Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Fireplace Detail...for Trance-Gemini

User
13 years ago

The fireplace is tiled, sort of unglazed and the size of subway tiles or thin bricks. I hope these photos show what you need to see. If you need more, let me know.

The following photo shows how the fireplace fits into the room, with the molding and mantle. I would remove the molding which forms a frame above the mantle, because it is not a proportion which makes it easy to put a picture in the space.

This shows the grout lines at the edge. Pretty wide, IMHO.

Not shown, the other fireplace in the living room or parlor. It is faced in polished 12 x 12 black granite tiles. So is the hearth. It gives a more formal effect.

Comments (5)

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

Thanks ML, I've never seen a fireplace tiled like that before in two different tones but I really like it! and I think it adds some interest. I've thought about marble for mine but I think it would be too expensive and maybe too formal for my house. I like the matt finish on them too, hmm, this has given me a lot to think about and I have an orangey colour in the LR at the moment which I'll re paint in the future to a more gold colour so I can already see that it will work with those warm type of colours. Thanks for posting it :)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Trance, is this a different fireplace that you are working on? I thought you had finished your living room mantle and hearth already

I know you are reaching springtime in WA, so will be spending more time outdoors and less on the computer. Be sure to check in regularly with your progress.

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

"I thought you had finished your living room mantle and hearth already "

lol, you'd think I would have by now but I got the legs done and havent done the top board yet, and then I still need to figure out the tiling.

In the mean time I've been making some bedding and getting distracted with other projects again. I just never seem to get enough time to do all the things I want, Im like a turtle just crawling along :)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And of course you remember that the WINNER of the race between the tortoise and the hare WAS.......

Persistence must pay off, right?
    :)

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

oh I think the both the tortoise and the hare have packed up and gone home by the time I get done :) but I'll get there in the end.

I did get the kitchen ceiling patched up and painted as well and we have very decorative crown moulding in there that is painstakingly slow to do by hand but I was glad to get that done because it was really bothering me so the fireplace just seems to get pushed to the back of the list a lot.