Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Barn/garden shed/cottage photo

schoolhouse_gw
12 years ago

It depends upon my mood what I call it. :) I'm using this photo for my Thanksgiving card this year. It's just so simple that I like it.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I like it too. Perfect for Thanksgiving. And thank you! You've just given me an idea for a Christmas card photo.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Please share, marti!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I will, if I can pull it all together. I need some candles and a rustic table though, and I have neither. Candles will be easy, but I need to find a table.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Looks so welcoming.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Schoolhouse- It looks wonderful! You've really done a lot of work and it shows. What a nice idea for a card :)

• User
    12 years ago

Fantastic atmosphere in your "garden cottage"....yeah, it is losing its shed persona and acquiring a more genteel feel.

Marti, I have every faith in your ability to come up with an old table. If all else fails, how about that blank window in your new General Store? I've been imagining a scene visible through that window, and your window would form the perfect frame to your picture, what with the old wood, Maybe just a shelf inside the window, with your candlestick on it, the dark background, a sprig or two of holly, an orange (which was a big treat in old western days, more so than apples)....but you have a great feel for the old west......so just GO FOR IT.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

LOL, ML, that window is a fake.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. Takes like minds to appreciate it. ;)

I forget about oranges. They definitely would make a nice Christmas arrangement. I think for Christmas I'm going to hang a garland of pine cones around the windows. For years I had such a garland that I made myself from cones gathered along the property line. Sometimes I used it in the library, lately I haven't and in fact during the most recent purge I think I pitched it. Sure hope I decided to stash it in one of the plastic bins in the garage instead.

Marti, maybe ask neighbors or family members for an old table. They might have one they want to just get rid of.

• rafor
    12 years ago

How pretty!! It's such a serene vignette. Calms the soul :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going on an adventure this evening. See the chandelier in the photo? It has battery-operated, flickering flame candles in it. And in the garage I found a small square metal lantern with four glass sides and a glass door you open to set a votive size candle in. At a thrift store the other day I found a little two tiered metal shelf which I hung in the barn. I put the lantern on there awhile ago. Yes, I lit the candle - very carefully, you can be sure and I kept an eye on it. Well, I've decided I can't wait until it's dark to enjoy this little vignette (thanks rafor!)of chandelier in the window and lantern on the wall.

As soon as my bowl of chili is heated, I'm going to picnic down there at the table and wait for it to get dark. Am I eccentric or what? It is so balmy this evening, was raining awhile ago, so it's the perfect time to try it. Oh, and I did blow out the candle in the lantern before I came up to type this.
    If only I could take photos at night with my camera, you know I would share it all with you guys.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I waited until it was dark inside the building at least; but I got cold and had to come back to the house. Plus there were too many little scurrying things and strange noises! Once before it got dark, I glanced up to the rafter not too far from my head and saw a tiny face peering at me - only a second or two - then it disappeared. I think it was a field mouse from the flash of white throat.

So, my first candlelight meal in the "cottage" was a bowl of chili and some chocolate covered cherries. Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

LOL Poor little mousie just wanted to share your meal. Leave a bean on the table and see if it leaves by morning.

Your little getaway area sounds so fun.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I see mice every so often in our shed too. I hadn't thought of it until I read your post, and now I wonder how we're going to get rid of them - I just put a collar with a bell on the cat!

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

put a collar w/bell on the mice?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very cute desertsteph. Next summer I intend to clean out the loft and lay plywood down over the rafters. Not only will it look neater but I can safely store items better up there. OR - a bed???? I'd better not get my imagination running again. Anyhow, perhaps the mice will be inclined to stay away or at least hidden; I doubt they would be able to be kept out all together. I noticed the other day two small holes in the metal roof, it was raining but no water was dripping; but I need to fix that. Next summer I also plan on having the metal roof of the house coated again, then if it doesn't cost too much extra I'll have them put some on the barn roof too. Not sure how they will patch those holes.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

LOL Steph.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Went down to check on something, and part of the floor is wet - not soaking wet - but damp. Same thing with one of the rafters. Uh-oh. I stood looking up at the roof (from inside) for any falling drops of water but didn't see any. I'm wondering if it isn't those two very small holes near but not at the very peak. It's also very windy and raining today, so I suppose it could be blowing in through cracks.

• User
    12 years ago

It's an interesting job to find a leak. On boats, we always started at the lowest point, let water run there, and looked.
    Then we went higher up. It is usually showing up low, but coming in much higher up and running down. Not easy to find some leaks.

A building as old as your little getaway is bound to have a few problems. Like mice and a few small holes in the roof. Perhaps it is a hole made by a rusted nail. Before it gets too cold, perhaps you can ask a roofing expert just how you might patch it temporarily for the winter season.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I can see the two holes I mentioned quite clearly; but like you say there could be some nail holes. I'll have to wait until after the holidays to save up more $$ for a roof repair. You know what happens, tiny hole leads to 25 other things that need fixed. But come to think of it, if I was brave enough to climb a ladder and out onto the edge of the roof, a black caulk might be a good temp.fix. But then again, I do want to be around for Christmas. :)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

schoolhouse, after getting on the roof to put up my Christmas lights, I totally agree. I kept thinking what a lousy Christmas it would be if I fell off and killed myself. Never again. I don't care what it costs next year, someone else is doing it.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha. I'll take your advice!