Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
young_gardener54

Let the DEMO begin!

young-gardener
12 years ago

After Muuuuuchhhhhh (much, much) debate and lots of bids, we've decided to work around the existing wall placement. *sigh* Ultimately, it will give us more flexibility when we need to move....if/when that time comes.

Meanwhile....a water problem in the kitchen has pushed us into an unexpected remodel, and I thought ya'll would like to see the progress. Here's the link to the post on Kitchens:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg111212422118.html

But, you can find the progress pictures at the link below.

THE HASTY PLAN...

{{!gwi}}

And here's why I've been MIA for so long...

http://sweetteaandlemon.wordpress.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: KITCHEN PICTURES on pinterest

Comments (13)

• User
    12 years ago

just to make the link active and clickable. I'll read and comment on your new thread later. Sometimes we get PUSHED into taking action and that ends all the discussion. How wise you were to tie a bag over the hanging light fixture!!

Here is a link that might be useful: link to the Kitchens forum thread

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, we weren't so wise when we melted the bag to the living room fixture, unfortunately. Haha! We learned a lot during these first two rooms, so we're hoping the next round of rooms goes more smoothly. :)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I'm sorry about the leak, that's never fun. How exciting that you are going to start your kitchen reno though. I love the lights you found. Where did you find them? I really, really, love them.

I also ADORE the cabin you posted on your blog. I want it. I want to move it here, or I'll move there. At the very least, I want to do the ceiling thing in my house. And the dining room. And the master bedroom. And all of it.

I cracked up when I saw the two bathtubs. Every time that Cial*s (sorry, but GW doesn't like that word - insert another "i" where the * is if you can't figure it out) commercial with the bathtubs, I tell dh how it looks so relaxing, and then he starts in on "where's the towels?", "where are their clothes", etc. But it does look romantic.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, Marti, after getting off the phone with Ikea (only to find we STILL have to drive up there tomorrow), that was just the laugh I needed. Thanks!

I felt the same way about the cabin. DH kept saying, 'Let's make them an offer.' Ha! Yeah right, like they'd take what we could offer!! It was stunning. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

The lights are from Signature Hardware. They have others in that series, too. I just found out they are back orded until mid-January (bummer!!), but I decided to wait for them. I think they'll work out just right. The challenge will be having the power put in at just the right spot without having the lights as a guide for placement. Eep! Let's hope I get it right!

Anywho....headed to Ikea to brave the Saturday crowds and try *again* to order my cabinets. Cross your fingers that they have everything in stock! We really don't want to have to rent a truck and drive through ATL with it two different times. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: LIght Source

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Ikea on Saturday sounds like a nightmare. I went one time during the week and it was wild.

Thanks for the link, I really like those lights and would like them hanging over the bar instead of pendants. Think that would look ok?

Are you putting in wood counters from Ikea or somewhere else? On all the counters? I love them and would like to have them on the bar, but I'm really leaning to a one level bar and the stove top will be on the counter and hopefully, it will be gas. Other people have said a wood counter and gas isn't a good idea but I don't know why. It's not like the wood will be near the flame, right?

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I can't find that light fixture. Do you know what item # it is?

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

marti8a~

The site is set up kink-of wanky ...
    Go to exterior lights...scroll to the bottom where it looks like that is all there is because they end without a full line of lights...Look to the right there are more pages..

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.signaturehardware.com/product8207

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey!

Here's a link to the pendant version. I think it would be great for a bar! I find it by searching "Maritime" at the top of the website.

We are going with Ikeas wood counters...and have a gas range. I hadn't heard about that conflict. I know our neighbors have the same combo and haven't had problems though.

The cart-style island will be marble (a piece I'm reclaiming from a coffee table), but everything else will be wood. I'm doing a honed instead of polished backsplash in case anyone ever wants to upgrade the counters to something with a polished finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maritime Pendant for your bar

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link, I never would have found it. I didn't think it would be in exterior lights so didn't look at that section.

I can't wait for dh to take his afternoon nap break so I can show him your vacation cabin. I can't get it out of my head.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

YG, did you say somewhere that you are going to have a hidden microwave? If that was you, how are you going to do it?

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Marti8a! That was me. I'm installing a cabinet style pantry in the breakfast room, with access to an outlet. The mw, which we rarely use, will be located inside that cabinet. One of my favorite GW's for a hidden MW is histokitch. Have you seen her photos? She has a neat kitchen.

Here's our progress:

All of the cabinets/shelves on the other wall are gone, also. We have built all of the cabinet boxes for the new cabinets.

DH just informed me that we will be ripping up the floor. YIKES! It's three layers deep.

Prayers, please, and lots of them! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: histokitch album --- fun kitchen

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Wow! You two must be working on it non-stop. Seems like you just said you were going to do it, and now you already have cabinets built. I'm impressed.

That is a neat kitchen you linked. I hadn't seen it before. I like the idea of a hidden microwave, but I don't think dh would go for it behind doors he had to open every time he wanted to warm up a cup of soup. But I'll keep looking and thinking. I like mama goose's bread door idea too.

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've seen it behind roll up doors or lift up doors. DH loves roll ups. I've also seen a GW kitchen (can't remember which one) that had it in an open cabinet. The cabinet was positioned in such a way that you couldn't see it as you faced the kitchen. It was tucked in a corner of sorts and was a neat idea.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville