Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Small Home Starts

Posted by skagit_goat_man_ (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 18, 06 at 10:19

Well we've started. This week the site prep was done and the foundation excavation is finished. It's the first real event that makes us realize that the house is really going to be built. A year ago we hadn't even decided to move and since March we've bought land, sold our house, had a house designed and went through all the finding a contractor work plus got all our permits. Now finally there's a hole in the ground - an expenisve hole! For an 1100sf home the excavation seems large but forgot the garage is there too and there has to be room for work on the outside of the foundation. We're leaving for a week's visit back east and look forward to seeing some concrete when we return. I'm very excited but also worn out. I'm glad it's time for someone else to start doing work. What a great Christmas gift for us though. Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Small Home Starts

Skagit,

Keep us up to date on your progress and congratulations. It must feel good to actually "see" your home is becoming a reality. You must be in warm weather land being able to have concrete poured...

o

Well it's not warm but not really cold here either. Temps coming up are highs in the 40's and lows in the mid 30's. But the wind this year has been rough. The footings and stem walls will be finished by the end of next week. Too bad we're heading to New England for a week starting today. Hate to miss all the action. But will be quite a change when we get back. Tom

o

Tom, sounds like it's coming right along. We had our foundation poured back in August and we are only now getting to a point where it's beginning to look more and more like a home. We are almost done with the framing and we just dug lines for electric and water. The bulk of the work is being done by my husband and I but we have friends that have helped us and we are so thankful for that. It seems as though at the end of each week we can see that we have indeed made progress. When we first started this we had hoped to be moved in by Jan 1st but we knew a month ago that we would need 2 or 3 more months. If there is one thing that I have learned through this process it is that all bets are off as to a move in date :) Keep us posted on your progress.

o

Tom--I have read your previous posts and I'm very interested in the design of your new house--especially the kitchen. Good luck with the construction and post pics when you can!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here