Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Board seeking ideas

Posted by iheartgiantschnauzer (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 9:54

Hi everyone. Nice to see there is a forum dedicated to small homes!

I would love to solicit ideas.

We will be buying a house or building in the next 9-18 months. Our vacation home is 1600 sq ft and we could comfortably live full time in it. I've also seem home plans as small as 1400 sq ft that we could live in comfortably. We cook every day but could be happy with a galley. We need two living spaces ( living room and tv room) and a dining room. However, we now need a house with a dedicated inlaw suite. This suite needs to be suitable for aging in place and provide my MIL with dignity and independence she needs. So ideally about 630-800 sq ft with a kitchen and a living area large enough to handle a studio upright piano.

The problem is almost every plan I find either is either grossly oversized for the main living unit or too small (400 sq ft) for the inlaw apt or a basement or over the garage space. The basement or garage would be fine now but not in a few years. So I do not want to pursue those avenues.

Any one in a similar boat? have any leads on a suitable plan?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Board seeking ideas

This is also a good question to post in the "build" forum

But, have you considered looking at duplex plans? Some of them might get you the size you are looking for on your side, but too large on the MIL side. However, you might be able to find them where it would be easy enough to "chop off" one wing of one of the duplexes. For example, if there was a 3bd duplex design with split bedrooms, and you could chop off the bedroom wing, or if there was a 2 story duplex design where you could integrate the MIL's side second story into your own home's second story...

Friends of mine ultimately had an architect design something for them. It was too difficult to find what they were looking for.

o

Thank you Kirkwall. I did just that, but thought if post here too just incase someone here had other ideas.

You're probably right that I ll need to go the architect route.

o

Hi, Iheart :) First, it's great you want to have such a nice space for your MIL. There should be more house plans that address this issue, but maybe something like this? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Eplan house plan #1

o
Another idea...

Here's another idea...this one has the two bedrooms (which could be made into a MIL suite, as in the plan above) off the living room, instead of the family room.

Until architects come up with more well done MIL suites, taking a couple of bedrooms and bath on the other side of the house and reworking the design might be an option. Hope these help :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Eplan house plan #2

o

I never anticipated it being this hard to find a stock plan! Thank you, lavender! I began browsing on the e plan site ater following your link. I found this plan. It seems to have promise? Does anyone think it would be relatively easy to create a loft space with a bedroom, flex room and bath or perhaps a basement with bedroom, flexroom and bath on the main house? How about stretching the guest house to get a larger living and dining area?

Here is a link that might be useful: Potential multigenerational home

o

I have seen the one NashvilleBuild42 linked before and it has possibilities for us. Here is another that is kind of interesting. I searched under plans with two master suites.

House plan

o

Oh, I found a nice one! This would be great if you had one spare bedroom for the main living area and used the second one to increase the size of the MIL suite :)

From Kitchen plans

Main floor...

From Kitchen plans

Basement rec area...

From Kitchen plans

Nashville- I like that house...so cute the way it fits together with the porch access!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to eplans

o

Well this is awkward. I set my sil an account up so she could discover some ideas from this wonderful site. It appears at least once I forgot to sign out and she posted under my name!

Lav we just finished a kitchen remodel of our cape in November. You gave us some great ideas. I haven't got around to a reveal yet as we're still waiting on the fridge and backsplash.

Anyway I'll be sure to sign out in future as long as we're all together in Wyoming for the holidays.

o

LOL iheart. At least she (I assume sil is sister-in-law?) didn't say anything that would embarrass you. ;)

Your sil is NashvilleBuild?

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 12:39

o

I wondered if you had to sell your house! I'm glad you're keeping the kitchen :)

o

Yep Nashville build is my sister in law. And no way we still have quite a bit of renovations to do on our cap: gut the 4 bathrooms, rework the attic bedroom and fix up the pool. So I'm sure I'll be asking for advice on all of that this year :)

Have a great day everyone

o

Iheart- Looking forward to your future renovations! I want to see the attic bedroom :)

Nashville- Welcome to the forum! I like your plan, especially the porches and it's a great idea to have the separate areas, but connected...especially in warmer weather. It would be nice to have a little eating area, off the kitchen. Maybe a bump out onto the terrace area. Nice closet space...but the bathroom should be a bit bigger, with universal accessibility, just in case.

o

LOL! Now I'm doing it...opened an account for my mom (garden_peggy) and forgot to log back in. Anyway, mom is now on the forum! :)

o

Does your mom know how to log in LL? I created a free email account for my mom and was ready to beat my head against the wall before she got into it, even though she assured me she knew how to do it. lol

o

Marti- She does not, but we're going to show her this weekend. Just wanted to set up the account, in case we did it yesterday, but it was warmer than usual and we measured her rose garden/potager instead. She's redesigning her garden and very excited about moving all her roses to the perimeter, with veggies in the middle. Now, all her high water plants will be together and easy to reach with the hose :)

o

Hi everyone. Sorry it's been a few days. Got tied up with skiing and playing with the family.

Thanks for understanding my login snafu :)

Oh Lavender that is just too funny! Glad to see I'm not the only one who can make the mistake.

I think we may be switching gears and going with the evolution series from moser design out of sc. We think we'd choose a main house with a knuckle of a 300 sq ft porch with fireplace then tack on a small cottage with its own screened porch no fireplace. The thinking is my MIL has her own screened porch to entertain her friends or read while we have a shared one between the two homes that will open yo a large patio and pool.

Btw, the kitchen is much improved! We enjoyed thanksgiving there. A vegan thanksgiving! New one for me. Now I know it's a family tradition as long as those two host. I'm anxious for the finished reveal . Hint hint

Oh and I've seen the plans for the attic bedroom-- it will be fantastic!

o

It's nice to see that the kitchen is working out so well! The attic bedroom sounds great, too :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here