one place only had a real door on the bathroom. we had curtains at the 2 archways into the 2 bedrooms (1 off of the LR and 1 off of the DR).

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Actually our last house was so small I NEEDED the space behind the guest bedroom door for a tall desk I have. I removed the door and hung two curtains. On the inside of the room it matched the guest room and on the living room side I had the curtain matching the living room. Worked really well.

When we built our house we lived in it a year or so before we got the doors built. The house was rustic log cabin so we built the doors of ruff cut pine. Sanded a bit of course.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

*slapping myself* I didn't even notice that Chris is the one who said the guest bedroom was across from the living room. I thought it was you LL. That would explain why I couldn't see it on your plan. ;)

Beautiful snow pictures. Looks like we are going to have a very warm winter. I'll have to enjoy snow through the rest of you.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Summerfield suggested a few changes (and I asked for a few) so here's my slightly amended floor plan. I just love it! :)

I've also included a picture of a bath that I think is beautiful...but a bit fancier than my style. The tub is wonderful, as is the chair, but I could get by with drapes around the window, one light fixture over the tub and beadboard over wainscoating. Summerfield designed the bathroom, without even seeing the picture, just from my description...then I finally found the picture, again.

{{gwi:618187}}

{{gwi:618189}}

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE it. The desk in pantry is nice too. I think it is good to have rooms serve multi-pal uses. the floor in your inspiration picture is gorgeous. I even love it in pink which shocks me. Chair is also wonderful and I love having a chair in the bath. With my fragile back I do use the chair at times.

The lights are so pretty. One would be enough. I bought one on Ebay pretty reasonable. I did not need to add crystals to mine but they are available on line also fairly reasonable if you want really drippy glitz. Which I do love by the way.

Last house we had a half wall next to the potty and I really liked that. Felt more private with out being closed in. We did not have cabinet in it but always wished we did.

I think you will really like your keeping room space.

• earthworm
    13 years ago

Great floor plan, and I'll bet it was designed by a woman.
    I've looked at and been in hundreds of homes(York County), they were all designed in the dark ages!..Long before ergonomics and metrics hit the scene.
    The "white" pics are breathtaking.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chris- I know what you mean about the floor. I like it, too...and I'm not usually a pink person. Maybe bathrooms like this can be a little more girly...although I probably wouldn't use pink, myself :)

Earthworm- Thank you. My mom and I have noticed the same thing...have you ever been in a ktichen and noticed you can't open the oven, without backing into another cabinet or island?

Here's a picture I found that is similar to what I want to do for the storage, across from the toilet. I want an armoire style, so this might be a little too big, but hopefully gives you an idea.

{{gwi:618190}}

• User
    13 years ago

Shades of Idaho suggests, "You know there is one thing I have considered doing here if needed for company. Since the guest bath is across the hall from guest room making it necessary for company to deal with all bath things then streak back across hall in full view of living room to go to their room. I have considered using a tension rod across hall opening at beginning of hall making it a private space. During day time the curtain could be opened."

Well, what I think would look pretty good and be out of the way if folded back on each side of the opening to the hall, is a pair of fixed louver closet type shutters. Only use two sets of hinges, so one half folds left, other half folds right. I am a great believer in those shutters.

I suggest them instead of a tension rod because the curtains on the rod would not be totally out of the way. The shutters would fold back totally...either into the full room. OR, into the hallway on either side, if it is wide and can stand to lose the few inches of the thickness of two shutters. Especially if there is no use of the hallway EXCEPT for the guest room/bath, it might even be possible to leave the shutters closed all night for guest privacy.

• User
    13 years ago

I think I agree with you, just making it a bit lighter in style, not as heavy.

Something that could be very similar I would say is a ladie's secretary/desk, the kind with the fold down writing surface, and then the upper "hutch" area would be glass paned doors. I think the secret would be to make sure the piece has open legs, and does not block the space across the bottom. I've noticed that having the floor tile go all the way to the wall beneath cabs in a kitchen gives it a much more open and "clean" look. And so I'd love to try that when we do our kitchen.

You know, if you like a lot of makeup in your bath, having a fold-up spot like a secretary's slanted lid, that would let you hide things from view without really putting them away.

And I like the basket weave tiles on the floor of that pink bathroom. I'm not too fond of the pink since I had a MCM pink bath--tile, fixtures, all were pink, but that picture you uploaded shows a gorgeous bath.

I notice that the British telephone set plumbing on the tub is freestanding, not mounted through holes in the tub rim. It gives the tub a very clean appearance. When we did our clawfoot tub, our British telephone set was rim mounted at the tub, but it went through the floor. I wanted to make sure the hand held shower wand did not drip on the floor, so it is mostly INSIDE the tub. With me, that is not a problem. But when DH was bathing the other day, OH BOY, he turned on the shower control while the wand was still in the cradle, effectively spraying down the wall and floor of the bath. Lovely......But not a problem unless he does it ever more. My tub is the clawfoot slipper tub.

That bath picture is gorgeous.