Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Can't hide from it any longer...time to de-clutter!

lavender_lass
9 years ago

I've been "playing" at organizing and getting rid of my clutter. A little bit here, a little bit there...but now it's time to get serious.

We are going to be downsizing to a much smaller area (at least temporarily) and I HAVE to get my act together! LOL

My husband is just as bad, but I've decided I will do MY mess first. Maybe he will be inspired (he has gone through a few things already) but we both need to eliminate a good 1/4 to 1/3 of our stuff.

The good thing...we'll be left with what we really use and love, with a lot less junk. And easier to keep organized...and faster to clean.

Now, my biggest challenge...dishes! I do not have a lot of clothes or jewelry, but I do love my dishes. They're pretty, sparkly...a bit of crystal and silver with a collection of lovely china pieces. Where do I go first at Goodwill? Okay, first is furniture (my other passion) but I always end up in dishes!

I seem to be more sentimental about my dishes than almost anything else...that's how I remember my grandmother and other fond memories, more than pictures and mementos. Most of our memories revolve around baking, cooking, dining, cleaning...all involving a wide variety of dishes, pans, mixing bowls, etc. And I only keep the 'good stuff'...maybe I just need to invest in hutches and get rid of other things :)

What's your weakness? Any tips?

Comments (24)

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One thing that helped me to de-clutter the china cabinet is to stop thinking I am going to entertain. I know you have a large family. We do not and when we do have our one constant friend that comes once or twice a year we all eat in our recliners. SOOOOOOOOO I do not need all the entertaining plates and platters. BUT if you have them and love them then keep them and get rid of some thing else.

I am to the point I am pretty well done clearing out. I am sure to others minds I might still have too much For me everything is cleared and organized and not crammed into a space just because I have it. Moving from 1850 to 1200 many years ago made me really have to purge. Then moving one more time I was just over having stuff just to have stuff. It had to really be important to me.

I am hoping one of my nieces or nephews will come and take the old buffet and a tall desk I have with them when they leave. The buffet was their grandmothers and the desk has been mine since the 70's. It is really old and was appraised at about 900 the buffet was about 1200. so they are the only two pieces I own that are worth anything. I would like them gone but would like them to stay in the family. This would clear up some big space in our bedroom and make room to move the secretary in there and then I would paint it up pretty white.

I am feeling tired of having so much furniture here. I want more open space. I took one small dresser up to the loft and got rid of the trunk that was in the space I put the dresser. I moved away from home in that trunk. It was time for it to go. I am like you and your dishes. So many of my furniture pieces are precious to me.

If I ever enclose the front porch I could spread out there a bit but for now there are no plans to enclose the front porch.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

My Achilles heel is books. When I moved I gave away over 700 and still have a closet full. I'm buying bookcases and will not worry about getting rid of any more.

Tip: check out consignments stores for hutches (lol).

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris- We haven't entertained, but I think we will after the move. We'll be closer to friends and it will be fun to use some of this china! Glad you're finding such good homes for your cherished pieces :)

Finally- I know! It's the obvious solution (LOL) but I can't seem to find any nice ones. I need a hutch about 5' to 6' long with glass uppers and maybe another one with open shelves.

My mom loves books (she was a librarian) so we have her many bookcases, too. It's fun to grab a book and not have to go to the library!

• User
    9 years ago

Hehehehe. This is so cute. I too have gotten to the point I want some SPACE around my furniture. So tonight, I told DH that all I plan to have in the living room is a love seat and 2 chairs. I'm mounting two wall sconces and plan to hand pictures and "objects" on the walls in there. And, of course I can have room for tall container plants. No TV in the living room, it is for conversation and maybe a cocktail. One chest under the front window. A "coffee" table ....I learned up in MA that was really enough.

I almost tossed two old swivel rockers yesterday, on impulse, but DH would have seen me dragging them to the street. So I'll wait until NEXT trash day. Ahem.

Books? By the time we unbox the books DH saved from 50 years of teaching and such, and all of my pretty picture books, we'll have quite a lot of books finally accessible on shelves. There would be MORE, but we are both enjoying e-books.

I love towels and bed linens. I love nice fabrics. And white dishes and great knives and beautiful cookware. I don't go in for many kitchen gadgets like electric knives or egg poachers or boiled corn on cob holders, nor electric can openers. But oh my do I love my pots hanging and open shelves so I can see the dishes. I keep my countertops cleaned off though. My DH is the one with a yen to hoard canned food, and he'll be restricted by limiting the pantry space he can use. Already the freezer is packed, we stay current on the fresh foods in the fridge side.

I'm not ready to get rid of my cast iron pots and pans, I want to cook with my wok on the new gas range! It should be such fun. And learn to bake bread. I have too many electrical gadgets due to not having a range to cook on for about 6 years. Out they will go, the 2 burner hot plate, the rice cooker. I will have to leave on the counter my smoothie maker blender so I can get at it.

I've already thrown out a lot. But more to come. We'll have a real big yard sale as soon as I can sort through the boxes inside my Teahouse.....

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

I used to be a big book collector too. I turned them loose. I kept my favorite craft books a few crochet books and my gardening books and the book my aunt wrote. I do have over 1200 books on my kindle cloud though. I have not given up reading. I also down loaded over 100 audio books when I has a free month from the site to try it I spent a lot of time down loading books and put them on my external drive. Will see about burning a few to CD or DVD.

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

We went through the first big de-clutter last year, when we sold our house in FL. It's in the back of my mind that it wasn't enough, though. We really haven't decided exactly how we are going to furnish the new house, so we kept a lot of stuff so we will have options (that's our excuse, anyhow).

Much of our 'clutter' is antiques, so we'll do some selling once the decisions are made. We will eventually have a large great room in our barn, so we need things for that, too.

My weakness is 'guy stuff'- old tractors, motors, tools, etc., etc. I like my old iron, but it is very heavy, and there aren't many opportunities to display the stuff. I'm just old enough now (61) where I'm starting to think of closing out some of my hobbies. I have about 20 antique outboard motors, piled in corners. There aren't any active vintage boat clubs around here, so they'll probably just sit and gather dust. Once I get the house done, I'll probably sell all but a couple of them that I actually use. Same goes for my other guy stuff.

I'm really hoping that we can de-clutter the kitchen. We have so many dishes, most that don't match. I opened the cupboard one day, and counted 20 coffee mugs- for 2 people! Camping in our new house, with the bare minimums for day-to-day living, has been good training for us to de-clutter. We have two mugs, two plates, two sandwich plates, etc., and we haven't really been inconvenienced. I'd like to ditch ALL of our mismatched everyday dishes, and buy new matching (inexpensive) stuff. We can keep some overflow stored in the basement for the rare occasions when we entertain a crowd.

Over the years, we've stayed at a number of vacation rentals, and I'm always struck by the simplicity of having just what you need without all of the clutter. Why is that so hard to achieve at home?

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Mushcreek - Your last statement is so true. If you go to an extended stay hotel, the minimum amount of dishes and cookware is there and meets all your needs. Then you come home, open the cabinet and WTH.

Shades - I'm "old school" when it comes to reading. I still need that paper in my hands.

I moved out of my 4 bedroom house into a 2 bedroom apartment a few years ago and got rid of LOTS of stuff. Somebody would come over and I would offer them something to take home.

Well, I brought another house while only 2 bedrooms it is actually larger then the 4 bedroom. I'm trying my best not to buy new stuff without getting rid of old. However, I sometimes think "why not, you worked for it, buy what you want."

While have less stuff does take a load off your shoulders, if something gives me joy, I'm buying it. This is especially true of books.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

finallyhome, I think what made it easier for me to shed my book collection is the osteoarthritis in my hands. Turning a page is painful. Even holding a book in my hands is painful. I can rest my kindle on a pillow in a good position and just tap it to turn the page. I also just got tired of the loss of space all the books took up in our home. I know many people love and treasure books. There is nothing wrong with that. It just worked for me to let them go to some one else.

Hey I have a HUGE hoard of glass. It now takes up the book shelves the books were on. :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL! Glass, books, dishes, furniture...everyone has some things that they just don't want to lose. I think the key is to get rid of the things you don't really want/need anymore, to make room for the things you do.

There's something so wonderful about coming into a home with a collection that makes the home unique, but doesn't overwhelm it. If there's room to display it (or store it) then everything is easy to find and use.

For me, I just need to get to the point where I can pack up what I want to save and leave out what I really need. Then get rid of all the rest! :)

• User
    9 years ago

It seems to me what a lot of folks are doing is taking their "extra stuff" to eBay and selling it. If you have a spot to store it in the meantime, it could be a moneymaker. Some really auction items, or offer it for auction OR "buy it now."

I found 4 marine hatch latch rings that are flush on eBay, up in Canada. So I ordered them and got them last week. Heavy duty solid brass coated in chrome, and they will fit nicely on the lateral file drawers beneath the window seat, to pull open without injuring my ankles and legs with protruding knobs. Diabetics must be careful of injuring extremities.

But you get the idea. If I had the time I'd probably try it. However, I'm quite impatient and I usually give stuff away, or donate it to Goodwill or Habitat For Humanity.

Amazon also lets you sell books. Not sure how that works, but I am a constant buyer of ebooks for my Kindles, so reducing the number of printed volumes would help a lot. I wonder if my DH's old engineering and chemistry texts would be collector's items these days. He knew the man who produced the Steam Tables! Yeah, he is pretty old!

:)

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

Clutter was a nightmare for me to get rid of. It left a bitter taste in my mouth that will hopefully stay with me. I really had to be unemotional when I vigorously and meticulously purged. This is what I did: 1 box for donations, 1 for garbage and 1 for stuff I kept. The way I went about it was to keep most things by sets such as dinnerware, mugs, glasses, table linens, etc. Everything else had to go. Since you love your dishes, I suggest choosing the ones that you can't live without, get a hutch asap and organize them. You'll love looking at them when you're done. On the plus side, they'll be very handy for those get-togethers. Dump out other stuff that's not important for you. A rule I live by is if something new is bought, I MUST immediately throw out the item that it's replacing. This goes for shoes, pocket books, clothing, dishes, utensils, you name it. It really works for me. Good luck with decluttering.

• User
    9 years ago

Surya, you give good advice. Hope you come back to share your experience again. We also love pictures, hinthinthint...

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

I'm purging too. At my age I don't have the need for or want all this stuff to deal with. I am making a box for each kid. I'm also taking pics of things I'm keeping for an album so I can identify source of the item (ggm on dad's side, on mom's side, gm on their dad's side and on my side etc).

I've already given away most of my Christmas decorations/lites. no more lites or trees for me. I'm keeping those the kids made or I made for them.

I'm sorting out books too - always loved them. my old accounting/ bz law etc and fiction bks are going to GW, some of the kids bks to my younger gsons and possibly a few cook bks to my son#3 (who just told me that he wants to try to make a few things like a roast, crepes etc; so other than canned soup, eggs and frozen dinners - lol). yeah for him!

I gave away my ironstone dishes yrs ago and bought me a set of Corel for 4. The ironstone was getting too heavy for me. I unpacked another set for 4 of ironstone (not from either side of the family) and gave those to Jed for his cabin up north. I did keep the good china from one of my X's gmas.
    I've also given a lot of other things to Jed (my handyman). He can sell or use at his cabin.

I'm going thru all of my things - including my clothes, shoes, purses, jewelry!

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

Books are an issue for a lot of us. The core of my collection is reference books, many of which are out of print. I love to curl up on a rainy day and crack open a book or five of boat plans. I don't keep novels, since once I've read it, I don't have any need for it.

Donation can be a great way to get rid of stuff. I have a collection of brass musical instruments, and I recently donated two vintage horns to an old-timey band I play in. Not only were they thrilled to have them, but they are using them in concert! A trombone player with a PhD in music uses the 1912 trombone I donated, and is fascinated with it! At least it's going to good use.

Off topic- The band I play in is a reenactment of bands that were organized around 1900 by the textile mills in our area. We use mostly vintage instruments and play period music. Great fun!

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

I decluttered once. Regretted it. Replacing most of it. I have the space. If I want it and can afford it, I get it. My kids will have a great estate sale @ $1 a box off the hay rack! I never buy anything new if I can find it at the second hand store and the bonus is it's better made and will keep it's value better than anything new. One thing I am not replacing is my reference books. Everything is available on line and updated from my 35 year old books. I never read fiction a second time so I don't buy fiction. One thing I enjoy is all my mismatched plates and glasses. I just buy one plate but I might buy all the glasses if they're old. I'm partial to Homer Laughlin.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What is clutter? I think that's a topic that should be addressed and one we've touched on, in this post.

To me, clutter is having too many objects in a specific area. If it seems too busy or you realize a bunch of this stuff does NOTHING for you...it's clutter.

That being said, one person's 'clutter' is another person's collection. I think clutter is a very personal decision. If a person loves minimalist decor...they are not going to be happy in my house! But I wouldn't be happy in theirs. That being said, I bet it's beautiful and very striking.

I like some clutter. I like my 'stuff' around me and will probably allow it to spread, until it gets in the way of what I'm doing. But, I don't like 'messy' as opposed to 'comfortable' LOL I think the difference is about two square feet of coffee table space...but that's my definition :)

For others, their collection might inspire an episode of 'hoarding' but if they're happy (and can find the bathroom at night) more power to them!

Seriously, the idea of getting organized and being able to find something is very appealing. But, I would not want to lose the 'charm' that I think makes my house unique. My style is rather collected (which means Goodwill gives as much as it receives) but I do think people feel at ease in my home. And as long as I can find things when I need them...and make room for tea with a friend...I'm probably going to be happy with my space!

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

I try not to have more than three things if that on one surface. I used to have lots of collections of things sitting around. I purged them to my favorite pieces and put them in glass door cabinets. I enjoy them but do not have to dust them daily.

Clutter now makes me nervous. I am sure to some tree things on one surface is too much. And not every surface here has three things on it. Mentally thinking what is where here. I am not strict on this three thing rule. LOL But it seems to work out that way here.

Course for me most of the tops of my tables and dressers are covered in mosaic and I do not want to cover it up with things.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"To me, clutter is having too many objects in a specific area. If it seems too busy or you realize a bunch of this stuff does NOTHING for you...it's clutter.

That being said, one person's 'clutter' is another person's collection."

and this -

"the idea of getting organized and being able to find something is very appealing. But, I would not want to lose the 'charm' that I think makes my house unique. My style is rather collected (which means Goodwill gives as much as it receives) but I do think people feel at ease in my home."

I agree with both of these (and much else you posted).

I DO like knowing where things are - it just doesn't happen often here. I need to start posting me notes inside cabinet doors telling me WHERE!

I also like my stuff around me - I just have too much 'stuff' right now. piles here and there. But then, I only have 1 bookshelf here so far. No dressers, chests etc yet. Hopefully, that'll happen soon. Cause this stuff drives me nuts. (and I don't need anymore help getting there...)

I also get from the GW and take to it. I need a trip there soon. To take and pick up... they changed the road going there and I've not been brave enough to attempt it for many months. Soon I need to draw on my past (when I was braver with my driving) and just GO there! I seldom go more than a 13 mile area going north, east or west. haven't been south of me in many yrs (ok, there's a mtn back there! it's a long drive E or W to get around it!!)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

My clutter is evolving. I used to like small things, miniatures, and collections of many small objects. Maybe because the houses I lived in were small--maybe because my children were small, and the little things were easier to keep out of reach.

Now I prefer a few larger items displayed together. Oh, a lot of folks would still consider my place cluttered, but I'm moving farther way from the layers of 'what-nots' collected by my grandmother and mother.

Last week-end I had my daughters go through their father's collection of vintage science fiction paperbacks. He kept them to re-read, but I've read most of them only once, and none since he passed away. The girls picked out their favorites, chose some for my son, and donated the remainder to a community holiday auction. But all of the books are out of MY space.

Yesterday, I decluttered and consolidated some of the things that I still can't jettison. This afternoon I plan to give everything a good vacuuming--banishing dust bunnies will be my reward for letting go.

• User
    9 years ago

Mama, I can appreciate the problem of letting go of the personal items identified with your departed DH. It is the same issue I have giving up things which belonged to my son. I still have the bottle of Brut after shave. Opening it, the scent hits me like a hammer, because the scent is so much a part of a person's presence. They say shoes hold the memory of a person the longest because of scent. It's been 19 years since he died on Oct 27, 1995. I still think of him every day.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ML- You're going to make me cry...you and MamaGoose have had such tragedy. I think of that, when I start feeling sorry for myself. You are both such strong women and move forward, no matter what.

I'm lucky to know you and want to thank you both for being such positive role models. I know we've never met, but I have thought of you each at different times...telling myself to get up and keep going.

I think you've each given me a good swift kick in the rear....without even knowing it. I thought you should know :)

• phoggie
    9 years ago

Just popping in to say "hi" to some special people....and saw this post. As you know, my husband died and I was left with a 4090 sf house....too big for me to take care of and in a city I did not like, so I sold that house, had a 3 day "living estate" sale...just had to keep telling myself, "It is just 'stuff' "....and I did not want to pack it, move it, store it, and move it again.

While I was sorting...donate, sale, trash, or move, I told my children if there was anything they wanted to just take it...they "reluctantly" took a couple of
    dishes that belonged to my mother, but no one wanted my china or silver (young people do not use that anymore), nor do I use it either, so it was put in the "sell" pile...didn't sell either, so it went to GoodWill. The things I refused to get rid of was rings...mom's wedding ring, birthstone, my rings from my first husband, etc...and they do not take up space, but those are the things I can not part with.

After my house sold, I moved "back home" and built my present 1628 sf house, which I have vowed not to clutter again. It is a "free" feeling, so much
    easier to keep clean, and I love it. You might think it lacks character, but I warm it up with pillows, throws, pictures, plants, etc.

LL...do you have a garage, or some type of storage that you can put things in
    totes to keep until you find your "forever home"? I hope your husband continues to improve and things have started to look better in your life. Hugs!

• msjay2u
    9 years ago

I have to say decluttering is not all its cracked up to be. I went through a big one recently. Now I must admit... it felt so liberating... but there was a catch to that liberation. See, I was in the process of getting rid of a lot of things when one day I got a flyer on my door stating that a charity would be coming by and if I would like to donate then all I have to do is leave my bag on the front lawn clearly marked and they would pick it up. WHAT? someone is coming to get my junk? YES!! I had a week. and silly them for thinking it would only be ONE bag. They asked for it they are going to get it!! I thought this was soooo wonderful so I got busy.
    On the day of pick up I spread a large tarp in my yard and filled it with bags and bags of everything under the sun; from clothes to DVD's and VCR tapes, to books to old pots, pans and knives to furniture to whatever. I went through every room and purged and then went through them and purged again.
    On the day of pick up they left a few things behind that they decided they did not want either and I just put a "free" sign on it and it was gone by the end of the day. OMG you can never imagine how great this felt. I danced through the house in my new spaces.
    The elation did not last long though because while I love the way it made my house look so much neater there was a huge problem. NOW I CAN'T FIND JACK IN HERE. Say what you want but when you live in a lot of clutter there is a method to the madness and you know where everything is. For example... I moved my uniform shirts into a pocketbook rack in my closet. I thought this will be neat to have everything right here in one place. Made sense at the time. Next week I could not find them because I forgot where their new place was. It took me over three weeks and after ordering new shirts to find them. Oh yeah and not to mention that when I can't find something I assume I gave it way by accident. Like my uniform shirts, a pair of new shoes I still had in stretchers, and other stuff. COme to find out later I had them, I just couldn't find them. I damn near got in my car and drove to the charity place 4 hours away to see if they would let me go through my bags to find all my missing stuff. LOL.
    Okay so now to what to do about the dishes. I gave away things I wanted to hold on to for dear life as well. What I wound up doing is calling my daughter and nieces and gave them the story about the responsibility of being keepers of certain things in the family and I told them how important it was to preserve this stuff and NEVER give away. My nieces took the holiday serving platters and a few other things they really needed in their kitchen. Years ago I gave my son a whole china cabinet and it was full of dishes. It made him feel important and he thought it was impressive to be in his 20s and have a china cabinet already full of good china. I doled it all out like that and being that they know I am the family "stuff" keeper they felt it an honor to keep it for the family.
    Welp I hope that helped just a little bit, if nothing else but to give you a smile.

• shelayne
    9 years ago

*Shelayne quietly tip-toeing away, hoping no one sees her, because if you don't see it, you won't have to do anything about it* ;)