Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of door handles, if any, for this cabinet?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 21:41

It's supposed to look like ammunition boxes and originally, they would have had rope pulls.

I had wood knobs from an old chest, but the more I think of knobs and electric cords hanging on them, the more I think no. So, handles, wood or black wrought iron? Or no handles and the kind of catches with a push release? I'm leaning to push release but I've never seen them in use.

p.s. Building a cabinet with drawers that will be next to this one, and am trying to figure out how to use ammunition box covers on them, or a Dr. Pepper case. Or both.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of door handles, if any, for this cabinet?

I like the black wrought iron...where is this going? It's pretty cool :)

o

I'd put on something black, sleek looking - so not to detract from cab. with good amount of projection so not to nick knuckles when using.

like at link

Here is a link that might be useful: pull

o

It's in the garage LL. Thanks Steph, I like that pull. I'm not worried about the amount of projection as much as I'm concerned about electric cords catching on it and sawdust.

o

yikes! I totally missed that! then use wood for the knobs - sounds safer!
I love that cabinet... not that I have enough ammo to fill it up - lol!

o

I think the push release will work the best in a spot where power cords are an issue.

You might put a flat plate where the "push" is expected, because it will catch the dirt from working hands.

As thorough as you are, Marti, you will probably be sealing this wood but keep the rustic look.

I hope your DH appreciates how tuned you are to his likes.
:)

o

Thanks ML. I don't know if I will seal it or not. I kind of like the idea of it getting a patina from getting beat up a bit more.

o

I am all for the push release too.

GREAT cabinet!!!! Handles might hide some of the cool writing on the doors.

o

What about using empty shot gun shells, glued over wooden posts, as the pulls?

o

Oooh, that's a great idea. I bought the push release latches today, but I can take them back if I can figure out how to do this. Or even some kind of brass shell. Hmmm, I need to find someone who loads their own shells to get an empty.

o

Love the shell idea. Good creativity Chibimimi!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here