Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace Detail...for Trance-Gemini

Posted by moccasinlanding (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 18, 10 at 12:53

The fireplace is tiled, sort of unglazed and the size of subway tiles or thin bricks. I hope these photos show what you need to see. If you need more, let me know.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The following photo shows how the fireplace fits into the room, with the molding and mantle. I would remove the molding which forms a frame above the mantle, because it is not a proportion which makes it easy to put a picture in the space.
This shows the grout lines at the edge. Pretty wide, IMHO.

Not shown, the other fireplace in the living room or parlor. It is faced in polished 12 x 12 black granite tiles. So is the hearth. It gives a more formal effect.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace Detail...for Trance-Gemini

Thanks ML, I've never seen a fireplace tiled like that before in two different tones but I really like it! and I think it adds some interest. I've thought about marble for mine but I think it would be too expensive and maybe too formal for my house. I like the matt finish on them too, hmm, this has given me a lot to think about and I have an orangey colour in the LR at the moment which I'll re paint in the future to a more gold colour so I can already see that it will work with those warm type of colours. Thanks for posting it :)

o

Trance, is this a different fireplace that you are working on? I thought you had finished your living room mantle and hearth already

I know you are reaching springtime in WA, so will be spending more time outdoors and less on the computer. Be sure to check in regularly with your progress.

o

"I thought you had finished your living room mantle and hearth already "

lol, you'd think I would have by now but I got the legs done and havent done the top board yet, and then I still need to figure out the tiling.

In the mean time I've been making some bedding and getting distracted with other projects again. I just never seem to get enough time to do all the things I want, Im like a turtle just crawling along :)

o

And of course you remember that the WINNER of the race between the tortoise and the hare WAS.......

Persistence must pay off, right?
:)

o

oh I think the both the tortoise and the hare have packed up and gone home by the time I get done :) but I'll get there in the end.

I did get the kitchen ceiling patched up and painted as well and we have very decorative crown moulding in there that is painstakingly slow to do by hand but I was glad to get that done because it was really bothering me so the fireplace just seems to get pushed to the back of the list a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here