Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eatrealfood

DIY's please help

EATREALFOOD
12 years ago

Hi

I know there are a bunch of you very experienced DIY'ers out there. I have decided to replace my potscrubber 600(I know some of you know this model :). I think it works fine for my needs but it is 23 years old and I don't want to take any chances with a future leak with new floors going in the livingroom. I would be upset if it leaks and it was just my floors affected but I would be hysterical because I live in an apt. and don't want any trouble. I know the new DW's have sensors to shut down the units and "leak proof" designs.

When I go shopping for a new 24" Miele NON-integrated. Are DW's standard height and flush with the cabinet fronts with all manufacturers?

Also do the new models all mount on the sides? Mine has brackets on top and I'm getting Soapstone so I can't mount DW on top unless I use a bracket in between the SS & DW. I do not have clearance for 3/4 ply across the top. The folks at the Kitchen Forum gave me great ideas to make it work with mounting from the top but I think the safest solution is to replace it.

Essentially what measurements do I need to pay attention to when shopping. My cabinets are all on cabinet legs no toe kicks so they are adjustable. Counter height standard (34 1/2 plus 1 1/2" for counter) is 36" ? Thank you all for your help

Shades of Idaho/Mama goose looking forward to any replies from you.

Comments (6)

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

"I know the new DW's have sensors to shut down the units and "leak proof" designs."

do they all have that? that's great. I was thinking of getting a leak warning thingie for mine. mine is old tho.

dw's have different heights. some might be the same. don't they have adjustable 'feet' on them tho? it wouldn't be much to adjust - but a little bit anyway.

I've checked the specs on a few because I wanted to have a lower counter...because I'm only 5'

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

LOL, I've been looking at dishwashers, too, since the heating element burned out in mine. It seems that most models need a 24" wide/25" deep opening. If you check the 'specifications' on the website ads, the minimum height of the opening is usually listed, generally between 33.5-35", as well as width and depth. Mine has adjustable legs--I would think that would be standard. Not sure about the usual position of mounting brackets--mine has them on the top. I put a 3/4" piece of trim on for the brackets, but I may have to rethink that solution, too.

You can also find online reviews. I linked to the first Miehle that I found on the ajmadison site. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: click on specifications

• User
    12 years ago

If you are really cramped for space, there is always the apartment sized DW, which is 18 inches wide. But the same height as the regular ones.

Then there is the DW DRAWERS, sort of like the MicroWave DRAWERS in size, and in adaptability. Some folks have two of these, one each side of their sink, don't know the planning requirements, or how you determine if such a drawer would be better in your case.

So far we have not put in new countertops in this house, although we do have a new DW that the electrician set up for me about 2 years ago. Our DW is a Kenmore, and it is the third one I've bought similar to it. Stainless tub, smart wash, only used the POT scrubber option ONCE.

If you like sanitary dishes, make sure you get a DW which has its own water heater on board.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks mama goose, I'm thinking I am overcautious. I will reread those specs. I seem to remember some info at kitchen forum about the control panels sticking out but I think that's for integrated models--let's not get crazy here, I'm not putting anything integrated in this kitchen.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I don't think all the new ones have a leak sensor. Ours is a year old and doesn't have one as far as I know. I bet if you tell the salespeople about your counter, they'll be able to recommend the right kind. And you can post on the kitchen forum. Someone there is bound to have just put in the kind you need.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi marti8a
    "Miele's "connect and protect" dual-waterproof system automatically shuts off the water supply to the dishwasher in the event that a leak or blockage is detected."
    This is what I was referring to. If it works correctly :P sounds good.
    I'm making it too complicated, I'm just going to recheck the counter height and make sure the DW adjusts within that range and check where mounting is located. I'll call Miele and harass them Monday ...

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner