Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frosticles

Trying to redesign my living room.. so confused..

frosticles
17 years ago

I have a living room/family room/entertainment room which is:

15.416ft x 16.583ft

Since this is a condo, it is used for everything..

-entertainment (tv, video games)

-entertaining guests

-relaxing

I'm having a hard time coming up with a good design..

-in the center of the north wall there is a great big double size window on the east edge of the north wall there is the front door to the home.

-adjacent to the entry way is a 1/2 bathroom

-on the west wall, my builder decided it would be prudent to place a fireplace/"TV NOOK"

-on the east wall is the sole air intake for the entire home and the thermostat

-beyond the south wall there are the stairs leading up, and the entry into the kitchen

the paint is crappy, the carpet is crappy, the tile on the entryway/bathroom is crappy

the only thing that really must stay in this room is the 56" hdtv, and the home theater to go with it.

Issues:

TV Nook/fireplace makes it very difficult to position furniture, TV. If i put my TV infront of the tv nook, i cover up the fireplace.

If i put the tv on the wall adjacent to the window it gets alot of glare in the daytime regardless of the miniblinds

not sure I can put the tv on the wall adjacent the nook/fireplace because the only cable outlet in the room comes out of the nook.

does anyone have any suggestions?

I can supply the floor plan if needed.

thanks,

Andrew

Comment (1)

• emagineer
    17 years ago

Yes, post a floor plan and tell us something about your furniture. I'm having a bit of a problem visualizing the amount of room you have on each wall. We aren't professional decorators, but we know how to live small.

I suspect the TV is the most important factor for you. Living small wasn't going to let me get rid of the big TV either. But I did realize that my 5 year old elephant needed to find another home. I just bought a flat screen and cannot believe how much room there is now. Decided not to wall hang it, but I was able to get rid of the monster TV and furniture that was holding all. In your situation, wall hanging the TV may be a first step in freeing up area space.

You could mount the TV on the east wall if the air intake is located floor or ceiling heigth. I know the struggle that comes with the rest of the equipment, if the air intake is on the floor you could use furniture that has legs to hold the equipment, this would allow space below for the air flow.

If you have awful carpet and are not going to change it, pull it up along the wall and run the TV cable along the carpet strips to new TV placement. Don't pull carpet too far beyond the strips or you will have a tough time putting carpet back on. Sometimes these strips aren't right next to the wall, so you may be able to nest the cable between the strips and wall. Push carpet back and hammer back on. If carpet runs across a doorway/opening, just feed the wire under. I've done this in an office space, and it worked well without any issues with the carpet for 3 years.

Or, buy a large area rug...which would also be a solution to the bad carpet...run cable under the rug and duct tape it to carpet. Area rugs can be placed anywhere in your room and there are tons of options/prices. Laying one at an angle would give you even more length to work with for hiding the cable.

Also, try a search on TV decorating. There are a lot of photos available for ideas. Apartment living search might bring up a bunch too.