Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eatrealfood

Opinions please,marble or Soapstone windowsills

EATREALFOOD
11 years ago

Shades I know you love photos. :)

I'll have to post a few photos separately since posting through GW is so much faster than flkr.
I have Soapstone counters and I cannot decide between marble(white/gray) or Soapstone for the windowsills. There is one window on each side of the stove. We put in wood windows(pine) and painted them but I think a stone would look great. I really like the idea of bringing in some marble, especially at the windows which get lovely morning sunlight.
Soapstone:

Comments (19)

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Window on the left:

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Window on the right:

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Eatrealfood, do you have any inspiration pictures to show us with both the marble and the soapstone window sills? I ask this question as it is difficult for me to imagine since I have only seen painted white window sills or stained wood window sills. I have a feeling others feel the same. They both sound pretty but I would have to see some pictures.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Lynn--no I don't have a photo but I'll look for some on houz. I know that I will use stone for the sills though...

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Does that cat spend much time in the windowsills? If so, it would probably prefer wood windowsills for the warmth. LOL Can you tell I have pets that like to vote on how to finish the house?

• niteshadepromises
    11 years ago

I'd go stone just because of the cats! kinda wrestling with this myself for an upcoming build. Wood plus cat claws, I can see my cats leaving scratches on wood sills..not to mention the mid-night hairballs they'd likely leave on them which lets face it is a liquid and wood plus moisture is bad. There just isn't a lot of image of examples I've seen of windows with stone sills! Suprising because it would seem to me the much more durable choice but maybe they are cost prohibitive? Seems the only place folks use em is the kitchen..in a house that caters to the animals I was actually considering them throughout. If you find any pictures please post!

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dek--HRH wears a fur coat year round ! Believe me she is on the sill in the daylight for only two reasons: sun and to scream obscenities at the squirrel who takes her wheat kernels(I plant wheat grass in the widow boxes) After breakfast she retires to a steam pipe in the BLACK & WHITE bathroom for a catnap.

nite-she's on the sill but doesn't scratch it & hairballs are never there. She goes for a manicure 1x/month. She's been good enough to keep the last few hairballs on an old bath rug.
    Soapstone windowsills are pretty common in kitchens. My apartment is eclectic(whatever that means) so if stone windowsills aren't used much, I like it. Now I didn't get the estimates yet but the dealer told me he'll give me a good price since I got the soapstone from him. I will post the cost when I get it. Carrera is probably least expensive of the white marbles.

Here is a link that might be useful: marble sills

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

I think that the soapstone would go best with those floors. I have seen "marblelite" used for windowsills. It is that plastic-looking fake marble. I have that in my kitchen windowsill. With your slate, I think the soapstone would look better than Carrera Marble, even if you had the marble honed.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

I think either way would be wonderful. Too bad there was not left over bits from your counter.

I put regular tiles and glass tiles on all of our window sills. They were just sheet rock no wood. I am not a carpenter so I did what I know how to do. I think this picture was before the purple grout was added. LOL LOL LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile sills.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Too bad there was not left over bits from your counter."

Ha Ha You NEVER get the sink cut out or any "scraps". The fabricator/dealer can always use those pieces for sinks, sills, parts of fireplace surrounds. Oh and I love your sunflower, deer mosaics Shades.

Thank you for your opinions. Leaning towards SS.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

I think it would be lovely. I have no experience with care of either SS or Marble. Would be my only concern because of the kind of dirt kitchens produce. I have the small glass tiles on our kitchen window sill because they go with my back splash and they are working well. I use windex to clean them. I do not think it all has to be matchie matchie.

Thanks on the mosaics. I FINALLY grouted the little deer a couple of weeks ago. I can not believe I waited 4 1/2 years to do so. Sheese on me. Back to working on master bath mirror surround.

Here is a link that might be useful: Little deer grouted. Finally

• luckymom
    11 years ago

I've not had soapstone, but do have marble sills in all the windows. Based on this, if soapstone is no care, go with soapstone. I want to replace the marble in the kitchen sooooo bad! It's gotten etched/stained from my habit of placing odds and ends on the window sill (above the sink). Unfortunately, DH keeps telling me it's too much trouble. Even the bedrooms have marked up marble...I keep trying to tell myself it's just patina.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOVE marble-Don't mind the old Italian patina. I've seen the marble in Italy and WOW-it is sooo nice.
    I understand your frustration though, it depends on the room/style. I live in a sort of eclectic(late1930-40's)styled space.
    I am going with soapstone because I can put a hot pot on the right window if need to since I can't have cabinets flanking the stove..

• User
    11 years ago

ERF, glad to read the final post where you say you are going with the soapstone. I was going to suggest that you keep with the soapstone.

I do not have it, have no experience with it, but I've seen old windowsills of the marble in some really old homes/mansions here in Mobile, and it doesn't seem to be as pretty as the soapstone to me.

But what do I know. Just $.02 here

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moccasin--WHAT do YOU know indeed.
    Why you haven't hooked up your Berta yet so I can see how you like it.

• kitchen_maman
    11 years ago

I was going to suggest the marble because marble (as I am such a huge fan of marble!) and soapstone is so beautiful together. I like your reasoning though! If you can put hot things on SS, then that makes sense to use it for window sills flanking your stove!

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes Kitchenm as you know in a small space(my kitchen is large at 12x10 though) you need to think creatively !

• User
    11 years ago

ERF, we're getting closer every day. Before summer at the latest, but how long the job takes is not determined yet.

Right now, the gas is not run, it will have to be replaced because there isn't a big enough supply to have the range, the water heater, the Generac natural gas (small one) and a future gas grill too. I'm totally tired of a grill that doesn't last, so when the propane one dies, we hook up a natural gas grill.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms