Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is your sq footage? how many people/pets?

Posted by caligal (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 13:40

I really want another dog, but the hubby says our house is too small. Our house is 970 sq ft and there are 3 of us plus we have a Golden Ret. and a cat.

I want a medium sized dog, I would rescue/adopt for sure, but I need total family agreement first. I would really like to hear from those who have pets in their small home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is your sq footage? how many people/pets?

Essentially, your square footage is like ours. We expanded a little, so our cottage in Mobile is now 1000 sq feet. There are two of us, older adults, and we have two small dogs (a girl dachshund and a boy maltese) plus two medium sized parrots in fairly large cages, which take up a good bit of space and require continuous care.

We once had two cats as well, but they resented each other and would not share a litter box. So when our daughter needed a cat, we sent the best mouser to her. Then we suspect that the grumpy neighbor did in the second cat, after complaining that it left footprints on his car hood.

I can sympathize with your wish to have another dog, and you are right to hold off until the entire family agrees to it. A dog deserves to have a lifetime home, in exchange for his/her faithful devotion to the family. My animals are not at all disposable, we are in it for a lifetime too. Even if it gets to be inconvenient, but not if I can no longer care for them. My parrots are in my will, and their continuing welfare in a knowledgeable home is my responsibility to ensure. There is a saying, "What we tame, we are forever responsible." Cannot recall who said it, but I believe it.

o

I'm in 700 plus a bit sq ft now - just me and 1 dog. In her younger/better days she weighed about 60 lbs. just a medium sized heeler/retrvr. It's crowded with the 2 of us. I do have a lot of boxes/bins stacked up waiting for the MOVE (really for me to finish painting the shelves in the new place).

I'm moving to about double that and will have both inside. puppy will be outside a lot tho. but i want space enough to separate them if needed and for them to be able to move around easily.

o

1100 sq ft. Myself and my husband and maybe our 17 year old but she swears by the time we finish remodeling and move in she'll be living in Paris. Or New York. Or SanFran. Somewhere, anywhere else, lol. We have one big ol' hairy husky/choc. lab mix and I can't imagine another dog in a house of that size. Although, I would love to have a little lap dog that doesn't shed....

o

We are in 1800 sq ft and I want to adopt two medium sized dogs. But we are tiling the floors first and then next year house and yard will be ready. We just bought the house last year.

o

LOL We live in about 1375 SQ FT. Two rooms are always closed off. My glass studio and the sewing room. This takes the living area SQ FT down to about. 1120 SQ FT Rounding it all off.

We have two rambunctious Border Collies and two BIG Cats. Two older adults. House mantra is "GET OUT OF THE WAY!" Then we laugh. I was cooking last night and suddenly I realized there was WAY more bodies in the kitchen than belonged. Mentioned it with out looking up or around. Husband cracking up. All FOUR of them , that would be the critters, were waiting for fall out around me.

I have to close the animals out of our bedroom to be able to use the master bath. They want to help, see, annoy, whatever. They just want to always be close.

We had only one dog for years and got a second one just before the old timer passed away. then a few years went by again with just the one and we decided to get the second. We have found having two is a lot more work. They play off each other and wind each other up. You have to stay on top of them to keep them from taking over. There are in the house rules for the dogs. Then being herd dogs the one constantly herds the cats around.

We love them dearly and would not consider getting rid of them. Having two makes it nice when we go to town we do not feel so bad leaving just one dog home alone. With the two of them they seem to keep each other company. When we had just the one we always took him everywhere and that was hard in the summer heat. Lots of times one of us had to stay at the car with him or park where I could walk him around while DH shopped then he walked him while I shopped.

I do believe a second dog being smaller would really be great. I wanted that here too but when I had it all set up to take on a rescue DH said NO he wanted another border collie.

o

500 sq/ft Apt. 2 adults(slim build fortunately) and 1 long/large cat. Anything larger will be a treat.

deedles: maybe your daughter wants to rent my apt. in NYC...LOL bring $$$$ NY is the most expensive city.
I lived here for years with roommates and depending on the roommate it could be a tight fit or plenty big.
As my sweetheart says: "you don't know how big the bedroom is when you close your eyes" his own quote and"small rooms discipline the mind" I think from Yeats

As the great Quentin Crisp was known to say:"I like living in one room and have never known what people do with the room they are not in."
― Quentin Crisp, Resident Alien: The New York Diaries
How True.

o

just under 1740 sqft, 2 adults...nowhere for kids to play in the future :(

o

We have 1100 sf with just the two of us and two cats. Plenty of room for all. A small dog would probably be ok to add to the mix here.

o

I am new here to this forum but not GW. I know of Mama_goose's awesome kitchen from the HD and Kitchens forums.

We have 1150 square feet, also 2 adults and 2 cats.

o

2,000 square feet (we barely qualify for the forum), 2 adults, 2 dogs and 1 cat. The dogs are medium size and are outside a great deal of the time.

o

Jakabedy says, "2,000 square feet (we barely qualify for the forum),".......

Yeah, Jakabedy, like we are going to turn you away? hehehehe
Your philosophy is in the right place. :)

o

My main floor is around 1700 sq feet. THen 2 beds and 1 bath on second floor. Just me here and my little cairn terrier. I feel cramped in this amount of space. I guess that's because I never got upstairs to the bedrooms.

o

wow, lots of variation and comfort levels with amount of bodies/pets. I am probably going to hold off on another dog for now. Maybe when that boy of ours (13) leaves the nest we will get another, but who knows when that will be.

eatrealfood, love the little sayings, especially the one about closing your eyes and you don't know the bedroom size.

o

Hi caligal
Yes, many variations is sq footage.
I read miss minimalist's website, keeps me sane. Cat on lap...can't type
My sweetheart always says the apt. is plenty big....for him and the cat that is !
Cat on lap...can't type.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's link

o

988 sq ft, I just say 1000. I live alone, no pets. I have a full basement that's also 988 sq ft though I use as a party room. House is small for single family but it's fine for just me. I also have about 400 sq ft in the attic should I ever finish it.. but that's another project for another year (decade?)

o

We have 1500 Sq. Ft. with soon to be 4 adults and 2 medium sized dogs. DS#2 will be graduating college and coming back home in 3 weeks!!! Sons are both early 20s. I orginally had a lab & then went to medium sized Springers so I could get two!! We've all lived here with only 1 bath and have never felt cramped. Guess I don't know how the rest of the world lives. Two dogs are fun, don't know if DH would ever go for it again.

o

I don't have any pets right now but I would like to get a cat soon. I live in 780 sq/ft. I lived in a little larger house of 980 sq/ft. and that felt small, even though I live alone, then I bought this house and I am still trying to get used to the small space, I think about 1,000 sq/ft. for me would be ideal - I don't need much space but I am thinking of friends and family and it feels cramped even with just a couple people over. But, I do have enough space for me and a cat-even though I will have a hard time finding a spot for a litter box in my little house.

o

1500 sq ft. - usually 3 adults (kids are 19 and 20), 1 retired labrador and 1 geriatric cat (19 yr old). I may close off the upstairs (about 400 sq ft.) once it's just me and the pets.

o

Newbie here....we're two adults and a Yorkie who sees herself as an elephant in 1250 sq ft - 2br/1ba.

Our problem is we have one full time office (mine) and the need for a designer's office (think drafting table + big computer + desk). We're about to expand another 250 sq ft to get a small bedroom and second bathroom. It will be such a relief.

No more pets for us though, this one is enough!

o

Ahhhh, 1929Spanish, you will wind up with a nice sized pad there. Probably an ideal size for two adults working at home, especially if you have a second bathroom. Having the bathroom located so it would be available for maybe some clients but not give them access to your private spaces. I found such a feature/solution in one of Sarah Susanka's books. I think it was in her personal home, as a matter of fact.

And Katmu, it is a perfect way to downsize if you can just close off the upstairs of your house. It is also a thought to maybe create a separate entrance so the upper floor could be income property. (I watch that show on HGTV, and they can always do something with some sad spaces.)

o

We have about 1500 square feet, and have had 3 adults, two largish dogs, and 2 cats at the same time. It never seemed crowded to me, although everyone, including pets invariably wound up in our smallest bedroom, which we use as a den with the TV. Now, it's just two adults and 1 cat :(.

o

eatrealfood, have you read miss minimalist's book?

flgargoyle, we all end up piled on our very small L shaped sectional.
why is that?

katrina, ya, parties can be challenging. I think 7 visitors is my max for a dinner. We can never have a birthday party here with all my husband's side of the family. He has 5 brothers and 5 sisters. Son has 26 cousins on that side of the family! We have looked at 2000 sq ft homes because we thought we needed more space for entertaining. Then realized.... we don't really like to entertain large groups. Too stressful!

o

We are two "senior" adults and two Afghan Hounds. Our main floor is 1500 square feet (3 bed/2ba, LR, eat-in kitchen). We finished our walk out basement and added another 1000 square feet but it seldom gets used. The dogs are always laying where I want to walk. We have an island kitchen and invariably one is laying in front of the stove on one side of the island and the other in front of the sink on the other side of the island.

Both want to share our king bed but usually jump down after a while.

We live on 3 acres that includes a 10,000 square foot dog yard with a six foot chain link fence.

These are the last dogs we will own. One is 7 and the other just turned 5. At 70 and 74, caring for them has become a challenge. They are good boys and we love them; tears will be shed when they pass but.....

o

@ moccasinlanding - thanks, we think 1500 sq ft is just right, but we're not looking forward to the actual process of getting there. Fortunately we have offices, but no customers that come to them. We both work for companies, I go see my customers and his office is mostly for personal work.

o

Pomonaflower, I understand how you feel about the "last dogs." That is what I say about our two, a maltese and a dachshund. Much smaller, but we'd be unable to assure future pets a secure life. And I so well remember the tale of Black Beauty and the sad fate as it passed from owner to owner.
We are 74 and 78, a few steps further down the path of life, and it is truly a challenge to care for pets.

o

caligal: I have not read miss minamalist's book--just read the blog regularly.

Katrina ellen: 780 sq/ft for one person plus a cat is beyond enough room. I live in 500sq/ft w/ my sweetheart & 1 long/big cat. The ONLY area where we have less room since getting her 5 yrs ago is she wants THE ENTIRE QUEEN BED and since the room is only 8"X9" I have to climb over her and him to get a drink of water(she's a tuxedo so I can't always see her but she opens "alligator jaws" to let me know I'm too close !! oh and she takes up room by the steam pipe in the bathroom...LOL

o

2 adults, 1 pekingese, 1640 sq ft.
The basement is just for storage (1240 sq ft)
Dog is inside almost all the time. Colorado
winters are cold and pekes are not good outdoor
pets...

o

EATREALFOOD, lol, I can't wait to get a cat, he/she will bring life into my home. With 500 s/f you must have some organization skills, I've been purging my stuff ever since I moved in and working on how to use the walls for some storage. At least it stops me from collecting things.

o

1100 sq foot bungalow, me and three dogs. A large, ancient English Setter and two miniature schnauzers. Its a constant dance to keep everyone settled and everything clean. When you add my youngest daughter home for a visit, total chaos and I love every minute! But when the older dog passes, I have a rule, two dogs or 100 pounds- so that will limit the canine presence.

o

960 sq ft just the two of us (myself and mr darling) and one cat so far...kids are in the future so i'm sure we'll fill up fast! I love to hear that there are so many others living in small spaces! Let's see your small homes! Here's mine:
home sweet home traditional exterior

Plus, one of my favorite small houses (which makes mine look like an estate!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Think your house is small? Try finding all the space you need in 120 square feet

o

H!.. 1800 SF, colonial. Hubs, 1 kiddo, 2 cats and 1 dog (had a hamster and a fish : ). Trying to get rid of the (husband's) dog=ruined my beautiful brazillian cherry floors, and am hoping to redo them. We've got a family room, living room, dining, and kitchen and 1/2 bath on the first floor. Full basement, and 4 beds and 2 bathrooms on the second floor. Still seems rather tight for all of us.

o

dalmadarling, we are putting up the holiday lights this weekend. I will post a picture then.

o

1200 sq ft including basement playroom. We raised two children and two-three cats with the occasional visiting dog with no problems!

o

dalmadarling, your house is so cute. Kids do fill a house fast.

Our house was originally 1400 until we enclosed the garage. So now we are at 1800. No inside pets now. The cat has beds in the garage and the shed. He was a stray until about a year ago and will use anything as a scratching post. Except a scratching post.

o

Amazing at what one can do in an emergency! Our house is 1500sq, our son and three children moved in with 2 days notice after gaining custody, and we only had one bath working. Also, Sampson the 20 lb cat came along, they stayed 5 years, and when he remarried and moved out, Sampson stayed. Not wonderful, but we were able to make it work and actually were able to make quite a good time out of it. It worked for everybody, and I sure learned a lot... I had never been a "kid lover", but got to know them quite well, and you know the rest, lol!!

o

Oh wow, so many new names in this thread, I am over joyed!!!
Are we having a real BLOCK PARTY HERE? :)

My house is presently 1000 sq feet after we bumped out a little this side and walled in and floored there. And our greatest effort soon to come will add just another 60 square feet approximately. And that will be the end of it.
Just the two of us, just some drop in neighbors on occasion, seldom have overnight guests. Both of us love to garden, we have a girl dachshund and a boy maltese, and two male parrots. If I can find a recent pic of the house front, I will include it. Otherwise just a shot of my recently restored very beloved Teahouse, done up like an Irish cottage with a metal roof.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

DH enclosed an open porch in bad repair and now we have a sun porch.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

A BLOCK PARTY, that sounds great!! I'm throwing one next summer in our neighborhood for all our neighbors that moved in here (including us) in 1972, that's quite a few of us, and will include new neighbors to meet, too!

o

1200 sq.ft. raised ranch. 2 of us, 2 shelties, and a giant Pomeranian (22 lb - she's as large as the smaller sheltie).

o

OG, your block party sounds delightful. MUCH more neighborly and personal than what they call the neighborhood associations these days, which seem to mostly concentrate on keeping the neighborhood watch security alive, or trash problems. Not that those are not worthy causes, they are, but for the friendly aspect of it, the block party is the one which sets a personal tone.

OG, since your neighborhood seems to be one that is more settled, does it have a watch or association? How close are you to your neighbors? Not by feet, but close as in knowing? Down here, we refer to older neighbors as "Miss Annie" or "Miss Kate." In the case of my DH, who is from Massachusetts, he refers to older people (from his childhood) as "Aunt Dorothy," etc. But not related.

o

Nope, no association, just a simple middle-class little quiet neighborhood; it was strange, lots of school teachers and nurses! Our kids grew up together, played, fought, went to school, then on to college! We do what we want without rules, and get along just fine... it's casually close with the knowledge that if someone needs help, it's very close and available! Over the years the neighborhood has become totally diversified and in the process has become very interesting.

Our little shopping centers became rather blighted by the 90's, but eventually took on a life of their own. One side of the street is Hispanic, a grocery store with great vegetables, Mexican restaurant, the beer store (Pakistanis that were born here; he and his wife can get by with going back to Pakistan to visit relatives, but the kids can't, they're just too blatantly American!), not that they want to at this point. The other side of the street is mostly Vietnamese, there is a grocery store, restaurants, all entrepeneurs, so we have quite a thriving little economy going on here. My hairdresser in this particular shopping center is from Kenya, her father was an ambassador, lives in Canada. Then down the street is a Cuban cafe (great pastry), south american restaurant, etc. We have got it all!

Won't ramble any more, but got to say, I really like what's happened here, a lot of good, friendly people, and I hope I never have to move!

o

We have always had less than 1000 square feet, but this summer we bought a 1920's house that is 2049 square feet (counting basement), and boy is it huge! We have two adults and 2 cats, and everyone has his/her own space to just "be" if desired now. Funnily enough, though, we still tend to congregate in the same room.

o

1232 to be built; on 2 acres. Walkout, unfinished basement.
For us 2 adults and a cat.

Coming from a 800 or so sq foot apartment. Currently running out of room for all DH's fishing and hunting equipment..... so the basement will be handy.

Was raised in the same size house, with my parents and little brother so I think it will seem familiar!

o

My house is 1560 s.f. It's just me and my 3 cats. It's hard to keep clean (the cats don't help matters) and there are several rooms I rarely use. The 3rd cat put me over the edge. He's semi-feral. He was hanging around and crying pitifully when I moved here so I took him in. He gave my other 2 cats fleas, worms and infections from the fleas.

I work a lot and just find taking care of them all to be hard, but I love them all to pieces.

o

We also barely make the cut for this forum. Our house has is a 2,000 sq ft ranch. It was crowded with 4 kids, but our nest is empty now so we have a couple of bedrooms that are mostly closed off. We have three Shelties. One belongs to our youngest DD, and don't know when she will come and get her.

o

We have about 1500 sq. ft. for the two of us and two cats, and we feel that is just about perfect. I have thought about getting a small indoor dog, but I think that would probably be too crowded.

When we lived in 900 sq. ft. I did not feel that we had enough room for pets. I think my answer would be different if we were in a warmer climate and thinking about an outside dog.

o

2100 square feet (sorry, I'm over, but I feel this forum is closer to how I think than any other) two adults, three teenage boys (two over 6 feet tall), two dogs (small) and a rabbit. Also, no garage or basement! And we regularly have either my parents or hubbies parents for 3 or 4 days at a time. And my geek son would host lan parties with 5 or so friends at a time. So all those kids with their computers and monitors set up for the weekend!
Tight, but we made it through. It was actually a lot of fun, all of us are very close. Two of my kids have 'left the nest' and the rabbbit has gone to heaven, so there is a little more breathing room now!
S

o

We love in a 1.5 story cape cod, 2000 SF give or take, as we finish the basement...

We have two teenage boys and two female cats. With the way the "girls" insert themselves wherever we are, you could say there are six of us. Ha! I have a nephew who stays with us for sometimes a week (or more) at a time, several times a year, and repeatedly through the summer--I call him my third son.

When my parents visit (a few times a year), they bring their golden retriever, and the girls scamper to the basement, only daring to venture so far as the basement doorway. And they don't come up at all until the "coast is clear". :^D

Every summer, my brother and his family, my parents and their dog, and usually my "third son" will be here at one time. We have enough rooms where it doesn't seem too crowded...YET.

I've noticed that the bigger my boys get, the smaller the rooms in the house seem to be. Imagine that. ;^)

o

We have 1700SF with 2 adults and a baby...but I feel like this amount of space is way more then we need. We're minimalists for the most part though, we don't own or need much, so I don't think you can really go by us. But when I was growing up, our house was a little smaller then yours and we had 5 people and a dog. It was pretty cramped, but I think that if we had 3 people and 2 dogs, it would have been a lot better, for whatever that is worth!

o

Moc, your sunporch makes me smile EVERY time. I want one!!

I say "kids will be tight" for 2 reasons:
1. We want a slew of them! I'd love 5.
2. We have no basement for storage.
3. Did I mention storage??? With no basement, garage, fully enclosed shed, or good closets, that's quite an issue.

If they come without toys or "stuff," they'll fit. LOL! They'll just have to sleep three to a bed, and we can't have guests (like all the out of town grandparents)

Anyway, here's our stop on the block party!

o

Wow, young, that is a beautiful picture! Looks awesome on my iPad!

Still working on my husband for a second dog. This has turned out to be a good thread! Nice meeting you all!

o

I love your house young, and I think I remember pictures of it. Did you do the trim on the front porch?

o

We have 1500 square feet for 2 adults, 4 dogs and 3 cats. The dogs range from a 60 lb Shepherd to an 18 lb Bichon. The dogs and people usually hang out together in a 28x14 living/dining room. We have Costco pet beds along the wall wherever the furniture isn't. We are fortunate to have a covered front porch and a fenced front yard that is close to an acre....not that it matters, as the dogs just congregate on the porch.
Our bedroom is big enough to house 2 large dog crates and a King sized bed, so there is room for everyone to sleep somewhere in there.
Crate training a new dog would definitely maximize your space. We have done that for 2 of our larger dogs and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Our latest puzzle was how to keep the dogs out of the litter pan. We seem to have solved the snacking issue by using an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote with a 10 inch hole cut into the lid.

o

Wow 7 pets! I love cats and dogs so sounds good to me, must be a crazy household!

o

Ha!
The real craziness begins when all 4 insist on sitting in my Subaru during my 9 hour workday. That makes the house seem palatial!

o

Young, I LOVE that shot of your house. The sort of "hat band" around your front stoop area is very lacy and very dressy, which gives your home a lot of character.

And with our sun porch, we have been rearranging a LOT of things moved from the house up north to the house here in Alabama. Of course, both houses have a sun porch, the one I left behind me is long and narrow, and the one in this house is small and square. We moved both our swivel rockers (upholstered and small scale so they fit) out there, and now I'm considering a couple of peace lilies and the bougainvillea (when I cure it of black aphids...grrr)to keep it green looking. I'm such a sucker for plants....as I can tell that you are too. What a beautiful garden you have!

About room for the kids.
The Swedes have a good take on it. Their homes seem to have kind of bed alcoves, and all have curtains which can close. Assuming you have a mix, boys AND girls, there might be two areas but a pair of pocket doors to separate the two or not as you choose. By building up the bed area and putting drawers beneath, there could be storage there. And inside each alcove, a light, a couple of shelves, a set of earbuds to connect to the sound system for music (but not a lot of volume, or they'd all go DEAF). Assuming that the bed area is only for sleeping and maybe reading, you could have homework/play area somewhere else. But if you have all girls, bless your poor husband's heart, he'd have to put up with ALL THOSE PRINCESSES!!!!

o

Ooouh, Young, I love hydrangeas and yours are absolutely beautiful!

And your entry is so doggone charming--love that, too!

o

We have 1600 sf, one level,DH and I and adult son (it's a 3/2/2) and until recently 2 dogs-one we lost due to cancer :-(
I think you could make it work-as long as you don't get a mastiff or a Newfie!

o

Wow schmaltzy. That's a lot of four legged friends in one house! Sounds like you have it pretty much under control though.
Young, I also love the hydrangeas & have 3 varieties I try to keep alive here!

Jane, I just really love big dogs. Dreaming of a great Dane just now. I am so sorry you lost your dog to cancer.

o

I don't know our square footage, the house is a cape and space is used very efficiently, but we have seven kids and use one bedroom as a playroom with two boys in one bedroom, two more boys in another bedroom, and three girls in another bedroom.

o

Our home is just under 1500 s.f. I think, but that's including the unfinished basement. We don't even have a family room - just the living room/dining room and kitchen on the 1st floor (and small powder room). 3 bedrooms but one is so small I can't even believe a twin bed would fit in it comfortably; we use it as the office space. Let alone it doesn't even have a closet in it; it's got the walk-up attic access in their instead. Who knows it may not even have been a bedroom originally for all we know - the house is 95 years old.

Anyway, we're 2 people and 1 fat cat. We contemplate another kitty at times but we have nowhere to conveniently put a second litter box. Right now it's in the main bathroom, quite in the way. There's no room for another one in that room and we certainly aren't going to put one in a bedroom or a room where you eat. The Powder Room is way too small to fit one, and our basement is "off limits" to pets due to the condition it's in.

So a one pet house it remains. It's plenty :D

o

We have 2000 sq. feet and there are two adults, four kids (two are teens), three dogs (one large, one medium, one tiny) a cat, rabbits, parakeets, fish, and a box turtle.

Our last house was 1400 sq. ft and with four kids and all those pets, it's safe to say we learned how to maximize space.

Two comments I've often received about my home are that it seems larger on the inside than it looks from the outside, and "Where's all your stuff?" because we have less stuff sitting out than maybe the average home with four kids.

My DDs did sleep three to a bed until they were 12, 10, and 8. They had two beds but preferred to sleep in one and use one for stuffed animal/doll territory :)

o

I have approx 950 sq ft (soon to expand another 250 sq ft) and 1 dog who is mainly outside and 2 puppies who live inside. Even though they are Chihuahuas (2 & 3 lbs) their stuff has overtaken my bedroom.

Lucy and Belle
Photobucket

o

1200 sq ft, nothing special 1970s ranch-style. 4 people (myself, my husband, two small boys) and no pets. To be honest, I do not see myself ever being happy in this house -- we've lived here 10 years already -- but I am growing more content as we make remodeling changes.

o

Loretta, they are adorable!

melle sacto, that's the way I feel about my house too, and we've been here almost 16 years. Makes me wonder if I'll ever be happy in any house.

o

Our 1913 bungalow is right around 1750 square feet (~1200 downstairs and ~550 in the half story). DH, our 2 rescue cats and I call it home. For about the last 8 years we've lived mainly in the downstairs and that 1200 square feet was plenty for us. The upstairs remodel adding back that 550 square feet feels like luxury! :-)

o

We have 5 dogs, small to very large, 2 cats, a bird, aquariums, no kids (grown) in 2000 sq. ft. This is our 'final' home, I hope. We downsized 12 yrs. ago from 2700 sq. ft. We have plenty of room. I'd say 90% of my housework is pet related. I don't mind, the dogs and cats are great company and very entertaining. We also have 2 senior horses in the back yard.

o

I'm new, so reading old posts to catch up. (I'm not really new, as I was on G-web years back, but now I'm retired.) I love the pictures people sent in. I love bungalows.
My not-a-Craftsman bungalow is about 1250 sq ft and I say it's just right, now that I'm divorced and my kids have moved out! But I'm a hoarder of quilt fabric.
I had to give up my cat because of allergy. But now I have a sweetie with two bouncy and boisterous Bichon Frises. For some reason, they always beat me to the top of the stairs; then, when I come down, they stay on the step behind me and push! I wonder if they're homicidal.
I have never owned dogs. I'm not sure how I'd like it if they were here all the time. Fortunately, I have a laundry room just off the kitchen. We put up a baby gate and corral them when they are a bother.

o

LOL kalmiopsis at your homicidal dogs. Sounds like they want to encourage you to hurry so they can get down the stairs, but they are too polite to charge in front of you.

We had dogs for almost 30 years and now have had a cat for the last year and a half. I've noticed with the cat, it's all about him. He has no qualms about rushing ahead of us so he is first in the door, first out the door, first to the food bowl, and so on.

o

We have just under 900SF with an additional 100SF sunroom and a full unfinished basement. 2 adults, a toddler and 2 large dogs (60lbs and 85lbs). That being said the kid takes up way more room than the pets. They are lazy and are always curled up out of the way sleeping.

o

We have just under 1600 sq. ft. and 3 dogs/1 cat. We don't have any children yet (were just married in November), but DH says he's at his limit for dogs. I see his point, we've been dogsitting his dad's great dane/lab mix for a few weeks and the 4th dog thing (esp. such a BIG one) is a lot of maneuvering around!

o

We have ~1400 sq. ft. with 2 bipeds and 2 feline quadrupeds. No problems with space to date. I'm in the process of convincing Mrs. J_D that we have room for a canine quadruped. :-)

o

Poking my head in to see if it's ok....

I have a just 2,000 sqft house, but there are 8 of us living here. I have six kids....five are teens. My house was not built for a family of 8, but it's where we're at.

Our last house was 1100 sq ft with 7 people and 1 bathroom so when we moved here is was mansion-like.

I want to go minimalist (or at least unburden myself from some stuff) so I thought here would be a good place for ideas.

o

We have 1140 sqft log cabin home for a family of 4, kids are 7 and 4yrs old, plus a 75lb husky/lab mix. kids are growing, too much stuff but we had a 178lb-er who passed away, and a 90lb-er too (over the years here) I miss them both more than any possessions I have ever owned. It's tight in here when we have a visitor or 4. We do have lots of yard space (1.5acres) but our pets are always inside animals. There was a small period of time when we had just humans and I remember thinking "so this is what it's like to not have to vaccuum daily and step over dishes, store vet meds,...but alas, something was missing. Jump forward one month, and yes, I had to vaccuum daily, step over and find space for all the doggy toiletries. I felt such a void in my life. I do often feel deprived of things in a small space, a dog was not going to be one of them. I did wait until the clan was in agreement though on the adoption.

o

We are in a 1800 sq ft rental with no pets, me, my husband, my 11 month old and my 2.5 year old. The house we just moved from was 1350 and all the same people lived there PLUS a 70lb rottie (who has passed since). This rental feels too big to me! We are building and I hope to keep it around 1600 or so (but it will have a small bonus room so we are not fighting with the girls for the tv when they are older) lol. I HATE unused space. This rental as a huge section of the living room (supposed to be the formal dining) that we never really go in. Such a waste.

This was my little 1350 house that we bought as newlyweds. The only remodeling we did was to add on that dining nook. It used to be all front porch.

o

And because looking at the pictures of that house made me miss it, here is the cute kitchen:

o

I recently moved into my new (to me) home. It is about 1400 sq ft and it is my son, small dog, cat and me. In a few weeks my son will be moving out to go to college so it will be just me rattling around in the house.

I feel like I have enough space to be quite comfortable, but not too much to keep clean. There is room for guests and a lovely garden that I am really enjoying. In the past I have had the too big house and I never want to do that again.

o

We just downsized from 3000 SqFt (because it was too big) to 1700 SqFt. We have 2 adults, 3 kids (10,8&6), 1 dog and 2 new kittens. I actually think we still have too much room. I don't miss our huge house and am loving our new smaller space.

o

OH it is so nice to see more people posting to this thread. Welcome. Please start posts about your small houses and how you make them work for you. We all love to gab it up and pictures are such a bonus.

sweet.reverie your sweet little house is just darling. I bet it was hard to leave behind.

o

Hi our house is 561 square feet. 2 adult, 3 kids ages 12, 10 and 6. 1 chihuaha, 2 parakeets and a 30 gal fish tank. We have 1 and 1/2 bathrooms the 1/2 bath shares the washer and dryer and is in ex basement LOL. The ex basement is where our kids share a 10 x 15 room with a very low ceiling and we have a 9x10 room, also with a very low ceiling. No height for bunk beds unfortunatly. The main floor is an open floor plan with a kitchen living room, dining are and full bath. Tiny but it is liveable.

o

I can join, finally! We are about to move into our new home, it is right at 2000 sf, so I'm right on the cusp of eligibility. :)
We have 2 adults, 2 small kids and 1 large dog. We are moving from a 3200 sf + 1000 sf basement house, and I'm excited about a smaller space. Much easier to keep clean, but it will require us to divest of may of our belongings. This is A-ok with me; I'm attached to only a very few things.

o

My house is a ranch style and is 1300 sf. There is just me and my 9 lb dog (sometimes I think about adding another small dog).

o

I replied to this in January - but finally had the house painted a couple of months ago, it was a wreck when we took it over from the prior owner. So here's a couple of shots of our small home. It looks larger than it is from the exterior. Again, it's only about 1500-1600+/- even with the basement and attic combined.

Home 6/12

Home 6/12

o

Welcome to the newcomers. Hope you join on the other posts to let us know what you are up to in your smaller homes.

sivyaleah your house is as cute as can be. Love the shady cool front porch and your pretty back patio.

o

Good to see this thread is still alive. I've been away from GW, but I'm happy to be back. So nice to see your homes and pets.

We have not adopted another dog, and most likely won't for some time. A recent dog beach incident, where our dog aspirated salt water into his lungs, turned out to be a very expensive day at the beach. I was shocked into the reality of the expenses of pet ownership.

For now, we will enjoy our beastie boy and our cat. Here is a picture of our Davis. Usually he sprawled out in the kitchen or blocking an entryway. Here he resting peacefully in front of the TV. Take note of how he blends perfectly with our flooring. Good for hiding hair, bad when you don't see him in the dark and trip!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Aw Davis is a handsome guy. I know all about animal expense. We have the wild bunch of porch kitties. I saw one was drooling. Made arrangements with our vet to bring her in whenever I could get her caught. She is seriously a wild cat. So finally I got her caged and took her down and the vet had to pull all her back teeth, keep her over night and all the special handling. All that money for a wild cat named Psycho. But I would not be responsible pet owner to let her suffer. She is doing well and on canned food.

I like it Davis blends in. We have mostly black inside animals and light carpets. I have to vacuum daily.

Glad you are back and so glad Davis is doing well again.

o

Sivaleyah-your home is gorgeous! Do you mind sharing the color? Ours needs a paint job and that is exactly what I had in mind.

Caligal-Davis is adorable. Scary about the salt water-glad he's ok.

o

Thanks shades & drybean, he is an awesome companion.

I, too, would like to know the paint colors of your house sivaleyah. Looks wonderful!

o

MOmmysean, you sound a little squished together. Don't over feed those kids! 561 sq ft is tiny even with the basement.

o

1450 sq ft, 4 of us, including 2 young boys plus 1 70# dog. Plenty of room for her but she is always underfoot. Has to be by her people, room to room. :)

Planning on moving in the next 18 mos. We want to expand a little but I am finding for some crazy reason that wanting 3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths with a good layout jumps you up to 2000 sq. feet. Where are the 1800 sq. foot homes?

I may need you all to keep me in line. I do not want to go big as I am the housekeeper here and we want it to also be our empty nest home when the time comes.

Good to 'meet' you all.

o

Welcome Autumn. We had an 1140 SQ FT house with one bath. The next owner added a second bath. Bumping up the SQ FT a bit. We have a three and two in 1375 SQ FT now but it is a manufactured home. One bedroom is kind of small at 13 by 9. The other two bedrooms are good sized.

Chris

o

Well, I don't belong here, unfortunately. I wish there was a modest home forum where people who have vinyl windows, pressure treated decks and "those ugly metal threshholds" on their doors could hang out and not be too intimidated to share.
Anyways, we are building a 2415 sq ft home with 5 bedrooms. There's six of us most of the time, occassionally nine. This will be the first time my youngest won't be sleeping in my bedroom, I can't wait (he just turned 4). We also have 4 fat cats, 1-75 lb dog, and a bunch of chickens, ducks, and turkeys - but the birds stay outside, most of the time :-).
LOL caligal - I should have picked a floor to match my dog.

o

momo7 we would NEVER tell you you can not come play with us. With as many children and kitties your 2415 build could be considered small. You easily could run into the needs of conserving space we all face at times.

Do not worry about the vinyl windows and metal thresholds and pressure treated decks. I did not know there was anything else???? There is Really??? Not in my vocabulary. We have them all and it is fine with us.

o

Awww Shades, thank you. I must admit I was hoping someone woud officially invite me.

o

You really do not need an official invite. Come on in and share and we love pictures.

So the way I look at it. We have 1375 for two people. That is almost 700 SQ FT each and DH has a 30 by 30 shop with loft for storage. I think the loft is 30 by 8. I use most of it. It is not packed full. It is just nice to have a place for the extra stuff. I am known to change our house around often. I recycle things in and out.

As I see it you are actually going to live smaller than we are. 6 into 2400 is 600 Each person and some times you even have more. So come on in and don't stumble over that metal threshold. Snicker. Are they really ugly?? Do I need to change ours?

o

" a modest home forum where people who have vinyl windows, pressure treated decks and "those ugly metal threshholds" on their doors could hang out and not be too intimidated to share. "

hey, you been reading my threads? well, actually I guess that means you HAVEN'T. I just put in a metal threshold! I looked at a wooden one but then during a recent rain the water came in under my door so I figured metal would be safer - and last longer!

my new windows are vinyl. the old ones are metal but I didn't want metal for the new ones.

I don't have a deck tho. Not sure I ever will. I'd just be grateful to have a decent set of steps! that'll be a project coming up...

glad to have ya aboard!

o

Thanks shades...the kids bedrooms are 11x11 I think and they seem to be plenty big. We aren't planning on making them larger when we build.

Momo7- Well we have a deck - that was probably put on to say 'it has a deck' since it's so small it is pretty much useless to actually use with any kind of table and seating or anything, let alone a bbq grill. Right now it has a couple of chairs on it and that's it - it's more of an entrance to the back yard and my dogs perch for viewing birds. She uses it most for sure. It's in rough shape from the weather and I refuse to stain it 'one more time'. Will have to replace the lumber before we sell. Warping boards and nails sticking up-shoes are a must. As for all of your pets - hubby is telling me when we move to the woods - we may try a small chicken coop. It will definitely have to be outside of the dogs boundry - not sure how that would work!

Count us in for the vinyl windows as well.

Caligal-love your 'puppy'. Ours is a golden mix - such a wonderful personality.

o

sivyaleah - I love your house! The exterior is fantastic as is the patio.

caligal - Davis is handsome fellow. :-)

o

Ok, I want to play!

Our house is a smidge over 2000 square feet, and there are me and my DH, our 26 yo son, DH's 83 yo DM, 3 cats, a 110 lb Great Pyranees, a Blue Heeler, and a Border Collie. The horses live outside.

Sometimes I feel a bit crowded, but this house is quite open. Our previous house gave me claustrophobia and depression, even though I think it had more sq. footage!

Nancy

o

1407 sqft - 2 adults and 4 indoor cats. We also have family that stays with us off an on when they are in town. One of the guest rooms is closed off completely so the cats don't get their hair everywhere :)

o

My ca. 1892 house is approx. 1000 sq ft and I have a husband, a beagle, and 3 cats and I feel like there's sufficient room for everyone. My biggest complaint is lack of storage because no attic or garage and only 2 closets in the entire house therefore I don't hold onto a lot of things. I would suggest a chihuahua for Caligal - my neighbors have two and they're so tiny and cute.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here