Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrose_tx

Yikes, the cost of remodeling!!

ogrose_tx
12 years ago

Our little 1500 sf home is 40 years old, paid for for awhile now, and it's falling apart!!

By the time we get through having this done by outside contractor, we will pay more than we paid for the house, and this is nothing extensive, mainly fixing cracks, painting rooms, etc. Both bathrooms are being totally torn out and replaced, and in the kitchen the cabinets need to be upgraded.

My DH has always done all the work on the house, painting, tiling, upgrading, building a pantry, another closet, garden shed, etc. but can no longer do it; wow, I guess I took all that free labor for granted! Going with cheaper labor didn't work, I'm married to Mr. picky picky perfectionist and he has an absolute fit if it's not done right, lol!

Fortunately we have found a father/son duo who were taught by Grandpa, and their work is great, and when they get done we're going to have a very spiffy comfortable cottage!

Comments (16)

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Oh How exciting. I am so sorry it will cost so much for the labor. I am like you and HD has always done our labor. Fortunately our house is fairly new. Hope it out lives us.

Don;t forget to take lots of pictures. WE always want to see every nail and splinter. REALLY!!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Scary isn't it? I'm like you with a dh who knows how to do the work and so is very picky when it comes to others doing it. The good part about that is that they can't slough off poor workmanship on you.

• User
    12 years ago

OGRose, we are also in the same boat you are. My DH is so totally exhausted with this latest project (been working on his bathroom since May), and I've barred him from tackling any other big projects. He (and me too) are getting too old and tired to do what we once could. BUT, he is also a nitpicking perfectionist, who does not want to let anyone else touch things.

We also found a contractor, in Mobile, who DH likes and trusts, and we've used him for two projects so far. The one we had scheduled for this winter is being postponed until next winter, which will give me enough time for getting the extensive design changes down pat. Then, we will not have anything to do at the end except for the painting. I do not let DH paint. He paints hinges and all, and I'm a stickler for keeping those pristine.....and I really like the painting part.

If you have your existing floor plan drawn out, post it; then post the remodeled version of it. We dote on houses, you know. And it is great having a new one to dream over.

If you have been here before, I missed it, so I am pleased to make your acquaintance. Remodeling might look costly, but it is actually the best route these days. Good luck.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

"And it is great having a new one to dream over. "

yep. especially since mine seems to be at a stand still...it costs too much $s! lol! like ya'll didn't know that... and I sure can't do what I used to be able to do either. I'm exhausted just working up the courage to spend the money for a few floors and the electrician to do a few things (bathroom fan, balance ceiling fan, move a light switch and the thermostat, hook up dw). I'm just hoping he can get it all done in - maybe 3 hrs? lol! (ok, that won't happen)

welcome to the SH forum!

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, y'all!! We are 70 and 71, I retired in March to stay home with my dh who has cancer that has gone to his bones, he really can't do much of anything more in the remodeling of the house. He was an electrical contractor for years, and, after raising and educating our two sons, we said let's just spend it all! We want a comfortable house, the kids make much more income than we do and certainly do a good job of spending everything, lol!

The first thing we did was upgrade the windows, this has made a huge difference! remember, these were houses of the early 70's, nothing was very fancy, and we were all poor and struggling, but wow, it was fun!!

We're not fancy, never were, and next summer I plan to have a 40th birthday party for our little neighborhood, there's just a few of us left, our kids grew up together, we're all grandparents, and this way we can meet our newer neighbors!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm usually on the Garden Forum, especially antique roses; we have quite a large backyard, which is an unknown in today's subdivisions.

• User
    12 years ago

Aha, now I know what OGRose stands for.....old garden....and we have a similar name, OldGardener, who also frequents our hallowed halls. So, now we know more about you. You are in good company, OGRose, LavenderLass and others such as myself also pass some time on the garden side as well. I am in love with HOSTAS right now, plus ferns and Alabama Gardening (which is not as peopled as it once was).

But these days, Smaller Homes is my comfort zone, which I find like my online neighbors. I and the gang always have room for one more, you know. So sit a spell.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear of your dh's diagnosis. I didn't make the connection to old garden rose. I like that. Yes, always room for more here. Welcome!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Ogrose-So good to see you on this forum! I hope you post your plans, too. It's so much fun to see the progress on someone's remodeling project :)

I remember you said your DH was having some trouble, but I'm so glad you can be home now, to spend more time together. I hope you'll post some pictures of your gardens, too. You have a beautiful yard!

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, y'all! You've been so supportive, and I do appreciate this so much! We just got a new computer, my DH has downloaded a lot of stuff including the stuff off my new camera that he bought me last year. As soon as I can, will post pictures.

We're not changing much or really changing the footprint, we're happy with what we have, just upgrading and cleaning up, but I think we're going to be very happy with what we've got!!

Will keep you updated...!

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

"Smaller Homes is my comfort zone, which I find like my online neighbors.'

same here!

would love to see your gardens - and your redo before and after! Now that you aren't working it'll be easy to redo things. It's hard enough to just keep above the dust layers when you're working out of the home also!

Have fun doing the planning with your dh. Sometimes it doesn't take major work to make a big difference in a room.

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, my goodness, the more I see of Robert and Jr., the more I like them and their work. They're not the fastest, they're expensive, but do they ever pay attention to the details! They usually work a half day day here, will pick up stuff for us, if they need a day off they take it, and we're fine with that. I've worked with too many contractors that are always in a hurry to finish it up and be onto the next job, money, money, money! Robert's mother in law just got out of the hospital in East Texas, they will take next Wednesday off to cook, then take it to MIL's and serve dinner for Thanksgiving. Hey, what could be more important than family?

I am so proud to live in Texas!!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I didn't know you were in TX. Me too! DFW area.

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in Carrollton.

• User
    12 years ago

While I never LIVED in Texas, I worked down there during my years as a boat captain. Aransas Pass, Ingleside, Port O'Connor, Freeport, Galveston, Sabine Pass....and I absolutely LOVEED Port O!

One particular time driving home to Alabama, I was on Hwy 35, and in Palacios I saw the most unusual si1ght ever. A tiny little trailer was hidden in the dense shade created by an arbor covering the whole thing, with room for a shaded patio as well. The plant was KUDZU. I almost died laughing, because it was the first and only time I ever saw a GOOD use of that invasive plant!!! And I'll never forget it. Only in Texas. Where shade is precious when you find it.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I didn't know the kudzu had reached Texas. Not up here yet that I know of.

ogrose, I'm a bit south of Dallas.

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

ogrose: sorry about your husband.

Best of Luck with your renovation. If you like the work they are doing you ARE WAY AHEAD. Have you ever read those horror stories about GC's ?
    We hired a friend from Guyana(Des) who has been working since the age of 14. He does molding,builds out windows, electrical, plumbing, cabinet install. I did hire a licensed electrician(also part of Guyanese network) to change out the fuse box. We have saved a ton of money handling the job ourselves. Fortunately DH carried up all materials to 2nd fl(he's a cement/concrete worker so he's used to heavy items) You do need to supervise everything...I took a nap on New Year's and the bathroom tile had to be ripped up immediately b/c he didn't see the hex pattern(was preoccupied b/c his "baby" Pathfinder was in the shop LOL now. I got blamed by my sweetheart, no fun on New Year's Eve. BIG FIGHT. then I let Des have it, WTF, looks like a drunk person did that, I could have done it better if I had been drinking...You see how stress is transferred down the line..
    HE'S SLOW too(he tells me "if you want it done right you can't rush it man !" but I just keep repeating, keep repeating, keep repeating : my friend's GC quoted 45K for the kitchen only and we are getting a new apt for around 35K(I'm afraid to add up receipts). The bonus is both of us can curse him out and there are no hard feelings. I almost lost it when I didn't have a shower/bath for weeks on end or toilet for more then a week. Since I live in a city borough I walked to my neighbor's lotto/smoke shop and used his back toilet(thank you Yash)
    I told Des once this is over we can go back to barbecues & drinks at his house. I could never get through this(since we are living here) in such tight quarters with a stranger...especially the way some of those GC's talk down to woman. As soon as I put on my Red Wing workboots
    Des knows I mean business(he suggested I change out of the slippers...)When I get tired of it I yell at both "himself" and Des that this is what I get for hiring immigrants !! (I am joking) I live in the most diverse county in the world, that's why I love it.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert