Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmdalto

Living room (12'Wx15'L) layout?

Lmdalto
10 years ago

My fianc� and I just purchased our first home. I apologize for the mess in the picture, but we have boxes and things everywhere! I am having trouble situatibg furniture in this narrow living room. I have a large rug that I plan on placing once I find a setup I like. I've tried it all kinds if ways and the picture I attached was the best looking to me...though the couch near the front door is questionable. There will be a small side table (lower right of picture)and a narrow glass coffee table to be placed soon. Also, the curtains came with the house and will be changed asap! Help!?

Comments (5)

• finallyhome
    10 years ago

Disclaimer: Not a interior decorator. With that being said, I would move the couch in front of the other window across from where it is now. The TV would go on the wall where the couch is now. This would give a flow upon entering the room.

• finallyhome
    10 years ago

Disclaimer: Not a interior decorator. With that being said, I would move the couch in front of the other window across from where it is now. The TV would go on the wall where the couch is now. This would give a flow upon entering the room.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Smaller rooms often mean smaller furniture. I think Finallyhome has a good suggestion. If you want the furniture grouped around the TV, maybe a small love seat where you have the chair (small window wall) and an end table between sofa and loveseat.

Do you have a wall opposite the front door? If you want more of a conversation area that also has access to the TV...maybe place the sofa on that wall, with the coffee table in front of it. There should be room for a small end table, closer to the window...or maybe a sofa table with a lamp?

Across from the sofa, where you have the big chair now...maybe two smaller chairs and a small table between. Have you seen those armless chairs at Fred Meyer and Shopko? Something like that might work well.

The TV could be on the long wall (opposite the big window) about even with the coffee table. I would recommend a flat screen with narrow console.

Either set up should give you the ability to watch TV...one more family room like, with the other more living room/conversation. Your choice as to what works better in your space :)

• camlan
    10 years ago

A couple of questions for you.

Who will use this room? You and your fiance. But what guests? Family? Friends? How many people, on average, would you need seating for?

What will you do in this room? Is the TV going here or in another room? That is probably the biggest issue, as you will need a completely different arrangement of furniture if the TV is in this room. But aso--reading? knitting? video games? cup of tea with a friend? Any hobbies? Letter writing? Hanging out in the evening?

Once you figure out what you need the room to do for you, you'll have a better idea of what furniture you will need and how to place it.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

My parents raised six kids in a house with a living room that was 12' x 16', only one foot longer. I used to rearrange the furniture all the time. I agree that the TV should be on the wall where the sofa is now.

I think you need a sofa, not a loveseat. However, even when the sofa is huge with three cushions, only two people will want to sit on it at the same time. It's just something about the way people manage space. I would look around for a smaller sofa. It will make a difference. One stuffed chair (again, not too big) and maybe a rocking chair, and you can seat four people comfortably. If you can get a chest-high piece that is not too deep but has shelving below, then you can store the DVD player, cable box, DVDs, favorite reading material and maybe a couple of ornaments or framed pictures all in one tidy, attractive, compact space. Then place the TV above it, either resting on it or mounted to the wall. I would look for a coffee table that is a narrow rectangle rather than a square, again allowing lots of clearance for walking around without hitting your shins on furniture. Have as few side tables as possible; none, if you can manage lighting without them. If you need them for placing lamps I would consider eliminating the coffee table. One between the sofa and each of the two chairs would give people a place to set down beverages, perhaps less conveniently than a central coffee table. Lots of small pieces take up a lot of space so I would go with one or the other, not both.

Rosefolly

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012