Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llucy_gw

Why are downsized appliances more $$$?

llucy
9 years ago

I 'dream design' a future smaller home for myself for fun. I love looking at design sites with an eye toward getting the most function within the least amount of space. I've come across some wonderful appliance ideas: tall & skinny ref/freezers, dishwashers that fit under a standard sink, a combination microwave/convection oven as examples. It's astounding to me however, what the cost of these smaller version appliances are compared to their larger counterparts. What's up with that???

Has anyone here experience with buying/ using smaller and combination kitchen appliances? If so, what did you think of the cost differential in regard to function? Worth it? Not worth it? Are there less expensive outlets to find these type of items?

Comments (6)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Less demand for them means smaller production runs, which means you are getting semi-custom appliances.

The materials cost may be slightly less, but they are just as hard to produce and may be harder to assemble because of tight clearances.

• llucy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Less demand for them means smaller production runs, which means you are getting semi-custom appliances."

I get this. If the majority of households want a 'standard' size r/f then it is the most cost effective one to produce. If more people thought, "Hey, a taller & skinnier counter depth r/f would allow me to have more storage and counter space" (and reduce the less accessible space on top of the appliance)- it would become popular, the "in" thing.

So why hasn't it? Why is something that might be more practical for a larger number of households not being promoted?

"The materials cost may be slightly less, but they are just as hard to produce and may be harder to assemble because of tight clearances."

Not sure about this one. Microwave ovens as an example, started out a good bit larger- and a good bit more expensive - than those available everywhere today. Not to mention computers, and many other electronics. Small doesn't necessarily translate into harder to build.

Smaller, dual function appliances seem like they might be more popular in countries other than the US. Curious if smaller appliances are more expensive than larger ones outside the US. Anyone with experience on that?

• User
    9 years ago

I got a 24" w x 35" h x 24" deep refrigerator, by GE, two drawer, built to go beneath the counter. It will sit beside the regular side by side 36" w x 24" d (+ door depth added on) x 72" tall regular fridge/freezer. The small GE under counter fridge consisting of 2 drawers was almost as expensive as the big Whirlpool with an ice maker and water in the door. It does not have a freezing mechanism, and is not a frost free appliance, just very simple.

I think Americans in general are looking for full featured appliances, and those take up space. I wanted a full size fridge/freezer which would be self defrosting, have built in through door ice/water dispenser, built in water filter, a produce keeper, a deli drawer, roll out spill containment shelves. You might say I am higher maintenance than third world women, who don't become soccermoms and business women, their lives tend to be slanted toward survival.

The fridge I got is considered a counter depth, since the body of the fridge is 24 inches deep. But I think the doors add about 4 inches to that, since they have shelves in the door, and the handles stick out too, but you can open them back with base cabinets or pantry cabinets directly adjacent to them.

One small appliance I have which I love is the Breville Convection Smart Oven, which is efficient, quiet, and totally pretty. I'd rather use this than a microwave/convection combo. The Sharp microwave/convection with turntable is a monster compared to it. The enclosed cabinet of that Sharp is okay, but when you look at the SIDE of it, there is a huge piece of silver metal sticking out the back that is totally ugly. And, unless you build it into a cabinet at eye level or counter level, you cannot do much to get it out of your way. I now totally despise a turntable. And I am not the one to use the m/w any more....that is my DH's choice, and he leaves the oven a MESS, because he forgets that you cannot put saran wrap on bowls cooking via convection, nor foil on m/w cooking. And things boil over.

We are redoing our kitchen, and I am taking this opportunity to dump that counter top Sharp microwave. Instead, I have a Sharp 24" microwave DRAWER that is going in. My new gas Bertazzoni 24" range has a convection oven. With the Breville toaster convection and the Berta convection, I'm covered with the kind of oven that I like to use. I don't really COOK with a microwave. And I heat water to boiling in a "hot pot" anyway.

Note that my range is a 24 inch gas range. It has 4 burners with good options for wok cooking and for low temp cooking too. This is a small house, with only two people. I might have enough space for a larger range or cooktop, but why bother? I got the Bertazzoni because it looked like a piece of jewelry for my kitchen. I could have gone with a cheaper brand possibly, but then with domestic brands, the 30 inch range will possibly be cheaper than the 24 inch range. For the same reasons as listed above--unless "apartment size" is in high demand to make production cost effective.

You can get dish washer drawers, and if you need only one, that might be a savings. Don't know. I like the one we have that is 24" w x 24" d x 35" high, stainless tub, lots of economical cycles, also sanitizing cycle, such as that.

For over 5 years, I've been cooking without a range anyway. I had a 2 burner Waring hot plate, an electric frypan, a hot pot (boiling water for tea or instant coffee), a rice cooker, a slow cooker. Having a new 24" range will be a big expansion of my kitchen capabilities. And the kitchen will be a modified galley down two walls with a T-peninsula on one end. Total length is 29 feet on one wall, counting the dining room. And the other side will be 10 feet plus the T which is 7 feet. If I wanted a larger range, there was room for it, only I did not want to sacrifice another 6 inches to accommodate a range that would not cook a bit better, or be used any more, than my Berta jewel.

• desert_cat
    9 years ago

Depends on what country, what house size. When I lived in UK, anything small definitely was very popular since sizes of the most of urban living spaces, both houses and flats, are a fraction of our American homes. Yet if someone is lucky to have a large house, believe me, full size appliances would be much rather preferred.
    Then I had to move to Sydney for awhile, and having the same arrangement as I have back home in Arizona (US-made, the biggest in the production, Sub-Zero refrigerator and wine fridge, and Wolf gas range and hood) would have coasted me a fortune. So I had to settle for less expensive and significantly smaller Bosch and Miele.
    So there is no systematic rule whether or not smaller appliances are less or more expensive. It is all about brands, quality, mass production vs high end, US-made or European vs made in China which is most of general lines such as GE or LG are there days.

• llucy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocassin, I'd love to see a pic of your kitchen! Is there one posted on this site?

I've seen many space saving appliances on the Apartment Therapy website, things I know I would be fine using, but the cost was double or triple that of a standard size equivalent.

I do 95% of my cooking on the range top. And I've never used more than 2 burners at one time. I use the micro several times a day for defrosting/reheating. So items like a 2 burner cooktop and a combo convection/microwave seemed perfect for a small kitchen for me. But I wouldn't want to spend $2K for one!

And I wonder with so many people living in apartments and smaller homes, why space saving appliances haven't become popular enough to come down in price. Are American's brainwashed into thinking bigger is better? Or do we go along with it because bigger is in many cases is cheaper?

Thanks Desert_Cat for sharing your experience in other countries.

It's a blessing I suppose, that I'm only dream designing. I don't have to make cost vs. space decisions.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I was thinking a place that sells appliances for campers and RVs would be a good place to look for small items . I know my friend has a camper with a furnace but I've never really seen it. It must be something that attaches to the wall. "Downsized" is really not the same idea I guess.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County