Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Week Five of Construction on White Dove

User
9 years ago

I have a lot of new pictures that I uploaded to the Flickr album. I'll put a few of them here, and for all of them, complete with my comments, please click one photo here and it will take you to the album.

Work is progressing. Monday they corrected the rise and tread depth of the steps. My DH is not able to come up steep steps, so we had them lower the rise and widen the treads. Now they are easier for me too.

First is the original framing cut for the steps, upon which I wrote my usual notes to the workers. I also emailed the info to the contractor, and left a printed note stuck to a nail inside the new addition. I used to do this for my boat crew, left notes everywhere for them, and it drove them wild. hehehe

And then in this photo you can see that it is now corrected to a better proportion. The steps are four foot wide. I like this view of the addition. It is coming right along. I think I took this shot this morning before the crews showed up, it was in the high 30s and sun was barely covering the trees across the street from our front yard. None of this work will show from the street, it might appear to be the same little house. Actually it will have a really nice kitchen, 2 master suites, but still only 2 bedrooms. Unless someone decides to turn the new sitting room into something like a guest room. But, they'd have someone passing through to the master. I don't think this house should be forced to have three bedrooms anyway. It is what it is, a small cottage with a new outlook on life.

Note that the right end of the deck has a lowered area with no boards on it? That is where the outdoor shower pan will sit. The tall 4x4 will support any curtain or panel I decide to install later for privacy from our roofsitting neighbor. Also note, the clipped corner on the deck? That is to give plenty of space for my DH to access HIS side of the garden and his workshop. His ladders can store beneath the deck, which will be enclosed below by squared lattice panels. I'll have a similar access panel at the opposite end of the deck, but that end will have no lopped off corner.

And for a few more pictures now...
Washer hookup, refrigerator water line. Electrician has not done his work yet.

Dog door from inside. It has a security panel over it in this shot. We waited to order window until it came in the mail, because the window sill should not interfere with sliding the panel in place to block the door off.

Looking through the window above the dog door. The washer/dryer stacking unit will be installed to the right of this window.

I'm standing in the neighbor's garden (isn't that a gorgeous Japanese maple she has?) looking west toward our house.

Here is the layout including our chainlink fence covered in star jasmine, the Teahouse roofline, and the gable of the new addition above the shade screen.

And the last one I'll load today, showing how the shade screen is preventing damage to my hosta garden. No trespassing of materials at all. The workers without exception realize that space is off limits. Even with the hostas dormant, the garden looks very special.

Comments (6)

• finallyhome
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great progress. Moving right along. I know it sounds funny, but this will change your life.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

it's looking so good! soon they'll be able to open up into the old part, right? you are just not gonna know what to do with yourself when it's done... all that room - and your stove finally!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steph, FinallyHome, you are both right. It is already changing my life. And, I won't know what to do with the space. True I do believe.

The friends we bought this house from came over yesterday bringing treats for our dinner, and of course they looked at the addition. We had to go around the house to see it, not broken through to the existing part yet. Both of them are boat and water people, and they noticed immediately the resemblance of the deck to a dock! I was pleased that this is coming across. It wasn't my original concept, but I noticed it too. Which is why I am increasing that effect where I can. I might even find a home for blue-leafed plants adjacent to the borders to soften the edges...look like typical water....or else BROWN LEAVES (you know, dead plants) to look like the RIVER WATER. heheheheh Truly I'm thinking evergreen in our zone could work. Maybe even some hosta, which could take the sun from morning until early afternoon when the house itself will shield the plants from late afternoon sun. Anyway, that is for next year. I have in mind some very sunproof medium sized hosta that are green to gold with lots of sun. One called 'Squash Casserole' has performed beautifully here so that is on the list, as is the rest of the hosta in her family. Perhaps a few blue leafed hosta in the shadier spots...because those will turn blue-green in our growing zone. I am thinking in raised bed instead of containers, but we'll see.

My DH is not faring well with the changes. He does not LIKE change. I of course thrive on it. He says I change things just to be changing them. I think I'll begin a new thread about this topic, to draw opinions from you guys on that subject. So look for it, and put your thoughts in that so others might find it.

You all are great. My help in times of stress. Have a happy weekend, stay away from Black Friday sales, it is a storm waiting to zap you.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

It is looking wonderful ML. I will go over to Flicker to look at the rest. Will catch up with you personally soon. Loving all your photos. Back to work here. This place looks a disaster.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I love remodeling pictures. Hoping to get the nerve to get started on my projects.

Where is the Flicker album?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, FinallyHome, you can click on any one of the photos above, and it should take you to the album. However, I'll give you the link directly to the album below.

This was a short week, since they all left Wednesday and haven't been back. I hope the roofing comes, it was supposed to be delivered Friday but was not. The new roof was to go on since all of that work is ready to do, and our crew of carpenters went to another job while it was going on. They said while they were walking on the roof, our shingles were crumbling underfoot! I knew it was bad, we were hoping the remodel would begin before we began having leaks. Plaster interior walls do not play well with roof leaks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Remodel-1 Album

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus