Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Week Seven on White Dove Remodel

User
9 years ago

Hmmm, I am so sorry that I forgot to post the pictures here for the last week. I'm getting DEMO BRAIN along about now, and we are ready for the windows and doors and seal off the attic, connect the ductwork to the new space, and honey, I'm going to be scrambling for dear life as they do a lot of stuff almost simultaneously.....I wish MamaGoose will assure me that this is the most exciting part of the CONSTRUCTION DANCE. It is sure feeling like an adventure to me.

Guess I'll show you some of the photos from the past week. I'll immediately begin a Week Eight thread, as soon as I see some action.....nothing happened to day, except the contractor answered the 2 questions I'd asked in about 6 paragraphs of finely chosen words.......only his response was one line and resolved both of my issues. No beating around the bush. My DH thinks that is the funniest thing.

Okay, here's the new roof almost dark on Dec 9th. Note there is shiny copper flashing and chimney cap. Architectural shingles to withstand 135 mph winds, meeting current hurricane standards with type of underlayment and fasteners. But you cannot see that in the picture.
{{gwi:2137580}}

and I go crawling over lumber and tools to measure the height and location of the stacking washer/dryer VENT, so we could get the city inspector to sign off on the mechanical aspects of the one unit/appliance which requires the intersection of plumbing, electrical, ...and HVAC whatever makes HVAC required for the VENTING of same appliance. So the really nice city inspector took the time to educate me as to why he had to come back the second day--because I refused to let the HVAC man cut a hole in my new stucco without at least MEASURING it for proper location FIRST, and HVAC got in a sort of SNIT about that.....which did not bother me one bit.

I know that he knows that the general contractor has a policy, and that is to keep moi and DH happy. I have a smile on my face about that one. Seems to be perfectly appropriate behavior to me, I think it shows he has good judgement. hehehehe But HVAC isn't mad any more, cause I showed him this picture and gave him the measurements, and I let him do the math. So he was all smiles, the inspector was nodding and I knew that all was well. Altogether, I'd say that was a very sweet learning experience.
{{gwi:2137581}}

I must say this next picture is no beauty, but beauty is only skin deep. This is my precious stacking Frigidaire washer/dryer. You note in previous photo it had its drain hose stuffed up its vent. Hmm, that sounds sort of trashy, but you saw what I said and I speak true.

Like I say, beauty is as beauty does. I am going on eight weeks of no washer dryer. Do you know how that makes me feel? Eight weeks of trips to the laundromat and machines that don't spin enough water out........you get the picture.

And I do so miss my adorable washer/dryer that is sitting in my Teahouse, having been dropped twice as the two yaahoos drug it from my tearful embrace before they tore off the last board from my porch and boarded up my back door.
I think having my clothes washed and sinking into clean sheets on demand, that is one thing I miss the most in this remodel. Gotta love indoor plumbing in general.
{{gwi:2137582}}

Here are my two new back doors. I have the coolest Schlage locks for these, can be keyless, cannot wait for DH to see these locks, he will faint. That reaction will be nothing compared to how he reacts when he sees the really masterful Schlage locking set for the front door. It is a SMART LOCK. In fact all three are rather smart I believe. I am thrilled. DH will be fainting.

The triangular window goes to another job. But I immediately thought how nice they would look in my gable end.
{{gwi:2137583}}

And here you see the light from above shining down upon this trailer load of debris....it was a dying beast of burden, but it was soon thereafter driven away after fixing two flat tires (remember the old roof came off), to return before the weekend was over.
{{gwi:2137584}}

One of my cypress louvered doors, the 2 1/4 inch thick one. The one to hang on barndoor hardware. I think I've about reached the end of my career as a sander. I had to get off just enough that it would not drop mosaics of paint chips on the floor and drive DH crazy, and embarrass me. I like it looking rustic and industrial and thus modern. I think there is a bit of a hippie in my soul.....no, that was gypsy in my soul.
But you get the idea? You know I have the second such door, not quite as thick, which will hang on hinges as part of my outdoor shower screen. I know it will be involved, but just how and where exactly is not revealed to me. I sometimes outthink myself and wind up painted into a corner.
{{gwi:2137585}}

The painter's helper was here the day this was taken. Stucco overspray was sanded and scraped off the window frames so he could prime. and have the frames ready when our windows are delivered. Supposed to be delivered in Week Eight--which is of course NOW! Well, wait and see.

Looking more like a house all the time. Isn't that a cute doggy door?
{{gwi:2137586}}

Now doesn't this look like a boat dock to you? Imagine copper pyramid caps and sailboat lifelines. Open garden view....well, not now of course, but hopefully next spring. I have great ideas for the relationship of the back of the house, the deck, and the courtyard between there and my hosta garden I named Garden of White Dove.
{{gwi:2137587}}

{{gwi:2137588}}

NOTE:
If I commenced a Week Eight thread today, it would have one word:

WOW

Waiting On Windows.

Comments (3)