Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
show me your 'entrys'

Posted by tansunny (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 17:06

Actually, in a lot of smaller homes, the entrance and living room are all one in the same. :)

I have a ranch style home. When you walk in the front door, you are in the combined living room/dining room. We recently pulled up the carpet and we will have the wood floors re-finished in a couple of weeks. What we need to decide is what to do with the "entrance".

When you come in the door, directly to your right is a small coat closet. Then in front of you is the dining area and to your left is the living room. We have about a space that is about 80" wide by 52" deep to put flooring down. Depending on the flooring used, we may need to cut out some of the wood floor, unless we can just lay right on top of it. Currently there is a place where slate used to be that is about 52" by 52" and it just has subfloor.

So, what kind of material would you use for this tiny entryway? My dad suggested Duraceramic, which we are considering, but it has got mixed reviews and I'm not sure its my final choice. I went to a tile shop and now I am considering travertine. The good news is my Dad is a contractor, so we can get a lot of materials at cost. The bad news is if Dad is not willing to install, we have to pay someone labor. If Dad installs, he accepts payment in the form of a couple of home cooked meals. But Dad is not as young as he used to be and I think Dad is going based on what he thinks will be easiest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: show me your 'entrys'

whatever you use if you'll be cutting out a section of the wood flooring you'll need to be sure it isn't higher than the wood and if it's less then you'll have to put an underlayer to help even it out.

I'd go with tile.

o
RE: show me your 'entrys'

This is an old picture of mine. I actually have a separate entry, though small. It is L-shaped and I am standing on the side to take the photo. That is the front door on the right, the coat closet next to it, and the opening to the living room opposite the front door. I am standing in the L that goes to the den (fka the garage). The flooring is tile - we are on a cement slab. The living room is wood and there is a transition piece between the tile and wood to cover the height difference. There is carpet in the den and it just butts up to the tile.

Photobucket

If your house is like my mom's house, the "entry" is just a square of tile inside the door. When I grew up, there was no tile there, the whole thing was wood floor. She added ceramic tile a few years ago and I don't really care for it. I'm sure it is less worry than cleaning the wood after people come in with wet feet, but like steph said, the tile is higher than the wood and I swear I trip on it every time I'm there because the corner of it has to be crossed to walk from the bedrooms to the dining room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here