Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Small cottage plan?

robo (z6a)
10 years ago

Hi everyone! I posted this on the build forum a couple of months ago, then stuff happened, then now we might be back to building.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have run across a really smart, efficient, interesting, affordable small 3-bed cottage plan. If we do build, we'll go to a local factory home builder but I'd like some ideas to bring to the table.

What I would like to shoehorn into about 1000sq feet (if possible): 3 beds, 2 baths, stairs to basement, the closets you'd expect (broom, coat, linen), and a stacking washer-dryer.

I found one plan that seems to fit the bill (with some modification) but would love to know if you've seen anything else out there?

Link to thread on the build forum

The plan I most like that I've seen so far:

Comments (11)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My take on that plan (added basement stairs, made a bit smaller - 25x42 exterior dimsensions)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Here's one I have bookmarked. It's a 4 bedroom, but I would use that space to expand the master bedroom/bath & laundry.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I didn't notice you had posted the 2nd version. I like it much better. Less wasted space. And if you flipped the living/kitchen part, your front door wouldn't open into the kitchen.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your bookmarked plan marti8a! It looks very nice. I like the idea of two 'wings' for bedrooms off the main living area. And thanks for the suggestion of flipping living and kitchen. I think it works better.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 16:57

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I like your revised plan! Just a few small suggestions...to move the doorway over as Marti mentioned and make the bedrooms a little more private. I think this would work best, with a pocket door to the basement. I'm hoping to find a french door style, for my remodel...so the basement stairs get a little more daylight :)

{{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Oops! I just realized I covered up the coat closet! I'll have to keep working on this :)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lavender_lass, thanks as always for your help and drawings. They are so helpful!

This is the only other plan I've found that seems to fit the bill at 1100sf (exterior dimensions). The bedrooms are bigger, huge plus, but I don't know about having only one door in and out.

And here is the other plan reversed:

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I like that! My only suggestion...and of course, I'm spending your money (LOL) is to add a screened porch on the side, off the kitchen and master bedroom. Maybe even have doors out from the bedroom, for a hot tub? Or just great seating and no bugs! :)

Maybe something like this? {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lavender_lass, I 1000% agree about a screen porch. I told DH it is my one must-have. MUST! Whether we build or buy.

I'm thinking that I will now take this thread back over to the build forum to avoid double posting in too many forums. I know you post there as well and I always appreciate your input! DH got "some ideas" in his head after seeing marti8a's plan and now wants to know if we can get master bedroom on lake side of house so that's what I'm working on.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 20:40

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

LOL, the more I look at your plan, the more I like it better. I do like that your 2nd plan has walk in closets in a couple of rooms. That would be wonderful. The hardest part of a small home for me is the lack of storage. We've added a ton here, but there seems to be a constant need for more.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I tinkered with Marti's plan a bit (great plan BTW) and added a couple of feet to the living room kitchen, to give the dining table a little more space.

If the closet/pantry was shortened a bit, there might be room for a work table/island, with a couple of stools. Then, you'd look out at the view, even while working in the kitchen :)

Oh, and I would add the screened porch off the right side, so you can access it from the main living area (but not block your view) and it can double as a mudroom, in bad weather. {{gwi:1497850}}From Kitchen plans

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus