Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anicee_gw

Going small...

anicee
14 years ago

This is the house I'm planning to buy as soon as our house sells here. I'm going solo after being in a relationship for 20 years. There will be only me and my dogs and cats.

The house is 816 sf, quite boring inside but in move-in condition. Hope I can make something nice and cozy with it. It has 2 outbuildings: 1 garden shed and the other building is all insulated and wired. I plan to foster cats for the SPCA so it will be great.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (52)

• emagineer
    14 years ago

What a wonderful house. Move in condition with tons of creative options in the future. It is going to be more than beautiful in the spring with all the trees. And a mystery for what is going to bloom or is planted and hybernating right now.

I'd love to see the inside too. Your animals will also be in heaven. And thank you for taking care of our lost Kitties.

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

It's adorable! from the pics it looks like it's in good condition too. cant wait to see some pics of the inside

• crystal386
    14 years ago

What a charming little house! I love how it's set on the lot among the pretty trees. It will be lovely when it snows.

I also like the fact that both entrances are covered against the elements. It looks as though it has some nice, sunny windows.

The outbuildings are too cute!

This could be a perfectly magical cottage.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Lovely cottage home! The evergreen trees around it are wonderful -- think about some foundation planting around the house. I hope you will be very happy in this darling small house.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Darling house. Hope your house sells soon for you. We had an 800 SQ FT once and it had what we called a bunk house. Was wonderful.

Fostering kitties is such a nice thing to do. I have a kennel attached to our house with pet door in a window for our kitties to be able to go outside but not to roam. They love it and it was not all that expensive.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• anicee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your comments and Chris, thank you for the picture of your kitty yard. I intend to do something like that with one of the outbuilding for the cats to go out and be safe.
    The inside of the house is very clean but very outdated with paneling. It has hardwood floors and ceramic floor in the bathroom and linoleum in the kitchen. As you see it looks a bit sad with that kind of furniture. The kitchen is ugly to say the least but I intend to remove the doors from the cabinets and paint everything white. As for the paneling I will paint them too. I find that painted paneling has a country look. All things I can do myself. Here are some pictures...
    The livingroom has an oil stove but I will replace it with a woodstove:

{{!gwi}}
    Here you can see the dining area and the opening on the pine wall....kitchen is on the other side...feel like in a restaurant will have to put a little bell when the lunch is ready :-):
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

The very very ordinary kitchen...and I intend to do something like that with it...see below.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    Bathroom:
    {{!gwi}}

I had more pictures but don't want to push it. Thank you all again. Going through not easy time here and it's nice to have some opinion. Hope our house sells fast so I can grab this one.

Anicée

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Push It Push it We Love pictures!!

This is such a darling house. I see nothing ho hum about it.

I like the kitchen. Might consider just removing some of the doors. Kitchens are so hard to clean all the time with open shelving. Ask me how I know.:^(

Bathroom is adorable and you will enjoy the laundry in there. We had that in one of our small houses. I got cute laundry baskets one for light one for dark and pretty towel to cover tops and just let them sit on top of washer and dryer.

I also like painted paneling. Wanted to do it in one house we had. Hubby said no. Lady after me did so and it was great!! Paint to your hearts content. Do what makes you happy.

So sorry you are going through a bad time. Been there done that. Not fun.

Chris

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Wow! I love it. Yes, I want to see more pictures too. That living room & kitchen arrangement is exactly what I want in my next house. I want to do something like Chris (I think) posted where the kitchen is along the back wall and blends in so it looks like a built in wall unit. Lucky you!

Is the house in the country? Doesn't look like there is anything around. Lucky, lucky you.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Oh & a funny. We inherited a loveseat that looks a lot like the one pictured, and we talked dd#2 into taking it to her first apartment. It's a sleeper and HEAVY. She may never forgive me. lol

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

It's going to be beautiful with some of the changes you mentioned. I like the idea of painting the paneling and lightening it up a bit in there and that little wall is quite clever for hiding any mess in the kitchen. I can just imagine a few kitties sitting on the other side watching and waiting while you cook. Look at those gorgeous wood floors! good luck selling your house I hope you get this one and yes, more photos!

• flgargoyle
    14 years ago

I think it's a wonderful house- I hope you get it! I agree with the painted paneling- if you're going to live in a small house, you might as well go for a cottage look. I'm currently planning a house about that size, and I'm thinking painted paneling, at least in some areas. I'm so sick of drywall, drywall, drywall! Painting the kitchen cabinets a light color will brighten it up, too. Our current house has a small galley kitchen, and just going from dark faux wood grain to all white made a tremendous difference.

Jay

• emagineer
    14 years ago

Gosh, kitty run people. I have all the material to do the same.

The interior looks like the house next door to me, a lady in her 90s. I have always wondered how much could be done to renew all. If I ever get to that age, my house will be having others wondering about it too.

Have seen a lot of paneling painted and it comes out great. My daughter just bought her first home yesterday and the master bedroom was like this. It looks good, you can hardly know paneling exists.

Also, know I've mentioned this before, but if you have a Habitat Restore around...do go and take advantage of the great deals they have for remodeling, paint, ect. I continue to bring stuff home "just in case". You can go to their website and find them.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Twas not me that posted that wonderful across the back kitchen living room . Here is the link to it and I just drool every time I see it. I would LOVE to have this in our house and it is perfect for anicee's new house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wonderful open kitchen

• anicee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm getting all excited reading all your comments about what I hope will be my next house.

Marti8a: Yes the house is in the country, in a little village surrounded by mountains. I have acces to a lake. I love walking my dogs and using my bicycle so it would be a perfect location for me. The house has 15,000sf enough space to garden and I will fence the backyard for the dogs. The house is set back from the street. I like that. In the back of the house it's a wooded area. It's a private spot but not isolated which is nice when you live alone.

Emagineer: Thank you for the info about Habitat Restore. I am not familiar with them.

So...the kitchen. At first I thought I would remove that wall to make it all open but I would be deprived of a lot of kitchen cabinets and the fridge is on the other side. If you notice in the 3rd pic of the inside, the people have 2 huge tall cabinets for storage. I will not have that there so when you come in from the side door you enter in the kitchen and I will arrange something else there. The oil stove is supposed to be extremely efficient but I much prefer a woodstove. Also I am not familiar with oil stove, oil furnace yes but not the stove. It's true I wouldn't have to order wood and stack it up every year but it is a ritual I like to do.
    The living room is 12 X15 and the dining area is 9 X 15.
    Here are the 2 bedrooms...nice wood floors in both of them:

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Thank you all for your nice comments and suggestions.

Anicée

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

I am just loving your house.

What I was thinking in the kitchen is......... I figured the people would be taking that cabinet or cabinets. Then you could swing that wall of cabinets there if you could make it to clear the door.

But really your kitchen is great as it is and a little brightening up in there and it would be a perfect serviceable kitchen. I have always loved the horse shoe shape to work in.

In older houses it was very common to have long narrow cabinets built in with glass doors. I wonder if you can find something like that to put where the cabinets will be going away.

About the cottage thing. We moved from a 1850 SQ FT to a 1200 SQ FT house and I was devastated and all undone on how was I going to live in this tiny house after having the larger one. We did get a small studio building built like your out buildings shortly after we moved in which helped. Still the house made me crazy. I just could not seem to make it all work.

THEN cottage style came into my life and I embraced it. Suddenly the house started to work for me. Funny because nothing changed with the house.It was all me and the way I looked at my house.

I really think you will love this darling house. I can just see the walls light and pretty. I think the wood will look great painted. Be sure to primer it first and I suggest the oil based kilz as it dries really fast and gives a good painting surface. Otherwise the wood seems to bleed through.

OH Hurry up and get in this house. I am sure all of us are dying to help you decorate.

Chris

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

"So...the kitchen. At first I thought I would remove that wall to make it all open but I would be deprived of a lot of kitchen cabinets and the fridge is on the other side."

my first thought was to remove that wall and open it up too but I think that wall is very practical in that space. If you open up the kitchen to the living areas I think the whole area is always going to look a bit cluttered and as you said it gives you more storage space. Once that wall is painted it will look a lot less clumsy IMO.

If you ever do a complete redo of the kitchen I think it would be a good idea to keep a separating wall like that but to move it out to the dining area a bit and give you some more kitchen space but I think that wall really works to cut down on the visual clutter when you walk in the front door.

I cant believe the house is only 850sqft because the rooms look like a great size in the photos. LOL @ Idaho, yes hurry up and buy it! lol

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Oh yes, it was mjlb who posted that great picture. Anicee, have those floors been recently replaced or are they original? They are terrific. I sure hope you get this house, it just looks perfect. Nice sized bedrooms too. I like that.

• anicee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Trancegemini: Yes the house is actually 816sf. I'm ina 2000 sf house here and before I was in a 3800sf...talk about downsizing. The bedrooms are small 10 X 11 but I'm positive I'll be more than fine there, I think I'll be really happy.

Marti8a: Yes those floors have been replaced over 12 years ago.

Thanks again!

Anicée

• emagineer
    14 years ago

This is such a fun post with all wanting to be part of your transition.

I'm curious where the window is located on the right front. Is it in one of the bedrooms?

My dining area was also in the living room, but took out some storage in the kitchen and put a drop leaf in there. Opened up my living room a great deal.

Me too....can't wait to see what you do. And thinking of you for getting this little treasure.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Those bedrooms look a lot bigger than 10x11. I hear you on downsizing, though not that much. We went from 2000 to 900 without getting rid of anything, and it was like living in a second hand furniture store. I think the smaller house would have been quite comfortable if we had been able to get rid of some furniture and then buy more when we finally built our house.

• anicee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Emagineer: To answer your question, the window located on the right front is a bow window and it's in the
    living room. The bedrooms give on the back of the house...view on the backyard,

Marti8a: The bedrooms 10 X11...this is what I have on the listing.

Now...I'm about to bury a little statue of Saint-Joseph in our backyard here in order to sell the house....You must know this Irish tradition...

Anicée

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Oh yes, I've heard of that. If we ever get to see, you can bet I'll do the same. Where do you get the statue?

• emagineer
    14 years ago

Oh...I too buried St. Joseph in the front yard at my last house. It sold within 4 weeks of doing that. My realtor suggested this and I thought she was a bit out of it at the time. Am not catholic. My mother was, so she would have been right there with me. Forgive me, but I still don't know if I was blessed with this. But many people do it and seems to work.

I found St. Joseph in a set of Christmas figures at a craft store. Doesn't matter what the size and he was only a couple of dollars.

• idie2live
    14 years ago

That paneling and the floors are really nice! My sister lives in an old farmhouse that is full of hand cut paneling. It is beautiful. But she thought it made the room dark, so her hubby painted a couple of rooms white. The change was amazing!
    I hope everything goes well for you and your new start.
    Loretta

• anicee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I check everyday to see that 'my' house is still on the market and I just found out they dropped the price 10,000$. The house is empty so I guess whoever is taking care of it would like to see it go before the winter.

I need to sell here but where we are it seems we have 3 months to sell our house in the Summer and if we don't, we have to wait until next Summer. Maybe a miracle will happen and a buyer will come early in the year.

Anicée

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

oh anicee good luck with selling your house. Im keeping my fingers crossed for you that it happens quickly. I dont envy you trying to sell in the current market it must be hard right now.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Anicee- We're all hoping you get your house sold and can buy this adorable home! What a great deal with the $10,000 drop in price.

I love your little cottage in the woods. It looks like the kind of house that should have a climbing rose by the front porch and an assortment of cheerful flowers under the windows. What a great place to live with your "family" and I know how you feel, since my "kids" are my horses and kitties :)

You probably need the storage by the kitchen door, but what a great place to put a bench with hooks above for coats, etc. My mom just downsized to a much smaller home and although she was dreading having to get rid of so many "treasures" she laughs now that she got rid of a lot of junk and managed to keep the "treasures" in the smaller space. She also says she can see everything she loves and use it, since there's no space to store it away for "later". My mom loves her new home and I'm sure you will too!

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

OH Anicee I do hope your house sells soon. We have bought houses late in the year before and even sold several at this time of year. Keeping good thoughts.We want to help you do up your lovely little cottage house. Get your statue buried. That is great the price has dropped 10K for you!!!

Chris

• emagineer
    14 years ago

Anicee,
    I listed my last house in Nov. Other than vacationers who drove me nuts, I had at least 3 people a week looking. Didn't realize until later that they were just hanging around to see what the area was like. In Jan. I finally got a bite and all was done. Remember, it only takes one. Winter may not seem the right time, but the number of houses available are down too. I'd think this would balance out your wanting to try to sell now rather than wait. Never know who needs to get into a house during this time of year too.

Have you considered a bridge loan? I know it is taking a chance, but could be a way to hang on to the darling home you've found.

• neesie
    14 years ago

Cute house, but I'm just curious: how many cats can you comfortably foster in such a small house? Aren't they territorial? And you might want to consider closing that open shelving in the kitchen!

• anicee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Trancegemini, Lavender, Chris, Emagineer: Thank you for your good thoughts and encouragement. Emagineer: No, I haven't considered a bridge loan and I won't. It would make me too nervous. Like you say it only takes one person and hopefully it will be soon.

Neesie: What I do for the SPCA is usually take a nursing mother (cat) with her kittens and house them and take care of them..socialize them, etc...until they are ready to go back to the SPCA for adoption. The SPCA is overwhelmed so I foster cats, this way they are with me in a very calm environment...no stress. I would use that outbuilding that is all insulated and has electricity. I would put a door at the back of this building and have an enclosure built so the cats could go outside in nice weather. I also take cats that need to take medications or have special needs because I have time for them and when they are better, I bring them back for them to have a chance of getting adopted. That building is a good size. I would just do a few modifications. I personally have 7 indoor cats only and have no problem with them. They all have been introduced slowly and all get along...no spraying, no fight. Here's some of my fan club!!! All rescued animals!

{{!gwi}}

Thanks again for your good words!

Anicée

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Anicee, how adoreable! What a wonderful thing to do. ((((((good wishes and good vibes coming your way)))))
    Your furbabies seem so content!
    Loretta

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Hi anicee, I haven't posted in your thread before but wanted to say you have darling 'babies'. Oh my goodness - they look so sweet all curled up together!
    I also wanted to add my good wishes on quickly selling your current home, so you can move on and start the next part of your life. Your potential home looks so attractive. I agree with the others that some paint and TLC will work wonders. I agree with you on the wood stove too - there are few things in life more comforting than the sound and smell of a fire crackling while you're curled up sipping tea - or your beverage of choice :o)

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

aww look at those darlings all snuggled up together. what a happy content looking bunch they are anicee. you do a wonderful thing with your fostering.

Is there anything you can do in the mean time to get ready for the downsize? Maybe you could start selling some extra pieces of furniture or clearing out some of the cupboards with things you wont be taking with you?

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Anicee, your fur babies are so cute! I love the way they are all curled up on the sofa together.

I hope you get a contract soon on your house soon so you can buy this place. It just sounds perfect for what you want to do. Kudos to you for helping out the cats and the SPCA.

• emagineer
    14 years ago

My heart aches for all the animals needing adoptions. You are doing such a wonderful service. And they all look like you are more than the norm in fostering. Happy, content guys.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Now that's a happy group :) Only a loving and talented "mom" can get them to all get along that well. Good luck with your sale!

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Anicee- Any word on the house? I hope you sell soon and have a Happy Holiday!

• anicee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lavender: The little house is still for sale but we have no action on ours. The market is dead around here at this time of year. Hopefully in the New Year a miracle will happen and all will go fast.
    Have a Happy Holiday too and thanks for asking!

Anicée

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Oh anicee every time I visit this thread I fall in love all over again with your house to be. Have to go back through all the pictures. It is such a great happy space. Still holding good thoughts for you.

Chris

• emagineer
    14 years ago

What a great picture of your "kids". And it does my heart good to know I'm not the only one with my friends on the couch. Like the pattern of the upholstery too.

Also, I'm delighted we are posting and sharing. This has been a fun thread...along with the others too.

• anicee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just wanted to let you know that this little house I had my heart and eyes on has sold. I just got the news this afternoon. I don't know why I should feel so sad about it. I tell myself "snap out of it" you'll find another one when this one here finally sells. This is a strange transition period I'm going through....everything is going so slow for me right now. I guess I need to cultivate patience.

I want to thank you all for your nice comments and good wishes.

Anicée

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry. it was just a darling little house. But hopefully there's an even better one waiting for you somewhere.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Anicee, I am so sorry it has sold before you could get it. We had that happen to us and in the end we ended up with a better house. Please stick around and share the houses you come across. Too bad you are so far away.Assuming that. There is a darling house next to us that has been for sale for over a year now. No one wants a two and one that needs updating a little.

Not trying to sell this house I am not advertising it just showing pictures I took for my friend. It is a solid little house on about half an acre.

Here is a link that might be useful: Darling Small house

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Anicee- So sorry to find out you lost the house, but I think you were so smart to NOT do a bridge loan. My mom was encouraged to do that and it's just too stressful. She finally sold her house and got her new one and is very happy. I'm sure yours will sell too and then you'll be free to find another very cute house on a little bit of land :)

Shades of idaho- Nice house, but is all that snow from last year? I'm in eastern Washington (half hour from Spokane) and we haven't had much snow yet, mostly rain, which is okay after last year! I think Anicee would love it out here in the northwest, but probably wants to stay in her area...which is where exactly, I'm sure it was posted earlier :)

Good luck with selling your house, Anicee, and have a happy holiday!

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Oh Yes I took most of those pictures last January. We had a pretty good snow year last.

You are not all that far from us then. We have a friend that comes this way almost monthly in the winter to snowmobile with my husband and his father.

Chris

• emagineer
    14 years ago

Anicee, the same happened to me and I still think of the little house of past. Keep telling myself there was something else to be, but haven't figured it out yet.

I'm really sorry it sold. Don't go way, keep posting as we are with you and something will happen for you when least expected. It is the least expected that takes patience, but we'll stick with you and travel together on this change in life.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Aw, I'm so sorry it sold before your current house did. :o( I hope that you can find a way to believe that it wasn't meant to be, and that you'll find something just as perfect when the time is right! I agree that bridge financing can be so scary!
    ~Missy

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

Im really sorry you missed that adorable little house anicee but prairie is right. There is a reason things turned out this way and when you sell your house and find the perfect little cottage it will all make sense :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Ah, Anicee, je suis tres desolee. I hope the new year brings you wonderful new joys and the perfect little place.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA