Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Buying Habits at a time of CONSTRUCTION

User
9 years ago

I have no problem shrinking my near and dear possessions at a time when our discretionary space is stripping to its skivvies
I know the neighborhood grocery is just down the street, and we have to spend our day doing something anyway, so why not stroll the grocery aisles with the other oldtimer retirees.

But not for my DH. His security and comfort is to have food available. Heaven help me but they had strawberry preserves on sale the other day 2 for 1 sale, you know, and we have a half jar of Smuckers Strawberry Preserves that has lasted us since early spring at least, so why commit to keeping safe two more GLASS BREAKABLE JARS.

That's my thinking just logical, IMHO.

Yet that is not so with my DH. At this time of upheaval, what he wants as security around him is food, and apparently in abundance. So to settle him down, let him be a happy remodel victim, and solve my packing up of canned food problem.

Gotta have that portable john, you know.

Yep, I have all the cans sitting on the framing of the sunporch. As soon as he gets through installing baseboards around the sun porch,which after two years of lumber on the floor is finally near completion, THEN, his reading chair and a lamp will go in the enclosed porch. The cans are already there. I don't give him an inch, push to get the job done in a timely fashion. And then of course, he has his room, his chair, his food, what more could a guy want....oh yeah, the fridge will be nearby plugged into the only remaining 3 prong outlet once they "break on through to the other side" ...But I'm beginning to enjoy it.

And guess what? I think it is because I've reconnected with the folks on the forum here. YOU are the ones I can talk to, and when I tell it to you, I can see the humor in it all, which is the reason I think I am beginning to enjoy waving the magic wand and I don't worry so much about the magic is a total wreck. It won't be. But you make it a lot easier to work through.

Comments (9)

• llucy
    9 years ago

That was cute - thanks for sharing. I have an aunt who seriously stockpiles canned and dry goods. Back in the '90's her son and I shared a house. Once/twice a year she would give him big cartons full of food when she visited. He'd be very exicited- until he unpacked the cartons after she left. And found half of what she gave away had expired dates going back 2 years.

I don't think she ever checked the dates. Just kept accumulating so much she ran out of storage space and started boxing things up. Then ran out of room in the garage for the boxes. Visit the kids? Why not give 'em some extra food! Lol.

I

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For a moment there, I was actually thinking of it being a permanent storage space. Not simply decorative. But, no, I haven't come this far to be overwhelmed by canned peaches.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

for God sake moc.. you are in temperate AL ...

put them on his workbench in the garage ...

buy him one of the things at the link.. and tell him.. you dont want to see his survival cans [and that is very questionable based on what it is.. lol .. most of it would destroy my digestive track ... lol] ....

really.. bagged bacon ... what a tragedy ...

tell him i lost a lot of respect for a dude to go with BAGGED FREAKIN BACON ... i am going to come down there.. and take away his man card ... can i borrow the gas money ????

your hosta friend ....

ken

ps:.. i cant get over it.. i could see a bag of jerky ... but BACON ... CRIKEY.. YOU GOT ME YELLING... HOW DO I SCREAM!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHH BAGGED BACON ... SHAME.. THE SHAME ...

PPS: i dont even know.. what he is thinking about doing with the alfredo ... but i suggest.. you not be in the house at the time.. maybe not even the state ... buy him a tarp or two ... it could be ugly ....

ppps: what am i doing in this forum???? lol

Here is a link that might be useful: i like the blue one... like my hosta ....

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

LOL I am cracking up over this. The only thing that worries me is if DH starts to hammer those base boards into place those cans and YES that bagged bacon is going to come down on his head from the vibration. I can see it now. Headline. wife tries to kill hubby with bagged bacon.

Just looking at the corner of your sun room is so nice. I would love to have one. Maybe some day.

Hope your remodel is coming along well. I was lucky when we did our kitchen I still had the pantry to store food stuff.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

so funny! it sure does show how little depth is needed to store some food tho!

I've been trying to buy up some - maybe enough canned goods for 6 months. I don't use a lot of canned goods normally.
    I have gotten a few pkg things (long term storage) to keep handy for if /when I can't get out for some reason (health, car dead, it's raining...). I tried maybe 2 of them and they're a bit spicy for me. I'll have to dilute them. But they'll come in handy if needed.

I found a number of cans of food that were outdated when I moved over here and went thru what was in the pantry. That's just the 'best if sold by date' on canned goods. I gave mine to my handyman - with a family, they'll use them up. They weren't much outdated - maybe a few months. I'm very careful now with what I buy - and how much. If they get close to the expire date, I'll give them to Jed.

glad we can help you out ML! Just remind dh about those wonderful meals you'll be able to whip up in that new kitchen - with that awesome stove!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, Ken, you found my other hiding spot!
    I've packed up as much as I can, MOVED/MANHANDLED as much as I can, and still there is a ton of stuff in the house. I'm thinking of an 8x8x8 PODS sitting in the driveway until this is over, with DH tied to the roof......AND the dogs in crates in the Teahouse.

You caught my thread about the final days of my hosta in the garden, I bet. Countdown to Dormancy? Anyway, we had a reprieve of 24 hours, so the freeze comes after last night's rain. The remodel crew showed up about 9am due to rain.

The time gets closer when they will break through into the rooms we are living in. I just want to have a clear path to the bathroom, with floor to walk on. And a door to close.
    Even the dogs are no longer distressed by all the hammers going, the air compressor and air nail gun, and the circular saw cutting sheets of plywood for the roof I imagine.....heck, I did not know we'd have THAT MUCH MORE ROOF. They are getting to the interesting part, the part where what I've designed (and the architect made possible) is revealed as truly POSSIBLE. And almost REAL.

EDIT....
    Your link to toolboxes is great, and I most admire the wooden ones like map drawers or big wooden chests. DH is more likely to hang them all on the wall. Tools, I mean. And the canned goods would be okay in his workshop until it gets 110 in the shade. And, I once had a boat engineer who would put his lunch on the engine manifold to heat up. He also draped his wet clothing across the manifolds to dry, forgot about them, and started a fire in the engine room.

Anyway, I think the bacon bits is for salad, when we are having the electrical down for overhauling. The two wire system is being converted to three wire, so we'll only have one set of plugs available as long as they have it live. Same goes for the plumbing, which must be rerouted and replaced, the gas service is already modernized but the copper line for the new gas range will not be run until the range sits center of attention in the new kitchen. And that is after the new hardwood floors go down. It is all a process and everything comes in its own season....since I've never done quite this extensive a remodel, or a new build, I'm trusting the contractor to keep me ahead of the game. I intuitively realize that an empty house is easier to work in.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 11:47

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

doesnt the bacon offset any value you might achieve.. from eating a salad... lol ...

ken

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ach, Ken, you make a valid point. The bacon is after all by Oscar Meyer, doesn't that count for something? And these days they say they are growing LEAN HAWGS.

Gone are the days when we ate cracklin bread, from the hogs my grandpa butchered after first hard frost. I eat plenty of greens, now that DH has discovered he can put in THREE CROPS a year instead of just one he began from seeds in his basement in the dead of winter. He plants his raised beds like a man possessed.

The canned goods are the small items I'm discussing to draw attention away from MY buying habits. For instance, my new Schlage door lock is on its way. My cabinet knobs and drawer pulls (samples) are in hand to show the cabinetmaker. He breaks out in hives when I mention IKEA, but at least the stainless drawer pulls are sourced from there. Look good to me. :)

It's cold outside even in south Alabama tonight. Keep warm up there in Michigan.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

That looks familiar. I've never understood why more people don't take advantage of the voids between wall studs.

My grandmother gardened and preserved for years longer than she needed to, just because a full cellar meant security. I, too, feel comforted by a full pantry.

Hi, ken, we once met in the shrubs forum. Bacon is the reward for eating salad.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus