Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjacker

Small end table ideas, please

cjacker
12 years ago

I have a loveseat and ottoman in a small area of it's own. We have enough room to walk around each side, but that's about it. I'd like to have something on each side just to be able to sit a coffee or drink cup on while sitting there. Any ideas would really be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (16)

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Here's a very small one, do you prefer wood or metal?

Here is a link that might be useful: small end table

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

I had the same problem here. This is an old paper spool from a drugstore. The bottom is the same as the top sort of. I just slid it under front edge of love seat. I know you are not going to come across an old spool. It is just the idea. I know they make these kind of tables.

The picture is of my Hoosier but you can see the little round table at the love seat. Since it is already taken. I am being lazy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tucked in table.

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

These are handy little tables. The bottom can slide just underneath the furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.wayfair.com/Wildon-Home-Tray-Top-End-Table-in-Brown-and-Burnished-Copper-011391-CST7278.html?refid=GPA49-CST7278&gclid=CIaOkPOAsKwCFQJ8hwodDjMtIg

• User
    12 years ago

Well, you can get some tall wooden shaker style plant stands.
    I have about 4 of them.
    We have just about no wall space left on either side of our bed in the Cape, so I have these 12 x 12 x 30 tall plant stands which I got from the unfinished furniture store.
    They are AWESOME. This product also has a shelf beneath it.
    And, you can also get it in the 24 inch height, also 12 x 12.

I have swing-arm lamps attached to the wall on either side, so there is no need to set a lamp on it, thus no danger of knocking it over. And I don't use an alarm clock, just my cell phone chimes when I have it set. But we can set our books on the bottom shelf, our reading glasses on top, and maybe a glass of water whatever.

Consider the lamp stands. And I'd sure check out the unfinished furniture places because the cost is low, the quality is pretty good (all solid wood), and you can finish it to match whatever you like.

Oh yes. I have some that are about 18 x 18 x 24 tall which have a drawer, then a removable shelf, and I use those in the living room as end tables but there is space enough for a heavy lamp to sit on them. Also unfinished.

In Mobile, the unfinished wood furniture is a feature of our local Ace Hardware store. And, the items I have lived through Hurricane Katrina, slightly damaged, but salvageable and they are still going strong six years later.
    Quite a bargain.

• camlan
    12 years ago

Ditto to the plant stands. Also check out telephone tables, as they are usually the right height and not very big.

I have an old piano stool, the kind that has a screw to raise the seat up and down, that is between two chairs. It's about 14 inches across, just big enough for a book and a cup of tea.

• cjacker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much to each of you for the links and good ideas (which I hadn't thought of). I'm sure I can come up with something with all these ideas.

• User
    12 years ago

Camlan, great idea about the piano stool. I love objects which have been "repurposed," but function well either way.

And if you find a metal plant stand with a top just right for your purposes, you can always put a nice house plant on the bottom shelf down out of the way, provided it has adequate light.

• lavendrfem
    12 years ago

I, too, have a very small living room. This is what I use for an end table on one side. It's a tole-painted tray and a plant stand.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

lavendrfem that is a darling little table you have created. I have a stuffed kitty on my couch that looks just like yours. LOL They seem to love the squishy cushions and a window to peer out of.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

oldgardener_2009 I was following this post and, due to you, I have another Xmas gift off my list. I purchased it for my daughter-in-law who sits on the couch holding a saucer and cup of tea. She'll really appreciate it. Thanks

• User
    12 years ago

Old Gardener, I have an iron table like the one you linked to. And I'd use it in my bedroom except our bed is a platform storage bed, and I cannot slide anything under it. I also like the hospital bed serving tables on wheels. I really am fond of things on wheels these days.

I have a lot of photos on my camera which I cannot upload or even get off the camera, because I don't have the cable that will let me connect to my computer. Now where did I put that cable!!!!

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

ML check your computer. Mine has a little slot on the side you poke your SD card into. No cable needed. And if you do not find your cable you can buy small USB card readers.

I love my little hospital table. I use it all over the house when a little extra table space is needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hospital tray

• lavendrfem
    12 years ago

Shades of Idaho - no kidding? My daughter calls him Boris because of his size...lol. that's his favorite spot. He does love to nap and look out the window there.

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

How about a ceramic Chinese-style garden stool? It can serve as extra seating or a footrest, too. But it might not be tall enough depending on the design of your love seat.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Love the idea of one of those ceramic stools.

Boris. LOL Cute name. Our bug guy is Unk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black couch Cat

• lavendrfem
    12 years ago

Shades of Idaho - awwww how cute he is!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!