Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

I guess this is goodbye ... sniff ... :'(

Just kidding! But, I have finished my guest room, referenced in this gardenweb post from TWO years ago. And now the square footage of my home is over 2000sf. I still think of it as a smaller home--I think of it as the 3BR bungalow we bought 20 years ago, even though, over the years, we've added 2 more bedrooms, a half-bath, a laundry/sewing room, and a family gathering/play room, with space for another full bath.

I know I'm still welcome here, so in true Smaller Homes form, I'll go OT and tell you why I haven't been around much lately. (Lol, you may skip to the pics, then come back to this part--I won't be offended.)

After I finished the painted plywood floor in the gathering/play room in early 2013, I decided to take some time in the spring to garden, and in fact, the weather last year was perfect for pumpkins--I had some beauties last fall. It was also a perfect year for pears--we had fresh pears, baked pears, dried pears, and even hauled fermenting pears up on the hill for the deer to enjoy.

But, then the bad times came along. My favorite aunt started having frightening hallucinations and delusions, and was eventually diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia. After she started taking medication for it, she seemed to have a slight improvement, but then my mother was diagnosed with colon cancer. My mother had successful surgery, followed by oral chemo treatment, and is now cancer-free and doing very well. A week after my mother's follow-up MRI, my father had a stroke. He was lucky--he was able to attract the attention of a neighbor who recognized the symptoms of stroke, and called the EMS before he called me. My parents have been divorced for years, and each lives alone. My father was given the t-PA medication in time to avoid paralysis, but had to have a stent implanted in a carotid artery, followed by a couple of months of physical therapy. I'm thankful that he, also, is doing very well.

Unfortunately, my father's stroke seemed to send my aunt into a downward spiral--three months later she passed away from complications of LBD, and since I had promised to take care of her elderly miniature rat terrier (appropriately named Cujo, lol), I spent several more months being a doggie caregiver, until he passed peacefully in his bed. So, for most of the last year I was really busy, and emotionally stressed. I returned to my construction projects as a way to deal with my grief over my aunt's passing, just as I did when working on my kitchen, after my dear husband passed away four years ago.

The last time I posted about the guest room, I was trying to decide how to build the twin beds, and whether I should finish the room so that it could be used as a second master BR, with beds that could be converted to closet space. My plan was to have a double bed, two built-in twin beds, a baby bed, and an antique fainting couch, which could also be used as a twin bed. Well, plans change. My daughter, who moved back in with us in 2010, wants to keep the changing table that I refurbished for her, so it will be in the place that was reserved for the baby bed. I have a friend who is becoming a grandmother for the first time, and I'm giving the bed to her--I bought it at a yard sale, so no emotional attachments. I've also decided against using the fainting couch, even though it's a family heirloom. I haven't yet discussed that issue with my FIL, who thought that he'd soon have a little more leg room in his basement.

This is the way the room looked when I last posted:
{{gwi:2076900}}

And this:

The finished room:
{{gwi:2076903}}

I decided to build in bunks that can be converted to closet space, so the clothes pole is already attached. The foam mattress can be stored against the back wall of the bed, and part, or all, of the 3-piece deck can be removed and stored behind the mattress, to accommodate longer clothing. Each bunk has two drawers below, which my friend found at a Re-store for $5.00 each. I built trays on each end that slide out for easy access. The next few pics show one of the bunks set up for use as a bed, and one set up as closet space. One bunk, before the antique shutters were added:
{{gwi:2076904}}

After shutters, which are hinged to swing out to access shoe trays, and to make it easier to change bedding. Rods are already in place for future curtains:
{{gwi:2076906}}

Bed on the right set up as a closet:
{{gwi:2137681}}

If you look at the deck, you can see that it has three sections, and a finger slot to help lift it. I made the dresses for my girls when they were small. The mattress is against the back wall:
{{gwi:2076907}}

I'm still re-using and recycling; the chest of drawers in the next picture was used in the nursery when my children were babies. I built a cubby above it to house the window air conditioner in the off-season. I made the Dutch door from a hollow-core door that we've been storing for years--I knew it would be useful, eventually:
{{gwi:2076908}}

There is a small storage closet in the corner, with boxes built in under the eaves. I also built shelves in wasted spaces between the studs. In this pic you see some of my vintage pottery and old books, but the shelves are perfect for CDs and DVDs, paperback books, or for displaying record albums. I painted a craigslist chair with left-over paint from the kitchen cabinets. Thanks, Chris, for the idea:
{{gwi:1876078}}

My father-in-law built the cradle 30 years ago:
{{gwi:2076909}}

Turning the corner--picture taken before I arranged the furniture. This built-in cabinet was a sink vanity in our downstairs bathroom. I built the box on top, and the shorter box on the right side, then re-used three drawers from the former kitchen cabinets. The half shelf that you see in the vanity is the former top to the chest of drawers that I recessed under the AC cubby--it was an almost perfect fit. The doors, which are being painted, are barely visible at the bottom of the picture:
{{gwi:2076910}}

I found this salvaged cast iron swing stool on eBay for a great price. It had no mounting hardware, was chipped and rusted in places, and had a metal seat. My miracle-worker brother-in-law made new mounting hardware out of scrap iron. I painted it with appliance spray paint, and attached a purchased, 18" wood top, to convert it to a night stand/side table. It can swing 180 degrees, so one can sit in the rocker in front of the sunny window, and still reach a cup of coffee. I also spray painted the granny rocker, which was used in my nursery so many years ago:
{{gwi:2076911}}

This little chest of drawers was also used in the nursery. It pulls out on casters, and functions as a door, in front of another storage closet under the eaves. The closet is perfect for storing our artificial Christmas trees, wreaths, and another window air conditioner. The chippy piece of trim above came from the mirror mount of an old Victorian dresser. I've had it stored in the barn since my mother gave it to me, years ago. (The mount, not the dresser--I don't know if she ever had the dresser.)
{{gwi:2076912}}

There is a storage closet in the eaves, extending behind the bed on the left. The changing table now sits in front of the door, but the closet houses items that aren't often needed. There is an extra clothes pole (left-over from another project), some clothes pegs, and a couple of hooks in this area between the beds. The trim pieces are also from the Victorian dresser, painted to match the beds. The floor is painted plywood. Even though I'd started installing laminate flooring, after living with the painted plywood in the play room for over a year, I decided I liked it better. I sold the laminate, and had Lowe's cut luan in 12" strips--much easier to handle than 4x8 sheets:
{{gwi:2076913}}

My mother gave me the vintage, frosted-glass lamp, and I added my great aunt's tatting thread spools. The great aunt made a couple of the quilts displayed on the changing table, as well as the embroidered, crochet edged pillow cases on the bed. The white gloves were also hers. The alarm clock belonged to my aunt who recently passed away:
{{gwi:2076914}}

So now you've had the tour, here is one of my inspiration pictures. If you click on it, you'll go to my inspiration/idea album in PB. My color scheme is a little more subdued, and I tried to build in as much storage as possible, leaving open floor space for an airy feel:
{{gwi:2076915}}

Also, I have a confession to make--this is no longer a guest room. My DD just married a great guy, and they are moving into the room, so I suppose it's the 'honeymoon suite.' She's been sleeping in one of the smaller bedrooms since 2010, but now, since there are two of them, I've offered the larger room. I've had a vision of a pretty guest room in my mind for six years, but as I typed above, plans change. I was going to paint the bed and shutters off-white, and the floor green, to match the Dutch door, but my daughter wanted the bed to remain unpainted, and the floor to be white. She doesn't really care about the shutters, so I might paint them light green to match the Dutch door, some day.

The smaller bedroom where she's been sleeping will become the guest room, and her childhood bedroom (also very small), will be her new husband's office/private space. You know, in case he needs to get away from the monster-in-law. :]

If you'd like some in-progress pics, and more details, you can view my on-line album. Click on any picture for captions, and hover the cursor at the end of the caption for complete text. If you made it this far, thank you for listening, and for being my patient friends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guest room album

This post was edited by mama_goose on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 20:45

Comments (26)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mama Goose, how lovely to have you come to the forum tonight! I was just about to post updates to my remodel project, and saw your new thread.

It made my heart skip a beat, "I guess the is goodbye?" Oh heavens NO WAY. It took you two years, it took me two years to begin this project. I can tell from all the features that you put your hand to that you have built great personal confidence. You are quite an able builder, with great imagination. Also, you are weaving your family history, tradition, family members, into the story of your home. I admire what you are creating.

But I must say, what I'm waiting for is the BUTTERY, which will be your private studio for writing, for meditating. What better place for you to enjoy smooth pleasant even dreamy thoughts. I'd love to come spend some time with you and the other folks from the forum, flowers blooming all around, bees buzzing in the tall grass left natural, a slight breeze bringing the scent of roses, and tea brewing over a small pot bellied stove. Do you not feel the peace of what you create?

Tell me...what color of yellow paint are you using? It looks so soft in the photos.

What a joy to have you return before the holidays. Welcome home, Mama!

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 21:06

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

It's beautiful! And I'm so glad you're not leaving...that title had me worried for a minute.

You are SO good at finding ways to use every square inch of space. We might end up with a small attic room in a house we're looking at with my mom. I may be asking you for some ideas!

I'm so sorry about your Aunt. I know it's difficult to have loved ones, who are ill and the amount of stress it puts on the one taking care of them. I'm so happy you took care of the little dog.

My husband was mis-diagnosed with Lewy Body, so I know how difficult that type of illness can be. One thing I feel I must add...there is another illness that mimics LBD, but it does not affect the trunk of the body. That's what my husband had (along with about five other people) but the doctors aren't sure what it is. My husband is getting better (after two years of hard work/therapy) but many of the other people are not.

I'm so glad you are back and Congrats on your daughter's wedding! Such a nice present to have a lovely room to come home to and enjoy :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, moccasinlanding. The buttery will definitely be a warm-weather project--maybe I'll start it in the spring. If I find that there are too many people around here, a private space outside would be most welcome. I used to feel most peaceful mowing grass, or in my gardens, but I've lost interest. Maybe when my house is finished, I'll enjoy the outdoors again.

There are two colors of paint on the walls, although, depending on the light, they almost look the same. The dormer, which houses the bed and bookcases, is painted in a color that I mixed, starting with paint left over from the play room downstairs. Lol, I mixed that paint, too, from several left over cans that my mother gave me. The closest color that I can find on a chip, is Valspar 'Cream Cake' from Lowe's. The other walls, the ceiling, and the trim are my old stand-by 'Adobe White.' Flat finish on the ceiling and the sheet rocked walls, semi-gloss on the baseboard, and half flat/half semi-gloss on the beadboard walls. The floor is 'Adobe White' mixed at 200% tint--I wanted it darker than the walls, but not as dark as the next color on the chip. It does look creamy-yellow compared to the walls.

Before I relinquished the room to my DD, I spent several quiet afternoons sitting in the sunshine from the west-facing window, enjoying the feeling of accomplishment.

lavender_lass, thank you, for the condolences, and for the good wishes for my children. I just reread the post from two years ago, in which I said my DD was coveting the newer, larger room. Lol, she has her room now--I wonder if she took the husband to get the room? ;)

I've considered posting about LBD several times, but it's such a long, sad story. My dear aunt was terrified of her hallucinations, which were very real to her. Years ago she was told by a physician that she had scoliosis--we now know that she was starting to show the LBD posture. She was classic--as soon as I typed in her symptoms in a search, Lewy Body Dementia popped up. Her doctor had missed all the symptoms, although in fairness to him and his PA, I don't think my aunt ever told them all of her symptoms, at least not at one appointment. I had to get very pushy to convince them that she needed to be referred to a neurologist. When I took her to the neuro appointment, I could tell by the interviewer's demeanor right away--that resolved any doubts that I had, although post mortem there was no brain autopsy for a definitive dx. It seems that most people are misdiagnosed first with other diseases before LBD is considered. Maybe that's changing, since it is the 2nd or 3rd most common form of dementia. I was unpleasantly surprised to find that most caregivers for the elderly don't know anything about the disease. I'm happy to hear that your DH is better.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I had a new doctor (one step up from intern?) suggest LBD, but she tried to convince me to start my husband on medicine immediately. I didn't think enough of his symptoms matched, so I said no...I wanted to wait for the neurologist appointment.

The scary thing was that the medicine she wanted to put him on might have made him even worse. Since no one could seem to figure out what he had (and it took four months to see a neurologist) he became the medical experiment.

Try this medication for three days, switch to another for three days, switch...look, he's hallucinating! The doctors finally said they had no idea what was wrong with him...so I told them to stop. He finally 'cleared' and started getting better, after 6 weeks, one trip to the ER and two to ICU. All this for a supposed 3 day hospital stay :(

It's so neat that your daughter got her wish! See, you made the bedroom too nice! LOL I hope you enjoy your garden next spring...maybe we can all have fun planning (and planting) gardens together :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

OHHHHHH I have so much to say but I must clean up my kitchen first I did a turkey dinner tonight then had to go out and shovel snow. MamaGoose I am so glad you are back. Please no good by's. Was just thinking of you today as I looked at the columbine still looking good after severe frost of about 18. I think the snow might have put them to winter rest now though.

Be back in a little bit. I was sitting here warming up and reading your comments as I looked at the photos. All so Beautiful. And I just KNEW you painted that chair. LOVE that soft green. Mine is still holding up but I might give it another coat of paint this winter. LOL

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"It made my heart skip a beat, "I guess the is goodbye?" Oh heavens NO WAY."

Mine too!! I recently saw you posted on another board and posted there for you to come home to us! I've missed - as have the others.
    (same for you IDIE if you're reading)

sorry about your aunt and I can hardly believe it's been 4 yrs since your dh passed. wow, how time is speeding by. I 'spect that means I'm 4 yrs older now... I'm sure I'm 4 yrs slower!

boy, have you been busy - that room is just wonderful. so much storage built in and around it. amazing work you do!

If you're ready for a 'rest' in the Phx area, just let me know. I'll get an air mattress and let you have my bed. You'd sure shape this place up. I'm sure you'd have no problems turning one of my cabinets into drawers.

congrats on the new SIL!
    so glad you posted here again - don't stay away - those angled ceilings deduct from sq footage!

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

MamaGoose I think you gave all of us a start on your Goodbye.

So sorry about your Aunt. And very happy your Mom and Dad are doing better. You have had your hands full for sure. I know all too well like LL the caretaker roll can wear a person down.Was so good you were able to have your house projects to help your mind escape the sadness of the illness. I use my glass work.

I think painting the furniture is such a gas. I am seriously considering painting my love seat. I keep it covered in layers of throws to keep down the animal hair. The white chair gets vacuumed and it is a snap to wipe it down. But after what? 5-6 years it could use another coat of paint. LOVE Craigs list. It has cost me a whole lot of money. LOL

I love all you have done in the rooms they look so warm and cozy. Are the kids using the bunks or are they in other rooms? That swing stool / table is amazing. Perfect pop of color too. Perfect idea to be able to use it in two ways too. Somewhere I saw a swing stool and now I can not remember where it was.

When my hands and feet were so bad from the psoriasis I also lost interest in the yard. I kept hoping the spark would come back. My hands and feet are healed ,for now, and I have really enjoyed working in the yard again. Hope it will come back to you too. Creating a new small patio space and just doing some fun yard things. I have created a monster in my morning glories and some day I might just have to spray the whole mess of them down. Next year I will see if I can keep them a little better under control.

Must head to bed. Up early to get to the dentist if the roads will allow. It is still blizzard conditions out there right now and have been all day.

• User
    9 years ago

Blizzard? Heaven above, Shade....when you get winter you do it the hard way!

I had some sort of dream last night and it involved hippopotamus under the bed, my feet dangling off, and I woke up hollering in a panic. Weird. I had no lights in my suite either, turns out some tool was plugged in and threw the breaker for the Teahouse and my bathroom, closet, and bedroom. Yet the motion light in the bathroom came on fine. I was too tired to think about it last night, but DH solved the problem this morning. I'll be so glad when the electrician comes and corrects the issues we've had with power.

The LBD is worth understanding. I never heard of it before, but if it is 2nd to Altzheimers, us oldtimers need to keep an eye out for it. Who knew that two of the forum regulars would have it touch the lives of their loved ones. You never know when something wicked this way comes.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, desertsteph, I saw your greeting, and here I am! Yes, I'll just avoid the "How many s.f.?" threads from now on. If we lived closer I would love to help--as long as I can take my time, lol.

shades, I knew you'd spot the chair right away. Thank you for all the kind words. My DD already has both of the bunks converted to closets--one for her, one for her DH, but I think some of her clothes will eventually creep into his space.

My grandson still sleeps in the room that was my sons, at the opposite end of the upstairs--he's seven, now, and has lived here for more than half of his life. Of course, he's been here for all of his life--I've been his babysitter since he was three days old. He has made that room his own. It has twin beds that are each half of a king-size platform bed. The foam mattresses for the new beds can be taken out and placed on the floor for extra guests--there is enough floor space to make that practical, and I have two lounge chair pads that can be added for a little extra padding. They are currently being used as landing pads for the trapeze bar in the play room. I had planned to make pretty duvet covers for them to match the guest room, but now we'll use them as-is. That's less work for me.

I'm pleased to hear that the columbine are still performing--the way they reseed, you'll have them forever. I always look forward to discovering what color blooms the new plants will have. Yikes on the blizzard--and a dental appointment on top of that. I don't enjoy cold weather at all. Maybe having a new SIL will mean that I no longer have to shovel snow.

lavender and moccasin, I think that every one should take the time to read about LBD. I'm an info-nut--when something affects me, or someone I care about, I want all the information I can find. The only way that LBD can be diagnosed for certain is by an autopsy--the Lewy bodies are identified through tissue stain, but if most of the symptoms are present, the dx is assumed. One problem is that it affects people in different ways, and it's not always the same from day to day, or hour to hour in an individual. The Mayo Clinic website has a lot of information, as does the LBD website, which has a forum for patients and caregivers. There are also several lectures uploaded on Youtube.

It's a fascinating subject, but I wish I'd never heard of it as well.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, it seems that LBD is in the news, although I didn't know that when I posted my update. It's being reported that Robin Williams' autopsy indicates that he had it. I suspected as much when I heard that he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's. Both diseases are linked to abnormal protein clusters, called Lewy bodies, named for the doctor who first identified them.

When my aunt passed away in early April, I had never heard LBD mentioned in a TV report, although I probably wouldn't have paid much attention if I had heard about it. That changed with the reports of Casey Kasem's illness and death. Robin Williams' ordeal will also help to inform the public.

I will mention one important thing. Because it's been reported that LBD is more common in men, my aunt's caregivers seemed to think that she couldn't have it. BUT, the odds are still frightening--one of every three LBD sufferers is female.

There are medications that, if given early enough, can help delay cognitive deterioration. As LL mentioned, sometimes it's a process of trial and error to find the best medication, or combination of meds. My aunt also had Capgras delusions, when she thought that she was in a place like her house, but not her house. And as much as I regret my aunt's passing, it's a blessing that she never came to the point where she was in the 'other place' more than when she was with us.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

MamaGoose- I will say, you seem to know a LOT more about this disease than any of my husband's doctors. The gal, who mentioned it thought this was the case, after six weeks of experimenting on him with Zyprexa and other nasty medicines.

The problem was his liver had been affected by whatever he had, so none of the medicines were 'clearing' his system as they should. So every medication they gave my husband was actually having the effect of triple dosing him. No wonder he was seeing things dropping off the ceiling. Finally, he was basically completely out of it, stuck in bed and hardly recognizable, when they started up with LBD.

At the time, the doctor said I should start him on medications that would keep him this way forever (?) and if I didn't start them that day, he would get worse. Is there a worse, I mean really...is there? How could anything be worse than not know who you are, what is going on or who anyone else is...seeing scary spiders non-stop and acting like you're going through DT all the time.

So, I thought about it and decided I wouldn't want to end up like that...so I said no. It was a risk and one I had to carry by myself, for the most part. If I had been wrong....but luckily, I wasn't.

Then, transfer to another facility (as he started getting better) and then more idiot doctors coming in a giving him medications he wasn't supposed to have...this happened about four times. He still has trouble with his hands, because they were clenched up for eight days straight. I have a very low opinion of much of the medical community, but there are some great doctors out there, and we finally found a few.

His neurologist is wonderful and his new doctor (fired the old one...and he was not happy) is also very good. Sorry to digress, but it really helps to tell you all about this. And I want everyone to be careful, when it comes to medications.

One reason I said no and thought the meds might be the problem, is that my husband's BIL had the same problem during his treatment against cancer. The doctors gave him so many meds that they interacted with each other and HE started seeing things. That made me think maybe my husband was possibly suffering from the same thing.

On a brighter note, we don't have a blizzard...just single digit lows. That being said, the sun is shining and it's supposed to warm up to the high 30s (!) this weekend. Hopefully the sun is coming your way, Chris :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LL, I know exactly what you have experienced. If I told you how I really feel about my aunt's GP, his staff, and the caregivers that she had, even after the LBD was diagnosed, there would be tendrils of smoke coming from your screen. So, I'll refrain.

After a bad hallucination, my aunt was taken to the local ER. She was interviewed by a caseworker, who said she saw no signs of dementia. My uncle was there during the interview, to verify that my aunt's long term memories were accurate. After researching LBD, I was sure the caseworker used a protocol for Alzheimers, probably basing the decision on my aunt's age (79), and because AD is the most common form of dementia.

When I called the caseworker about my concerns, she said, "Well, yes, I've heard of Lewy Body, being something that elderly people can have. I'll have to look it up." Really?! You work in a field that deals with decline and dementia in the elderly population. You just interviewed an elderly woman who is having vivid, involved hallucinations and delusions, with no history of chemical abuse or mental illness. And you didn't bother to type her symptoms into a computer. These were my thoughts, not my words, because I needed her on my side. Maybe the caseworker felt guilty, but at that point she volunteered to call my aunt's stodgy family doctor, who then gave us a referral for the neuro.

I know that my aunt was cagey--she didn't want to disclose all of her symptoms and fears. She didn't want anyone to think she was 'crazy' or that her house was haunted by strange little human/animal hybrids. She didn't want to take a chance on losing her drivers' license, just in case she might need it. But aren't medical professionals trained to ask the right questions?

Because of the list of her physical symptoms, I followed a lot of tangents, including Sjogren's and Creutzfeldt-jakob, but it kept coming back to LBD.

Lol, everyone who has ever asked me about my aunt's health now knows a whole lot more about the disease. I should get a T-shirt printed with the following:

ASK ME ABOUT LEWY BODY DEMENTIA

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Knowledge is power! I should have a T-shirt that says:

JUST SAY NO TO MIXING MEDICATIONS

I helped my grandmother with all her medications for years and I found out her pharmacist was much more careful than the doctors often were...making sure medications would not interact negatively with each other.

Like you said, you have to wonder...don't you know this? You are supposed to be the expert. I got so frustrated with one doctor, I asked him...can you do what I'm asking? He said, no...that would be up to another doctor. So I said, why am I wasting my time talking to you? (I know, not very nice...but at some point you just want something DONE and done right.)

If we all worked in our professions the way some of these medical people do, we would be out of work. I really think the biggest problem I had at the hospital is that they now have many, many 'new' doctors taking tours for a few days at a time. Then another batch, then another batch. Not one was staying on the case and there was no consistency. When we ended up in the ICU (the second time) I finally found a GREAT doctor and got some help with why the medications weren't clearing properly.

Can you believe...one of these 'touring' doctors actually asked me, what medications do you think we should give him? I mean, they were serious...do I look like a doctor? I felt like saying, I don't even play one on TV (LOL) as all this gets a little bit of a dream-like quality after a while (stress and sleep deprivation).

So anyway, I looked right back at the doctor and said...what did the ICU doctor give my husband? That seemed to work, let's try that. And they did!

It's so bad, it's almost tragically funny, but the stakes are too high to not keep fighting for the person you love. While I'm normally a nice (but determined) person...I did have doctors, who hid from me when I came through the hall :)

• User
    9 years ago

Must say I admire you both for standing firm when the inmates were running the asylum!

Both stories are cautionary tales to those of us who have yet to encounter medical stupidity or cluelessness.

I've read on the website for LBD caregivers, where they asked pointed questions and got straightforward answers. It is a scary illness even with good doctors, a nightmare with ignorant ones.

I did not realize this disease was connected to the deaths of Casey Kasen and Robin Williams. I remember a doctor telling me some years back, that someone died of a disease named depression, this is every bit deadly too.

I'm purchased a couple of books about different dementias, and I don't think LBD was mentioned. I'll check the index to see for certain.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If my aunt had not been diagnosed with LBD, I probably would not have paid attention to the news reports citing it and Parkinson's disease. When I started searching for answers more than a year ago, most websites listed vascular dementia as the second most common, followed by LBD. Today, when I checked several news reports for info on Robin Williams, every one of them listed LBD as second. I don't know if that means that the disease is being identified more often, or if it is actually on the rise.

Depression is a risk with any one who has developed LBD, or any form of dementia. People sometimes become isolated when they stop socializing for a number of reasons: fear of doing something 'strange' in front of friends, embarrassment at forgetting names, fear of having an accident because of the problems with balance, or because of losing interest in normal activities. I saw all of those fears in my aunt.

I've been really busy working on the bedroom for the last couple of months. When I was discussing Robin Williams' autopsy report with a friend on the phone today, I realized that I'd hardly thought of LBD during those couple of months, until I included the info in my post last evening. It was kind of nice to have a break.

• User
    9 years ago

That is one thing I really love about the Smaller Homes Forum. You can bring your joys found working or playing house, and there are others here who will appreciate what you have done. I enjoy (and enjoyed it all my life) imagining places to live. It was my habit to think of as many ways as I could to arrange something, to reuse in numerous ways old found objects.

When it came time to put things together in real life, I discovered that money figured in it a LOT, but so did simple construction. I never saw a house built before. I've watched each process of this construction fascinated. The contractor said we'd go through the entire process of building a new house as we did this one. And it all happens in a certain order, one right after the other. I'm at a loss until it comes time to arrange the furniture, or locate bookshelves, or perhaps a convenient storage closet.

We'll be going back to the FUN of the forum, and keep in mind that what does not kill us makes us stronger. Steel magnolias.

• valerie427
    9 years ago

ML, what a nice way you have of expressing yourself in words. I completely agree with you philosophy (and the balance of money with basics and vision). I never thought of myself as a steel magnolia, but I guess up here in the north (we have magnolias too) we are also that. I know I would like the south (but I would miss the autumn in the northeast).

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My father has had a long career as a builder. He built a house for his parents when he was 18 years old, with his 16 year old brother as helper. It was my favorite place on earth when I was growing up. My uncle still lives in that house, and this summer he and my father, two white-haired old men, worked on it together again, adding a room.

Even after having the stroke in January, my father is now occupied in building a small rental home on his property. These days he's doing more supervising than hands-on building, but he loves the framing process.

I've watched him build many houses. When I was a kid I hated to have to sweep up sawdust and wood scraps at the end of the day, but I still love the smell of freshly cut lumber.

• User
    9 years ago

Mama, I appreciate the things you say about your memories. The building process flows in your bloodstream, ties you in one more way to your family traditions, and brings you closer to your father. I suppose the same thing happened when I spent my younger years "in the country" with my beloved grandparents. It is a strength bred in the bone. The things you create in your home demonstrate how close you paid attention. Sometimes families think the boys carry forward the traditions of the fathers, but I believe the daughters are just as likely to do so.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to say in my last post: Because I grew up watching the building process, I took it for granted. Your appreciation of the construction 'dance' brought back the memories.

Until posting about my grandmother's house, I hadn't thought about the juxtaposition of two teenage boys building a house together, and then 60 years later, the two senior citizens building onto the same house. In my mind's eye I can see the young boys working on the south side of the house and the old dears working on the north side, with all those years stretching between.

• User
    9 years ago

Mama, that is a beautiful image.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Yes MamaGoose that is a wonderful thought provoking image.

You and LL have been rung through the mill. I also had a few issues with medications for Joe. This is when I started to keep a detailed journal. Some thing that could not just be heard from me but written so the doctors and nurses would see I was keeping details and when he was told to take this or that med is showed up in his food journal as barfing his guts out. Stop the meds he was better. And even though these meds were supposed to keep him from getting sick they did not work that way.

I was also very frustrated on the way they were taking care of him in the hospital. His skin was horrible and his toe nails were awful. No one even bothered to look at his feet but me. Interesting the first thing the home health nurse looked at was his feet and she was pleased I had cared for them She said it is common in hospital to neglect the feet. And when they brought him food they did not open the container even after notes taped to the tray and written on his board in the room. I would get there and everything closed up. He could not open the containers so he would go hungry. He was too out of it to ask. I had to spoon feed him for a couple weeks after we got home. Sometimes he fell back to sleep eating half a cup of custard.

LBD sounds like a horrible disease. Spiders coming from the ceiling is more than enough to make a person go over the edge. Feeling so bad for your and and Hubby. MG and LL.

We did get some sun. We canceled the dentist appointment yesterday AM. too much snow and emergency weather alerts saying stay off the roads. I think we got 5 or 6 inches of snow but at some point in the night there was a bit of rain so it laid down an ice slick under the snow.

This morning we woke to sun and about 13 degrees. We did breakfast then out to put the snow plow on the ranger. Joe had about half of it done then I went out to help him do the rest. I know he wanted to do it all by himself but it is good for me to refresh my brain on how it goes on and comes off. Then I went off to the post office and Joe plowed the driveway. LOL He even plowed a swath across the back yard for the kitties to travel on their adventures.

• shadygrove
    9 years ago

Not to take away from the power personal aspects of this thread....just want to applaud you, Mama Goose, for more of your usual masterfully visualized and executed projects. I have been thinking about the combination of thrift and ingenuity that was often evident in the use of materials in the late forties and early fifties, and you certainly have that mojo. Always such a treat to see your work. Thanks for posting!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Mama Goose, your finished rooms are so much better than your inspiration pictures that I think they should be the inspiration pictures. I love your vision and execution of what you want. And I'm so sorry to hear about all the tragedy in your family.

I've never really heard of Lewy Body, but now I'm wondering if fil had it. His hallucinations were vivid.

My house is over the 2000 limit, but I also feel that it is still a small house at heart. I know I don't belong here anymore.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

What? What do you mean you don't belong here anymore, Marti? Of course you do...many people don't count their basement space, which would put them over the limit. And besides, I've always considered that square footage number a recommendation, not a requirement :)

If someone enjoys living more simply, the idea of flexible spaces, making their space live larger, or IMHO even recycling, reusing, green space...this is the forum to be visiting! We all seem to be trying to get our spaces to work effectively and efficiently, no matter our family size or location.

It's not fair to make the same space requirement, when some homes are in the warm southeast (and have outdoor entertaining spaces) and others are in the cold north...and only can entertain outside for a few months out of the year.

I guess I got a little off topic, but maybe not. This is a post on taking an unused space (at least at the time) and turning it into a charming space with many functions. Now, it's a well-used space that brings a family together. I think that describes our forum, perfectly!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

moccasin, thank you. I was busy with my new bedroom when my father and uncle were building the addition on the old home place. I didn't think to take and picture of them, but I think I'll try to get them to pose together in front of it, soon.

shades, you and LL have my utmost admiration. I never really felt that I should call myself a caregiver--my aunt was able to take care of her personal needs, with a little help up and down, even in the last weeks. LBD interferes with not just the neural synapses in the brain, but also the muscles of the body. Everything starts to slow down, and eventually an opportunistic infection or other condition causes one or more organs to fail. I never felt that I was totally responsible for her care, because I had the luxury of leaving important decisions to my father and uncle. To care for a spouse must be so much more difficult. Hugs to you and your DHs.

shadygrove, thank you, I do enjoy the challenge of making something beautiful and useable from items that might otherwise be sent to a landfill.

Thank you marti, on both counts. Once a smaller homes denizen, always a smaller homes denizen--it's the mindset. If one starts with a smaller home, and enlarges that home with respect and restraint, IMO that's acceptable.

This is a post on taking an unused space (at least at the time) and turning it into a charming space with many functions. Now, it's a well-used space that brings a family together. I think that describes our forum, perfectly!
    LL, that analogy is profound.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor